Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 167
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,560
    hey thatís my picture!

    anyone had problems with the newer model?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    4,378
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    hey that’s my picture!

    anyone had problems with the newer model?
    I think most the issues are with the DSP series. They changed the naming in the last couple years when they updated the locking mechanism (which is now two slides versus a push and a slide)

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,932
    Almost positive I've seen a pic of the new double slider broken. That doesn't mean it isn't rare.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,560
    I havenít seen it. Obviously Iíve seen the previous version. There was no way in Hell I was ever going to use the one before that. I took one look at it and knew it was no good, so I used my personal beacon at work for two years.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wydaho
    Posts
    115
    The Hanging Lake avalanche in 2017 that killed Corey Lynam was due to his Pieps beacon switching to search per his widow who reached out to Pieps who said they were going to do an internal investigation and didnít get back to her (she posted on the Instagram post). Hereís the accident report:
    https://www.avalanche.ca/incidents/3...d-bc130c9220d9

    They said the beacon was in his pocket, but regardless, I know my Pieps DSP Pro slides very easily in to search from send and can see how this could happen. I can say that itís not a risk Iím willing to take and I am not happy about having to replace $800 of beacons that are in great shape and 3 years old.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    2,871
    Quote Originally Posted by lpkdz View Post
    The Hanging Lake avalanche in 2017 that killed Corey Lynam was due to his Pieps beacon switching to search per his widow who reached out to Pieps who said they were going to do an internal investigation and didn’t get back to her (she posted on the Instagram post). Here’s the accident report:
    https://www.avalanche.ca/incidents/3...d-bc130c9220d9

    They said the beacon was in his pocket, but regardless, I know my Pieps DSP Pro slides very easily in to search from send and can see how this could happen. I can say that it’s not a risk I’m willing to take and I am not happy about having to replace $800 of beacons that are in great shape and 3 years old.
    An awful incident and I wish peace to his family and friends.
    In the report I read that the slide ran him through timber, and even the avy pack was damaged. Coupled with a maritime snowpack. No report I am aware of that details what kind of trauma the subject may have sustained from those conditions beyond asphyxiation. I would hope that avy equipment available would survive such events, but the reality is that if the event occurs, all the mitigations we employ become a bit of a hail mary.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wydaho
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    An awful incident and I wish peace to his family and friends.
    In the report I read that the slide ran him through timber, and even the avy pack was damaged. Coupled with a maritime snowpack. No report I am aware of that details what kind of trauma the subject may have sustained from those conditions beyond asphyxiation. I would hope that avy equipment available would survive such events, but the reality is that if the event occurs, all the mitigations we employ become a bit of a hail mary.
    I donít know about you, but I would prefer to have the option to be found quickly in the event that I wasnít dead from trauma. Of course death by trauma is a possibility, but I know few people that would feel okay about their beacon switching to off or search and deny them any chance at survival. It would be one thing if the beacon was smashed to bits or something, but it was switched to search... something that I think most anyone with this beacon could see could easily happen even without being carried down a hillside at high speed.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,560
    for what itís worth, the DSP Sport is showing as OUT OF STOCK on the BD website
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    2,871
    Quote Originally Posted by lpkdz View Post
    I don’t know about you, but I would prefer to have the option to be found quickly in the event that I wasn’t dead from trauma.
    Absofuckinglutely.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,754
    Huh, I thought all transceivers with this housing had been discontinued, but the DSP Sport does still show on their website. I can't find the actual 19/20 dealer catalog.

    Anyway, I've never liked the switch on this generation of DSP for a very simple reason. When you are in Send mode, there is NO visual indication on which way you need to slide the switch to go into Search. Obviously this is overcome by practice, but it's a design oversight that could easily have been corrected.

    As I mentioned before, I had a DSP Pro with this housing switch itself from Send to Search in my pants pocket. I don't recommend carrying one of these in a pocket - harness only. I just checked this same beacon (my wife carries it now) and the switch locks very solidly.

    I still think that if your switch isn't broken, and you carry it correctly in the harness (screen facing your body) the likelihood of it changing modes inadvertently is very low. I'd still rather carry one of these (or have my partner carry one) than a Tracker 1 or Tracker 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,963
    Pocket carry vs. harness carry would be a statistic I'd like to see as well.

    Also, how many of these beacons look like @schindlerpiste's - as if they were dragged behind a car?

    Me? I baby gear that could save my life

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,682
    I don't think I've thought about which way my beacon sits in a harness, that's a good point.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,560
    also pay attention to whatís around it like cell phones, gps and other satellite units, radios, etc

    I rigged up a Pieps harness on my radio harness to keep them away from each other, and the phone goes in a pants or jacket pocket, not beacon

    I was using some BD pants with a beacon pocket for a bit, but the buckle was wearing into the pants so I cut the thing out
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    2,871
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I rigged up a Pieps harness on my radio harness to keep them away from each other, and the phone goes in a pants or jacket pocket, not beacon
    If you have a pic to share of this I would appreciate it. Same issue here with the radio harness and the beacon harness in conflict, so my beacon has been in the pant's pocket for a few years now.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,560

    Which new beacon in 2020?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1602729702.488679.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	343505

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1602729714.435081.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	343506

    right now itís clipped together there but I plan to have it sewn - the way I have it set up I can take it off the radio harness, but you could sew (bar tack) it to the strap permanently - this is all under my shell jacket when running AC routes etc
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    2,871
    Thanks!
    Looks like my biggest problem is that the harnesses I have do not have a solid lower belt - they're all the elastic kind that wouldn't support the beacon pouch. Been looking at various radio harnesses for an upgrade, and this helps. That looks like a unbranded conterra harness?

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,560
    itís a Tool Chest - I took the label off

    second one in 15 years - the old one was pretty battered and faded - gave it to a new kid
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,754
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I don't think I've thought about which way my beacon sits in a harness, that's a good point.
    Really? All beacons should always go with the screen facing your body. I thought this was widely taught in avalanche classes and I'm pretty sure it's usually in the manual.

    These Pieps specifically don't even fit in the harness correctly if you insert them with screen facing out. The harness is curved to match the beacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    13,801
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    it’s a Tool Chest - I took the label off

    second one in 15 years - the old one was pretty battered and faded - gave it to a new kid
    Andrew can make you something burly. https://outaware.com/products2.html

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,560

    Which new beacon in 2020?

    meh

    Iíve seen his stuff. Iíve seen better.

    my harness is good - all I need is a couple bar tacks not a new vest - I like a radio harness and pack not a vest
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    152
    All this PIEPS business has me thinking about replacing my DSP with one of the Barryvox models at some point. Does anyone have an opinion on the battery door on these? I saw one review that claimed they could be knocked open by an impact but I have never seen this concern repeated anywhere else.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,754
    Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    All this PIEPS business has me thinking about replacing my DSP with one of the Barryvox models at some point. Does anyone have an opinion on the battery door on these? I saw one review that claimed they could be knocked open by an impact but I have never seen this concern repeated anywhere else.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Just looked at mine and I would think it would take a pretty large impact, directly on the beacon, at exactly the right angle, to pop the battery door open. Also, the battery door doesn't contain the actual battery contacts ie the battery door would have to open AND the batteries would have to fall out for the beacon to fail.

    I feel like if the beacon took that hard of a hit, it's probably getting destroyed anyway. Along with the rest of my body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW, CO for now
    Posts
    667
    I've seen a lot of DPS sports on sale recently. As a someone in the outdoor retail world, I couldn't, in good conscious, sell someone a beacon that could fail on them in any way. Pieps response has left a lot to be desired. I can't believe they made a video showing exactly how easy it is to slide into the wrong position.

    I'm glad I went with the Barrvox instead.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Wydaho
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    I've seen a lot of DPS sports on sale recently. As a someone in the outdoor retail world, I couldn't, in good conscious, sell someone a beacon that could fail on them in any way. Pieps response has left a lot to be desired. I can't believe they made a video showing exactly how easy it is to slide into the wrong position.

    I'm glad I went with the Barrvox instead.
    100% agree. My husband and I both have DSP pros that are 3 years old. They are in great shape (had a low key 1st season as I was pregnant). I really canít feel good about having this beacon seeing the lengthy list of people having issues and the near misses and death. I also donít feel like I could sell them in good conscience. So we basically need to spend $700-$800 we werenít planning on spending in the next month. Very disappointing the consumer has to take on this cost.

    Iíll also say that if Pieps wants to chalk this all up to user error then the design is inherently flawed. No safety device should be so janky that even experienced professionals in large numbers canít use it properly.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,682
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Really? All beacons should always go with the screen facing your body. I thought this was widely taught in avalanche classes and I'm pretty sure it's usually in the manual.

    These Pieps specifically don't even fit in the harness correctly if you insert them with screen facing out. The harness is curved to match the beacon.
    Nope you're right, I pulled mine out this morning and checked. I wear it facing in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •