Thread: streamer rod

streamer rod

thinking about adding a 7 weight to the quiver. I have a 6, but I like to throw pretty big stuff, especially for smallmouth. I have an old 8 too, but I catch a lot of 10 inch smallies...ok, fine, just trying to justify another rod. Recently found an old Scientific Anglers 7/8 reel in my late father's garage, so all I need to pay for is a mid-level rod and a line for that old reel.

Happy to do used and not looking anything super high end because this won't get a ton of use. St. Croix Bank Robber is just a little over $200. Reviews on that or other ideas?

People turn their noses up at St Croix rods, but I think they’re a great value. Not the most sensitive but emphatically usable (ie not notably shit or irritatingly fail prone, just perform as expected). St Croix makes a ton of rods and knows what they’re doing. They are US made & also have a good warranty program (i have taken advantage of it on a 8wt Imperial that I stupidly broke by over flexing it to break off a snag in a deep current).

Alternately, just find a used rod of better provenance on craigslist...it seems like there are tons available in the pnw so maybe your zone is similar

I love my 7 weight Bank Robber but I would absolutely not buy one. I tend to break my streamer rod fairly often. Since they quit making it you cant get it repaired or replaced. Warranty is crucial in the fly rod game as far as I am concerned.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

They’ve recently taken a price increase on the model but I’ve been a fan of the Orvis Recon line and they’re warranty program is pretty decent, I just sent in a broken tip and I think I paid $40 to replace the section.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Been trading up through St Croix Warranty program to Legend Elite 5 and 6 wt. and I'm far from good enough fly flinging to tell the difference between those and a Sage or Winston. Recently sent both back for repairs they have tips for the 6WT but #2 section needed repair on the 5 wt sorry we cant do that and we don't make our high end rods any more (Legend, Bank Robber) so give St Croix 50 bucks and have 2 Imperials which are decent, but not a Legend Elite fast action by a long shot. Long story short I'm with Telee and not buying any more StCroix which is a bummer cause USA jerbs, good warranty, been fishing them for 10 years, yada yada.

I am very happy with my TFO Mangrove 7wt as a streamer rod and it pulls double duty as a carp/saltwater rod (duh).

https://tforods.com/mangrove-fly-rods/

279 through tfo, 259 on Amazon and you can find them cheaper occasionally.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

As mentioned about the St Croix warranty, this can be important. If you buy used, look at the repair cost of rods directly from the manufacturer. I don't think all will do it when out of warranty (bought used), but for example, Scott charges $20 for guide rewraps/furrule refit, $100 to replace a tip or mid section, and 175 to replace a butt section.

Personally, I think those prices are pretty reasonable.

As for the justification...I love my 7wt X2S for streamer fishing. It throws big fat flies super easy with less false cast then a 6wt would, which means more time in the water and more fish. Also, it throws a full sink line really nice. A 6wt is a bit tougher to pull that off.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I have a TFO BVK 9’8wt that is my big flesh fly chucker. Way better rod than I expected. I cast a bunch of rods at a buddies shop and was set on a Sage One when he grabbed this rod out of his truck and said, “ don’t look at, just cast it”. Well needless to say I bought one right then and there. It’s my light salt/striper travel rod as well.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...od-comparison/
    I have also fished the 7wt and it’s an awesome rod for big streamers and throwing mice into the wind.

I have a 6 and an 8, so no 7, but I was going to recommend the TFO rods as well. I have a 3 and 9 TFO, and love them, (esp. for the money). My 3 is a TFO Pro II, and again, is great for the money. I bet that 7 X 9' is hard to beat for $170.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I bought a 9' 7 weight Orvis Clearwater for a bargain rod that casts very well IMHO. Handles big atriculated streamers with a weighted sink tip line very well for trout on breezy Montana rivers.

Sounds like you have a bunch of great options from all the above responses!

It is certainly time to think about dustin off the old meat stick🥩

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post

It is certainly time to think about dustin off the old meat stick🥩
    Woah buddy this isn't that kinda thread....

wait...

what?

Carry on.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I have a TFO BVK 9’8wt that is my big flesh fly chucker. Way better rod than I expected. I cast a bunch of rods at a buddies shop and was set on a Sage One when he grabbed this rod out of his truck and said, “ don’t look at, just cast it”. Well needless to say I bought one right then and there. It’s my light salt/striper travel rod as well.
    ^This was my exact reaction to the 9wt Echo Ion.. sub $200 rod

I will say, and maybe it's just me, but it does feel like it's lost a bit of oomph over the last 6 years. But that might have more to do with lining up and tossing big ass flies and my shitty double haul. I dunno, I'm kind of thinking these cheaper rods can cast great out of the box but lose energy more quickly than something like a Sage..

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

I will say, and maybe it's just me, but it does feel like it's lost a bit of oomph over the last 6 years. But that might have more to do with lining up and tossing big ass flies and my shitty double haul. I dunno, I'm kind of thinking these cheaper rods can cast great out of the box but lose energy more quickly than something like a Sage..
    I have and Echo Ion in a 10wt and the BVK in an 8wt. Both kick ass for the price. Really hard to go wrong with either but the BVK may be the best bang for the buck.

As far as warranties go, my favorite is still Loomis. Not cheap, but for $100 they will have a new rod (latest model if you have an old one) in your hands in 2-3 days and including return shipping of your broken rod. I've used it twice over the years and I'm sold. When I broke my Z-Axis last year, Sage had me waiting 3+ months to get the rod back on the water ($75 plus shipping).

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

Huh, never occurred to me that rods wear out. I mean I guess there’s a higher carbon to glue ratio in the pricier rods, but I just don’t think they get repetitive stress enough to degrade performance. Bamboo, sure.

my favorite cheap rod. I have it in an 8 and a 4 and really like both.

https://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/vice

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    my favorite cheap rod. I have it in an 8 and a 4 and really like both.

https://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/vice
    I went even cheaper and went with the Crosswater for an 8wt (it's serviceable, but would probably would go Vise next time). I also have their Classic Trout in a 3 and 5. I'm a fan.

I should probably buy a decent rod some time... I don't even know what kind I'm fishing with.

I'm chucking an old echo edge 9ft 7wt with rio outbound short and it feels like cheating. Guess the knock on some of the echo rods is that are heavy. Not sure about the newer ones
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

streamer rod

My next rod is going to be an Edge by Gary Loomis.
    Period.

I went with the Echo Ion 9 foot 7 weight. $159 for the rod, $80 for a line, and an inherited reel. Pretty damned cheap setup. Fished 4 days on the lower Buffalo in Arkansas over the past weekend, and it worked fine when tossing a quarter ounce or so crawfish jig and an indicator big enough to float it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I went with the Echo Ion 9 foot 7 weight. $159 for the rod, $80 for a line, and an inherited reel. Pretty damned cheap setup. Fished 4 days on the lower Buffalo in Arkansas over the past weekend, and it worked fine when tossing a quarter ounce or so crawfish jig and an indicator big enough to float it.
    Sweet. I have an Echo Ion 10’ 6wt that I surprisingly enjoy. Works great for a bobber rig and chucking clousers out of the boat for lake smallies when tossing a ton of line.