Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    heh - we have both, but we abide by the old adage "if your going to be stupid, you better be tough" - we're tough
    Tough and stupid is a *quality* combination of traits. You can accomplish almost anything with these...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    As a kid on a canoe trip in norther Ontario we stayed in a really cool cabin reachable only by days of paddling, until the French Canadian trapper who owned it threw us out.
    Heh - Algonquin park?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    However, I think buying a little land in a nice spot on a lake or stream and having a sweet RV to park there would be a good alternative. Basically creating your own permanent campsite where you can live in total comfort, but with the option of taking the RV to other awesome places on vacation. My personal feeling is that the rustic allure of an actual cabin wears thin and it certainly can cost $$$. My 88 yo dad has a 1920s cabin on a lake and while I've been going there for 35 years and I love it, I have witnessed how much work and expense it is to own something like that.
    That's something I was interested in too. But was reading somewhere recently that a lot of people are trying to go this way and getting burned because they don't research local ordinances before buying their piece of land. RVs apparently don't meet a lot of code requirements in many places so living in one on your land isn't allowed. Presumably sewer would be a big one. You might be able to get away with it in some places but all it takes is an asshole neighbor to turn you in.

I’ve been very tempted by a floating cabin, with a pointy tall thing on top of it. It’s a terrible idea and I really need to forget about it, but the idea keeps floating back into my consciousness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10749992_10152431466990756_731479709411432100_o.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	337641
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	295087_10150675313985756_98569405755_9743074_1657506793_n.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	337640  
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    I’ve been very tempted by a floating cabin, with a pointy tall thing on top of it. It’s a terrible idea and I really need to forget about it, but the idea keeps floating back into my consciousness.

If not for yourself... at least do it for your friends.

Where can a list of mining claims for sale be found?

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    Stabbin' cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    That's something I was interested in too. But was reading somewhere recently that a lot of people are trying to go this way and getting burned because they don't research local ordinances before buying their piece of land. RVs apparently don't meet a lot of code requirements in many places so living in one on your land isn't allowed. Presumably sewer would be a big one. You might be able to get away with it in some places but all it takes is an asshole neighbor to turn you in.
    The problem is likely they are trying to spend too much time in the RV. Some ordinances specify maximum stays like 5 nights in a 90 day window, or 5 nights a year, or some such and longer stays require a permit (in WI it’s as an accessory dwelling if it’s seasonal v <30 days I think) Other places, like parts of Montana, probably don’t give a fuck.

The nice thing about an event would be it’s mostly self contained, and you don’t hav3 to keav3 it to the ravages of rural tweakers.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Where can a list of mining claims for sale be found?
    https://minelistings.com/country/usa...ines-for-sale/

I looked into this for a bit. So far as I could tell, tough to develop, at least in Colorado, where most land use planning is trying to push development into the valleys.

My Grandfather bought this piece of land in about 1930. He had three houses knocked down by hurricanes on it, in 1938, 1944 and 1954 and the he gave up and built inland a ways. "Three storms of the century in 16 years is enough for me." is supposedly the quote. Our family has always kept it though.

Nowadays it's basically impossible to build here. All the existing houses were built before Hurricane Bob in 1991, after which the laws changed. But we can build anything that doesn't need a building permit, which in this town means you can build something that's no more than 12' in length or width.

There's no power, water or sewer. There's a dirt road about a mile long down to it down through a big wildlife sanctuary: https://www.massaudubon.org/get-outd...es/allens-pond

People have cisterns and portapotties. They deliver water down the road once a week in in summer and on demand the rest of the year. Same deal with the portapotties, they drive the pump truck down once a week in summer.

The pipe sticking out of the sand is the pipe to my grampa's septic system, the beach was quite a ways further out back then. The lot is only 50 feet wide but it's almost 3 acres, it goes way back into the marshe behind the beach and under the pond, they knew it would erode when they laid the lots out way back when.

We're gonna build a deck on pilings back behind the dune and then after a bit put something on the deck. One suggestion has been a yurt and that's a possibility. But I think a funky little shingled shack would be better. I want to be able to sleep in there and cook a meal and store some beach chairs and that's about it.

It's a pretty special place. Direct oceanfront and almost toally secluded except for the ~15 neighbors. Gonna get started on a parking area and the deck this fall. Beyond that we'll see.

The beach got slammed by Isaias, it's not normally this rocky. It'll come back, it always does.

Name:	IMG_1057.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	392.2 KB 
ID:	337651

Name:	IMG_1069.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	365.6 KB 
ID:	337652

Name:	IMG_1068.JPG 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	337653

Name:	IMG_1062.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	337656

Name:	IMG_1060.JPG 
Size:	375.1 KB 
ID:	337654

You can see the roof of my wife's car behind the dune, that's where the place will be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1070.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	337655  
    Last edited by ötzi; 08-19-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post

Name:	IMG_1069.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	365.6 KB 
ID:	337652
    not much of a cabin but ok
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It's a start

There's petrified grampa shit down under there I think. we're gonna leave it there.

I'm a shitty photographer and it was a grim day but it's a beautiful place and I thought some "before" pics might be cool.

So you have to poop in that tube?

Just went in with 2 other families on a little compound in the middle of nowhere. Off the grid; solar, propane and a well. 2 of the structures are from the late 1800's, and two more modern buildings. We're in the market for an additional cabin to put on the property, so I'll be watching this thread! We're thinking of getting a prefab one that comes in on a trailer. They start around $35,000 plus delivery, plumbing and foundation. Looking for suggestions if you have them.

Here is one of the buildings on the property. It's basically a double wide, but the previous owners built a glassed in "screen room". Didn't think much of it when we first saw the property, but it's been the best part of the purchase and a really affordable way to add to an existing structure. It has a big dining table, couches, chairs, storage, washer/dryer, etc all jammed in there. 270 degree views help when glassing for animals too!

Name:	9cbc8.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	337660
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

<snip>It'll come back, it always does.
    Until the whole area is under water.

Maybe we should just park a boat on it and wait?

Maybe we should just park a boat on it and wait?
    You are wise beyond your years...

We had a cabin growing up and I loved it. My favourite childhood memories by far. It was two days’ drive away at first and after we moved one day’s drive so we only got out 2 - 3 times per year but for longer chunks of time. I never felt that I wanted to be anywhere else. We made lifelong friends there but we still really looked forward to going out in the winter when no one was around. I wouldn’t be much of a skier had we not got the place. My dad is no handyman (apple does not fall far from the tree!) so spent very little time fixing things up and somehow made that work. My folks moved out there full time when they retired and did a big reno project, taking it all down to the studs.

Fast forward to today. I live a short drive away and go often for visits but don’t love it the way I used to. It’s more crowded now. All the previously vacant wooded lots have been developed and some serious money has come into the neighbourhood. Everyone’s ripping around in their boats, which is great for them just not my cup of tea. Financial constraints aside, I don’t think I’d buy the place if my parents sold but my sister would in a heartbeat.

I feel super lucky that my parents got that place way back when. It was affordable at the time and wasn’t this unending maintenance project that sucks the fun out of owning a cabin. I wouldn’t mind owning a second property now but I like where I live already. Plus my wife really prefers to change things up from year to year and I’m down with that

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    Just went in with 2 other families on a little compound in the middle of nowhere. Off the grid; solar, propane and a well. 2 of the structures are from the late 1800's, and two more modern buildings. We're in the market for an additional cabin to put on the property, so I'll be watching this thread! We're thinking of getting a prefab one that comes in on a trailer. They start around $35,000 plus delivery, plumbing and foundation. Looking for suggestions if you have them.

glassing for animals too!

Name:	9cbc8.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	337660
    We have a prefabbed “trailer cabin”. It’s awesome. PM me if you want the details on it.

Name:	IMG_0836.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	337662

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Ice, check out fdomes.com. Nicer than a yurt but still probably classified as a temp structure and may not need a building permit. I have a buddy looking into putting one or two on some land he owns and renting them out on VRBO.

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    Ice, check out fdomes.com. Nicer than a yurt but still probably classified as a temp structure and may not need a building permit. I have a buddy looking into putting one or two on some land he owns and renting them out on VRBO.
    They look pretty cool, I'll look into them more, thanks.

I'm about to sign the papers for "cabin" at the lake. It's a 3 hour drive from home, 45 minute drive to Red Mountain so I can use it in the winter for great skiing. Downfall of a cabin at the lake is that now I kinda have to go there for vacations, and I have to maintain it. It needs a little bit of land scraping work following a flood a couple years ago. The upside is I can ride my bike off the roof into the lake.

Name:	cabin at the lake.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	527.1 KB 
ID:	337691
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Looks like quite a pad. Congrats.