Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Head RS boots

Head RS boots

Anyone know what Head changed in their ski boots? They posted on Instagram that this years 140RS is “all new” and I’m wondering if I need to stock up on the last gen boots or if these will do.

I switched from Lange to Head last year because Lange dropped the RS140 from their lineup and killed my last pair of RS140s. The 130 isn’t the same, it has a foam liner that I’m not a fan of compared to the 140s cork liner, I really liked the cork liner version.

Am I going to be on the hunt for a new boot again or is the new Head boot good? Or should I grab an extra pair or two of the current Head 140RS.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

wasnt the only difference between the (Lange) RS130 and RS140 the liner anyway? Get an aftermarket cork liner?

sorry can offer no help on the Head RS. I have an older pair in the basement but never got around to fitting them cause I love my Lange ZB's too much.

If you really love the older model, they'll never be cheaper than now.

End of build after a fukked season.
    Prolly a few pair in town, I'd get to haggling.

I know all of the JHMR owned stores are trying to push old gear out the door.

It is the same boot- just new graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    If you really love the older model, they'll never be cheaper than now.

End of build after a fukked season.
    Prolly a few pair in town, I'd get to haggling.

I know all of the JHMR owned stores are trying to push old gear out the door.
    That’s my plan, but I’m a fairly common boot size, so I’ll see what JHMR has. I’ve only got 70ish days in my current boots, so they should make it through most of this season, but you never know and comfy boots that ski well are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    wasnt the only difference between the (Lange) RS130 and RS140 the liner anyway? Get an aftermarket cork liner?

sorry can offer no help on the Head RS. I have an older pair in the basement but never got around to fitting them cause I love my Lange ZB's too much.
    I believe that was the difference. I guess that’s an option? I have really narrow feet, almost needed no grinding to get into ZBs, and the RS130/140s were too wide. The Raptor 140rs is right between the two and perfect, so I’d like to stay in it as long as possible.

Have you ever skied a Nordica cork race liner?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Have you ever skied a Nordica cork race liner?
    Nope, maybe I should check them out when the Heads die.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Nope, maybe I should check them out when the Heads die.

It’s way better than the cork lange liner.

It’s the best/most thoughtful and well made stock liner out of all of the race boots.

But also get zipfits. Change your life

I believe that was the difference. I guess that’s an option? I have really narrow feet, almost needed no grinding to get into ZBs, and the RS130/140s were too wide. The Raptor 140rs is right between the two and perfect, so I’d like to stay in it as long as possible.
    Have you tried Tecnica Firebird 140s? They felt lower volume than 96mm Raptors or 97mm RS. On the flip side, they are much more comfortable than slightly ground ZBs.

They may be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    It’s way better than the cork lange liner.

It’s the best/most thoughtful and well made stock liner out of all of the race boots.

ZipFits are probably on tap for this year. The Raptor 140rs liner started to pack out by March last year and wouldn’t of survived the season if COVID hadn’t shut everything down.

I’ll add the Technical 140 to my list to consider.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Preach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had my B3’s with zippies for 10yrs... I too needed a new pair.... just bought a 19/20 RS140 compared the two.. Identical minus a bit more room in forefoot (RS140 vs. RD130) room temp flex feels slightly softer in the RS140’s but only have one rivet in them. They just fit and flex so progressively everyone else is just a bucket. If you need a liner, I have the stock 140s never skied... It’s a pretty nice liner. I’d by last year stock without hesitation... (also best strap on the market - used to use a booster, now rethinking for the new ones.)
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hossman View Post
    I’ve had my B3’s with zippies for 10yrs... I too needed a new pair.... just bought a 19/20 RS140 compared the two.. Identical minus a bit more room in forefoot (RS140 vs. RD130) room temp flex feels slightly softer in the RS140’s but only have one rivet in them. They just fit and flex so progressively everyone else is just a bucket. If you need a liner, I have the stock 140s never skied... It’s a pretty nice liner. I’d by last year stock without hesitation... (also best strap on the market - used to use a booster, now rethinking for the new ones.)
    Good Luck!
    Let’s make a deal!

Anyone know what Head changed in their ski boots? They posted on Instagram that this years 140RS is “all new” and I’m wondering if I need to stock up on the last gen boots or if these will do.

I switched from Lange to Head last year because Lange dropped the RS140 from their lineup and killed my last pair of RS140s. The 130 isn’t the same, it has a foam liner that I’m not a fan of compared to the 140s cork liner, I really liked the cork liner version.

Am I going to be on the hunt for a new boot again or is the new Head boot good? Or should I grab an extra pair or two of the current Head 140RS.

The new Raptor WCR 140 is a worthy replacement for Raptor RS 140. The fit is nearly the same and the geometry numbers of the boots are identical. The sole length of the WCR is 1mm longer.

A couple big differences: The new plastic actually does seem to have better damping and rebound characteristics, making it easier to stay centered in the boot and recover more easily - just like Head advertises. Second, the Extended Toe Box is a trip and took a little getting used to. It’s a noticeable difference but does allow for more toe articulation while skiing which feels pretty cool.

I loved the RS and had many pairs through the years. I was skeptical of the RS being replaced, but after about 10 days in the WCR I think it is an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    The new Raptor WCR 140 is a worthy replacement for Raptor RS 140. The fit is nearly the same and the geometry numbers of the boots are identical. The sole length of the WCR is 1mm longer.

A couple big differences: The new plastic actually does seem to have better damping and rebound characteristics, making it easier to stay centered in the boot and recover more easily - just like Head advertises. Second, the Extended Toe Box is a trip and took a little getting used to. It’s a noticeable difference but does allow for more toe articulation while skiing which feels pretty cool.

I loved the RS and had many pairs through the years. I was skeptical of the RS being replaced, but after about 10 days in the WCR I think it is an upgrade.
    can elaborate on the extended toe box? is it extended laterally or lengthwise?

Quote Originally Posted by sweatypowderpig View Post
    can elaborate on the extended toe box? is it extended laterally or lengthwise?
    It is a little bit in length, but most notably in toe box height. Likely yields a warmer boot too as a result, but I never thought the RS was especially cold.

I also thought the RS had good toe box space and wouldn’t have requested more in the re-design.

Other than the toe box it feels much the same but with a better plastic.

What’s the new bsl? 26.5 = 304mm?

What’s the new bsl? 26.5 = 304mm?
    Yes

Read some mixed reviews on the new Liquidfit system, seems similar to what Atomic is trying to do with the Professional liner series. Have a NOS pair of Raptor B3s that I’m tempted to carve up for my feet.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    It is a little bit in length, but most notably in toe box height. Likely yields a warmer boot too as a result, but I never thought the RS was especially cold.

I also thought the RS had good toe box space and wouldn’t have requested more in the re-design.

Other than the toe box it feels much the same but with a better plastic.
    WCR front buckle is also moved back a ways from previous B/RS locations, which helps make that toe box feel roomier up/down as well.

As someone who has the boot currently with the stock liner, liquid fit seems decidedly less functional than the pitch for Atomic’s professional liner foam makes it sound. I have only used the liquid fit system, so I can’t tell you whether it’s better than the reality of the Atomic system or not.

My biggest complaint about the stock liner is it seems to pack out kind of absurdly quickly (noticeable fit changes in <20 days of regular use) and the liquid fit feels like it’s there to extend the life of the liner due to the quick packing inducing heel lift. So far OMFit + zips seems like a much better system to me, not sure how much longer I want to play around with the stock liner.

Head RS boots

I second everything BumbideasOnly said. The stock liner was great, but it didn’t last 60 days. I switched to a ZipFit Corsa and have been super happy.

Edited cause I listed the wrong liner

Last edited by skibrd; 01-28-2022 at 12:38 PM.

I send everything BumbideasOnly said. The stock liner was great, but it didn’t last 60 days. I switched to a ZipFit Gara and have been super happy.

Same here. Stock RS140 liner was good, briefly, but it didn't last long. ZipFit Gara LV is working great (though I need to make a little more room in the toe box for warmth reasons).

Just wanted to check in with those who are skiing the new WCR. How are they feeling? How are the liners holding up? How do they compare fit wise to other boots you have used?

I tried on the WCR3 (140 flex) next to a few other 93mm last boots (Fischer 130s, Atomic STI 130). The WRCs felt noticeably more ergonomic, a sense of them feeling 'wider' while still being marketed at 93mm last. Not sure if this is good and they fit, or bad and they will be too sloppy. Also, the room temp "140" flex felt super soft. You can feel the progression for sure, but moving 5* forward from neutral is very very soft.

Flexing them next to my 130 Atomic Club Sports, they also felt more ergonomic fitting, potentially with a lower instep height. The forward lean felt greater, even though the Atomics at stated at 17* and the Heads at 16*. The quality of the atomic liners feels better, more leather and more rigid overall.

On the length/toe box. WOW. This is the most room I've ever felt in a 26.5 shell. I might go try on a 25 tomorrow.

These are the first new sets of boots that I have tried on since my 2015 fischer plug boots so I have lots to noodle on before choosing a shell for the 22/23 season.