Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    brutah, any chance PIEPS put the rest of that presentation online?

Quote Originally Posted by TheHink View Post
    brutah, any chance PIEPS put the rest of that presentation online?
    I wish, or if its online, I'm not sure where to find it. It was really eye-opening and the amount of research that PIEPS put into their beacon technology really put them ahead of others for me. I also like how easy it is to update your beacon via BT and the practice scenarios you can set up on your phone.

Thick cut preferably, applewood smoked if possible... mmmm b[e]acon

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I too would be interested in seeing the complete presentation, but ... this is kind of like when rival supermarkets claim the lowest prices, and each supermarket's analysis does indeed show the lowest prices.
    The punchline of course (to the extent that economics jokes are ever even remotely funny) is that the two rival supermarkets are not pricing out the same bundle of goods.
    Ditto for these in-house beacon assessments: each company puts together tests that play to the strengths of its models.

That said, Steve's ongoing testing:
    https://beaconreviews.com/about.php
    ... puts even my prior obsessions to shame, and we both agree on the Pieps models.
    We also both agree that the extra features of the Barryvox models are great for user who like, well, extra features!

ARVA models can be a bit different, in both good and bad ways. Evo5 is particularly nice if you're into a pocket carry. Although the Pieps Micro might have regained the lead with the new Button version -- neither of us has used that yet. (Very limited availability this past season.)

Hard to think of why to recommend an Ortovox model over the competition these days?

BCA is great for owners posting on-line about ease-of-use, a legacy from when the competition was analog, with no relevance today. Otherwise, T2 is really dated, and T3 tries to push a lot of functionality through a very minimalist user interface (though some users do like that). TS is a bit puzzling as the econo version of the T3 when the price delta is so small?
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Your modesty is unjustified, Jonathan. We're truly grateful for your contributions.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

absolutely

Jonathon has been quietly killing it in the avalanche world for quite a while
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 09-06-2020 at 05:35 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Clearly Ortovox has some advertising/marketing clout. On the last hut trip I was on, every single guest had an Ortovox beacon except for me and one guy with a Tracker 2. I was under the impression that Ortovox has had a reputation as a mediocre brand for quite awhile now, but maybe not.

Thanks Jonathan—appreciate you weighing in.

I went with Barryvox base model. Should arrive Wednesday when we’re forecasted to have snow on the ground. Just in time for some fun searches in the park.

I could see some of the pro versions features being quite useful if I was a daily using pro. But I’m not.

especialy for you old fucks, make sure you can read the display,

my buddy bought the flip open model a few years back, he was wearing his glasses so it was ok in the shop but we get out in Rogers pass and he couldn't read the display wearing his contacts to ski ... gave the beacon to his kid
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

my buddy bought the flip open model a few years back, he was wearing his glasses so it was ok in the shop but we get out in Rogers pass and he couldn't read the display wearing his contacts to ski ... gave the beacon to his kid
    Heh. Right on.

I’ve had the Barryvox featureless model for a while now, over a year I think, and I think it’s great. I’ve got a Pieps Sport for practice/loaner and it’s solid too.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

This has been something I've wondered about as well, and I haven't seen anything written about it.

I'm thinking bitmapped screen (Barryvox S) visibility in bright sunlight - how bright a cell phone screen needs to be in these lighting conditions.

Are there any issues with the "S" in this regard? The only reference point I have is a 13 year old Pieps DSP, which is fine.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    This has been something I've wondered about as well, and I haven't seen anything written about it.

I'm thinking bitmapped screen (Barryvox S) visibility in bright sunlight - how bright a cell phone screen needs to be in these lighting conditions.

Are there any issues with the "S" in this regard? The only reference point I have is a 13 year old Pieps DSP, which is fine.

... Thom
    I just took my Barryvox S out into the yard in sunlight that is about as bright as we get in the glademaster area. I didn’t have any trouble seeing what the screen was showing.

It works very much better than the Ortovox 3+ I got in 2011.

I tried the Arva with the flip-out antenna at the Alpental beacon park, and I didn’t think it worked any better than the 3+.
    U.P.: up

Fresh batteries day always gets me stoked.

I think I bought this T3 from a mag a few years back. Met in dispensary parking lot across from my house, he was driving a rad previa with his GF in route to a show. Pretty sure the cash went straight to fun drugs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	118991436_382064396148550_4466392514552721616_n.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	641.1 KB 
ID:	339482

Initial impressions:
    - dead simple to use.
    - More intuitive than a tracker3.
    - 5 year warranty is dope.
    - Group Check feature seems like a feature I and most recreational users will actually use on a regular basis.
    - Whoever spec'd the plastic on the front I'd like words with. It's literally soft enough to be scratched by a poorly trimmed finger nail.
    - I think a pretty hard plastic harness feels less nice than than nylon / soft harness of trackers I've used. Probably no difference in actual comfort though.
    - Including batteries is always nice. As is not needing a little screw driver to open up the compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    ... Whoever spec'd the plastic on the front I'd like words with. It's literally soft enough to be scratched by a poorly trimmed finger nail.
    The plastic casing?

I assume the screen is gorilla glass or its equivalent?

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    The plastic casing?

I assume the screen is gorilla glass or its equivalent?

... Thom
    Not on my Barryvox. The front is def some sort of plastic. Literally scratched it with my fingernail. Odd design choice. Not sure it outweighs the positive.

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm a hella idiot. I pulled off the film for the warranty card. And there was another layer of film behind that that was so perfectly installed I didn't realize. Fuck insomina and trying to treat it with midday edibles.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 09-09-2020 at 09:13 PM.

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm a hella idiot. I pulled off the film for the warranty card. And there was another layer of film behind that that was so perfectly installed I didn't realize. Fuck insomina and trying to treat it with midday edibles.
    ahahahahahahaha

Not on my Barryvox. The front is def some sort of plastic. Literally scratched it with my fingernail. Odd design choice. Not sure it outweighs the positive.

Those strategically placed film layers 'll get 'cha every time. I wish I had edibles as an excuse, but that seems to be my normal state ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Heh. Right on.

I’ve had the Barryvox featureless model for a while now, over a year I think, and I think it’s great. I’ve got a Pieps Sport for practice/loaner and it’s solid too.
    A lot of the folks you will meet on a hut trip are getting pretty old and who else has the money and time and maturity

same guy who couldn't read the display on I think it was the S1 asks me to read the hash marks on his adjustable ski poles, so I shot BD an e-mail to point out their focus group of customers are getting so old they can't read the writing on their products and they should design accordingly with big printing

I duno if they paid attention but now they know
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGKiX6FnesY/

Something to consider if you're buying a beacon in 2020. Pass over any DPS models. I've seen this failure in the field but we chalked it up to user error. It seems it's an all too common and potentially deadly error.

A pragmatic study done in Canada many years ago is still accurate today - the best avy beacon is the one you have practiced, practiced and practiced with.

Quote Originally Posted by Recreationpro View Post
    A pragmatic study done in Canada many years ago is still accurate today - the best avy beacon is the one you have practiced, practiced and practiced with.
    Practice means jack shit when your beacon goes from Send to Off when you're buried.

Maybe you weren't responding to my above post -- but given how threads worth it's worth pointing out that all beacons aren't necessarily equally "good".

hm

I had a broken switch on old style but have not seen this.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I've seen pics of broken switches on the newer BD versions. Hadn't heard about switch issues on previous models. Going to fiddle with mine soon...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGKiX6FnesY/

Something to consider if you're buying a beacon in 2020. Pass over any DPS models. I've seen this failure in the field but we chalked it up to user error. It seems it's an all too common and potentially deadly error.
    That is some straight-up scary shit right there.
    swing your fucking sword.

Just futzed around with mine. I think it's extremely unlikely it could switch off accidentally. I'd like to know more though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201012_200915022.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	343285

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app