Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Which new beacon in 2020?

Looking to pickup a new beacon this year as my SO joins me in the backcountry. Currently have a T3 I've been happy with for past 3 seasons. She will either take over the T3 as I upgrade, or take on the new beacon.

Use case: ~30 days of backcountry use per season. Around 30 days of volunteer patrolling (not paid, so not running routes) with it on. And whatever other days get thrown in there.

I'm leaning towards keeping it simple: either Tracker S or Black Diamond/PIEPs Recon are currently at top of list. Remember hearing some issues with the BDs but can't recall if they were fixed or user error.

Or convince me that the Barryvox is worth $150-$170 extra. (Sadly no deals on Mammut through patrol.)

Geez! They don't give patrol deals? Wow.

[edit]If I wanted something from Mammut, I'd contact the NA Distributor & talk to them about it. It's such great PR for them to have patrol using their gear. Obviously an airbag pack is more visible than a beacon, but still ...

PM or text me ...

I have an e-mail from a direct contact last year. I don't have any "ins" with them, but sometimes a name with a real e-mail address & phone number could get ya started.

[/edit]

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-15-2020 at 08:18 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Thanks Thom -- may give that a go.

I was a Tracker guy for 15 years. I have had the T3 and the new Mammut. IMO the T3 is behind the curve and the Mammut is easier to use, faster for most and the more desirable unit. Testing with wife/friends/newbies etc has confirmed this to me. All that said the biggest difference is in multiple burials...both are good in singles. Multiples can and do happen and time is even more critical in that situation.

Mammut coming through this AM.

Supposedly they'll be up on Expert Voice soon for patrollers. If others in a similar spot PM me and I'll pass on what Thom shared with me which worked well.

@wstdeep -- basically exactly what I've heard re:Barryvox -- hence my interest. T3 not a bad beacon, and I am very familiar with it which is good. But since I have to get one new one, may as well go all in.

Awesome !!!

I seem to be owning more and more Mammut stuff.

My last two climbing ropes were from them. Their ski pants fit my short legs, and then there's their packs - first, a "standard" ski pack, and then my splurge on one of their airbag packs last Winter.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-17-2020 at 03:33 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Mammut coming through this AM.

Supposedly they'll be up on Expert Voice soon for patrollers. If others in a similar spot PM me and I'll pass on what Thom shared with me which worked well.
    Another vote for the Barryvox S, I got in on a local pro patrol buy last year and Mammut's price was excellent.

If I didn't have a new Ortovox I would buy the Mammut.

With fall soon to be in the air I may sell the +3 and make the switch.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I have a Barryvox (not the S), and find it to be very easy to use, with great range, a fast processor and clear audio and visual search cues. I would recommend it.

I picked up Barryvox S last year but haven't played with it too much, Covid cancelled the field sessions of the avi classes, and most of our pow days didn't arrive until after the mountain closed.

The S build quality isn't as high as Ortovox, but I like it just fine so far. It beeps. Looks like a bit of clever marketing when bragging about the range of the S.

Around 30 days of volunteer patrolling (not paid, so not running routes) with it on. And whatever other days get thrown in there.
    If you're an NSP 'troller, you can definitely get a deal. I'll PM you tomorrow.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 08-21-2020 at 11:08 PM.

I know this is off topic because it's not current model year but I have a Barryvox Pulse and I love the shit out of it. Super easy to use, great feature set, fantastic range. I really like it a lot - I've used beacons from a handful of other manufacturers, and this is easily my favorite. I don't have a patroller pro deal, so I probably won't be replacing my beacon this year, but when I do, it'll be a mammut beacon.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Ortovox getting lots of good mentions too -- haven't played with them as I live in the Front Range where Trackers are everywhere.

Mammut rep hooked up the deal -- just waiting for stock to appear. Really friendly and helpful staff.

Barryvox regular version is the way to go unless you are a electronics geek - I am an electronic engineer by training and a bit of a tech geek and I struggle to justify my S over the wifes regular on. The regular on is the FASTEST beacon I've played with so far. Everything else is slower than I can run.
    Knowledge is Powder

+1 for the Barryvox. Didn’t see the need for the S, when shit goes wrong you want simple, fast, efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    Barryvox regular version is the way to go unless you are a electronics geek - I am an electronic engineer by training and a bit of a tech geek and I struggle to justify my S over the wifes regular on. The regular on is the FASTEST beacon I've played with so far. Everything else is slower than I can run.
    But...the S costs more. It has to be better.

I don’t care, I’m not compromising with my life on the line.

Ortovox getting lots of good mentions too -- haven't played with them as I live in the Front Range where Trackers are everywhere.

Mammut rep hooked up the deal -- just waiting for stock to appear. Really friendly and helpful staff.
    You might also take a look at the new BD or Pieps beacons. I have quite a few beacons (Ortovox S1+ and S1, Barryvox S, Pulse, Element, T3, Recon, Guide, etc...) The BD and Pieps have some nice features including updates through Bluetooth and they are very fast processing. The dual burial is very fast. I was never a BD or Pieps fan and picked up a couple and I am very impressed. So much so that updated our fleet of beacons from the Pulse and Element to the BD Recon and Guides. I still go back and forth between the BD Guide and the Barryvox S for my personal beacon.

yeah I use a Pieps DSP Pro as my personal beacon and my work just purchased a fleet of them at the end of last season

I like it.

I wouldn't steer anyone away from any of the modern 3 antenna beacons. They are all solid enough and get the job done.

That said I personally use the Mammut Barryvox S after owning or trying nearly every current beacon. I really like the graphical/audio interface and it has great range. I don't use most of the advanced features included in the S but prefer the graphics and larger screen compared to the standard Barryvox.

I think trackers are garbage and don't trust trackers. Until this season they hadn't updated their software since the release of the tracker 3 since 2014. Their weak antenna has a short range which makes misses more likely.

I was able to attend an in-depth clinic on beacon technology last year which was done by pieps and it was clear that Pieps, Barryvox, and Arva beacons were the easiest to use and resulted the fewest misses. We spent about 5 hours in the field doing different rescue scenarios with every beacon that was available on the market in fall 2019. it was really cool to compare all the beacons side by side.

I think these charts also really displayed the issue with a limited weak antenna range

Name:  IMG_20191016_100849.jpg
Views: 5449
Size:  146.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20191016_100850.jpg
Views: 5453
Size:  147.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20191016_100949.jpg
Views: 5435
Size:  178.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20191016_100952.jpg
Views: 2828
Size:  140.3 KB

If you think about how you search a slide path (back and forth, a little furher down with each pass), you realize why a circular range is advantagous. It allows for faster searching because you can spread out a little more (more distance between passes) and results in less misses. with an oblong range, you can't go as far down the slope between passes or you are more likely to get misses. Hence why the tracker with its limited range in its weak antenna is less than ideal.

Thanks for that summary and confirmation of my suspicions.

At this point, really seems like this needs to become better known. When user imperfections (holding a beacon at a particular angle) can result in such drastic results differences it's a very bad thing.

I've never heard a convincing reason for buying a Tracker or Ortovox over a Pieps or Barryvox. They all work, but Pieps and Barryvox are just better. Have been for years.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Another +1 for the Barryvox. Easy to use and big search radius...

Pinning it using TGR Forums mobile app
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I've never heard a convincing reason for buying a Tracker or Ortovox over a Pieps or Barryvox. They all work, but Pieps and Barryvox are just better. Have been for years.
    those charts above are a convincing reason to me.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yup, the short list stops after Pieps and Barryvox.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Barryvox en route. On expertVoice now for anyone who is looking.