Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 167
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,682
    Yours looks much less used than the one in the post. Mine feels decent but I never thought about that piece failing.

    As a temporary thing, I bet a rubber band slipped on after turning the beacon on would prevent slipping to the off position. Not that that's acceptable with a beacon

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,753
    I have had a PSP Pro (same model as the one in that IG post) switch modes in my pants pocket. I've posted about it before. If carried in the supplied harness, I think this failure is unlikely, although it does appear that they were using the harness in this instance. The beacon they were using has an older style housing than the current model - the current model has a different (and better) switch design.

    To me it looks like the switch was just worn out, which could happen on any beacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,931

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,541
    yeah that’s what I mentioned before

    been fiddling with my new one and it seems ok


    nothing

    I repeat

    nothing

    is perfect
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    10,381
    PIEPS has always had that problem. I have used the same beacon for years, and have known that. This is the way that I roll.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7273.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	343292
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7272.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	577.9 KB 
ID:	343293
    I don't plan on changing.
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,541
    yeah I hated that beacon a lot
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    2,871
    After the last thread about the switch issue on the DPS Pro, the only issue I could replicate on mine was it switching from search to send somewhat too easily. The locking button for going from send-to-off or send-to-search never failed, assuming it was properly engaged to begin with. But as noted, know your beacon and practice^3. I would buy another Pieps(BD) beacon.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,931
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    After the last thread about the switch issue on the DPS Pro, the only issue I could replicate on mine was it switching from search to send somewhat too easily. The locking button for going from send-to-off or send-to-search never failed, assuming it was properly engaged to begin with. But as noted, know your beacon and practice^3. I would buy another Pieps(BD) beacon.
    I believe the lack of lock going from search to send (but not in the other direction) is by design.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    2,871
    Agreed. My only issue was that there was no obvious click or other indication of it moving out of search; it seemed to go into a limbo zone between the two extremes of the settings, and then revert to send somewhat spontaneously. I preferred the switch of the pulse/element in that regard. I never installed the upgrade to allow auto searcg-to-send after a period of inactivity for the Pieps.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    1,130
    I had a buddy who had issues with the switch on a DSP of ISBD's vintage. He's an avalanche professional, so his gear sees considerably more use than the average bear. I don't remember if it was going from send to search or going from send to off, but the lock failed in some manner.

    Either way, I'm surprised to hear the conclusions of "eh, stuff wears out". This is true, but it's also true that a lot of critical hardware and software is designed to "fail safe" to prevent catastrophe in the event of equipment failure. Nothing is perfect, yes, but it seems like this design could be a lot better (maybe it is on the newer versions?)

    Edit to add that this is an especially interesting topic in light of the Idaho snowmobile fatality last March that AFAIK involved a beacon that had been checked at the trailhead (<---hearsay, not confirmed) not but was not on during extrication.
    Last edited by North; 10-12-2020 at 05:25 PM.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,753
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Either way, I'm surprised to hear the conclusions of "eh, stuff wears out". This is true, but it's also true that a lot of critical hardware and software is designed to "fail safe" to prevent catastrophe in the event of equipment failure. Nothing is perfect, yes, but it seems like this design could be a lot better (maybe it is on the newer versions?)
    Agreed with all of this. I think the first and second gen DSP switches are poorly designed, for a few reasons, but they're otherwise good beacons. I also agree with MikeyB that nothing is perfect. The new Pieps/BD switch is definitely better. And IMO, the switch designs on many other beacons are even better still.

    More than anything else, people need to check their gear. I'm going to be checking my wife's second gen DSP Pro tonight to make sure it's still in good shape. It's 5 years old now though, so maybe I'll just upgrade it.

    That ID fatality - I just re-read the report, it doesn't say they had checked beacons? I don't recall hearing that they did, but could have been posted elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    1,130
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    That ID fatality - I just re-read the report, it doesn't say they had checked beacons? I don't recall hearing that they did, but could have been posted elsewhere.
    I never heard an official word, but remember reading somewhere that a member of the group said they did a check at the beginning of the day. Maybe a message board or social media. It was early COVID times and I was bored so I went deep. I'll edit my post.

    In both the Idaho fatality and the Taylor mtn one on April 1 the beacons were off when the victims were recovered. I suppose if the parties were adamant that they did a beacon check, this information would've been in the reports so maybe it's fair to assume it was human error in both cases.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I believe the lack of lock going from search to send (but not in the other direction) is by design.
    And this makes sense.

    My 2006 DSP pro (about to be retired) has its "equilibrium position" as send. IOW it's easy to slide into send, but requires a conscious effort to switch from send to recevie.

    This is the DSP Pro of which I speak - the same battered and bruised one that @schindlerpiste posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7273.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	343292
    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 10-13-2020 at 02:55 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  14. #64
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    14,072

    Which new beacon in 2020?

    Is Pieps offering any kind of buyback plan?

    It seems like the whole lineup relies on that switch type

    Wondering cuz I have the old yellow dsp & a green/yellow dsp sport
    (Neither of which has a huge number of days on them)

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    1,130
    Pitchforks are out on the social medias on this one. Interesting that Pieps demonstrates that the switch on a normally operating unit can be forced into off from send.

    Unrelated: How many Barryvox users are relying on the pinpoint tech? I practiced with mine a lot last season, but did not do enough controlled experimentation to determine whether it was more or less reliable than the standard grid method. Thus far I've continued to do a full grid, and in that case the pinpoint function becomes somewhat distracting.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    4,378
    Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Unrelated: How many Barryvox users are relying on the pinpoint tech? I practiced with mine a lot last season, but did not do enough controlled experimentation to determine whether it was more or less reliable than the standard grid method. Thus far I've continued to do a full grid, and in that case the pinpoint function becomes somewhat distracting.
    Can you say more about this? I'm a newer Barryvox user. My manual doesn't say anything about "pinpoint tech" -- it says to use a grid fine search.

    During this search phase hold the transceiver at knee height!
    The Barryvox® indicates you the first axis of the fine search,
    refered to as the “runway” in the “Airport Approach” teaching
    model.
    For novice companion rescuers, it is usually faster to proceed
    with the probe once they have found to lowest distance indication on the first axis.
    For intermediate and advanced users, it is advised to apply a
    classic grid search pattern.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    1,130
    It might be a feature that is unique to the S model. During fine search, the S will at some point switch to a new screen that says "probe here". This will sometimes (usually?) happen before I finish my grid.

    Shown around 3:45 mark here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm_TMxh7Abw

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    4,378
    Way to shoot yourself in the foot Pieps: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGT6EzAlgLn/

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Methow Valley
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Way to shoot yourself in the foot Pieps: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGT6EzAlgLn/
    Yeah. I'm no marketing professional but I believe that when you make a video for your customers to show there is no issue with your product you shouldn't show the exact problem people are complaining about.

    Seems like a design flaw to me.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,541
    quite the kerfuffle

    I’m curious how and why it blew up now?

    I’m not quite ready to jump on the “Pieps sucks” train, but I’m paying attention.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    4,378
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    quite the kerfuffle

    I’m curious how and why it blew up now?

    I’m not quite ready to jump on the “Pieps sucks” train, but I’m paying attention.
    It blew up now because big pros created a series of well written posts about it on IG.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,901
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    quite the kerfuffle

    I’m curious how and why it blew up now?

    I’m not quite ready to jump on the “Pieps sucks” train, but I’m paying attention.
    Nick Mcnutt recently called them out for his beacon turning off in an avalanche he was in. I'm assuming the social media frenzy started with that. Not very often you see a pro skier call out some company in the industry for a shitty product.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,931
    I used more than "moderate force" on mine and it didn't budge.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    13,541

    Which new beacon in 2020?

    mine too

    but I have a new model


    maybe I’ll try to break it
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    4,378
    ^^ yep. And you have super-cool-pros like Cody weighing in on it.

    https://beaconreviews.com/Specs_PiepsDSP_switch.php is a good summary.

    I've personally seen issue #2 on a beacon with less than 30 days on it. We wrote it down in our cool AIARE blue books cause we assumed we were noob idiots. I parted ways with that ski partner, but have recently seen him posting that it's happened again since then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •