Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I had multiple S1's (first reprogrammed and them replaced by Ortovox) that would crash like they were running Windows 95. I'd MUCH rather run a DSP and double check the button every time out than use an S1. Or a Tracker, or a Tracker 2, and possibly a Tracker 3 or 3+.

Pieps/BD deserves criticism for sure. They need to do more to make this right. But do I trust Pieps/BD any less than BCA (who still hasn't released a Beacon as good as the original DSP which was released in 2003) or Ortovox? No.

^ Wow, had two S1 and still have an S1+ for a loaner, none of them ever crashed. Didn't use the S1 units a whole lot though, so you probably had a lot more hours on yours.

Whoa, I should inspect my safety gear?

I'm thinking of coming out with a bomb proof beacon that is over engineered to handle anything you throw at it. I'm thinking MSRP will be around $2k. Who's in?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

I always felt the S-1 was a design that was predicated on, "yeah we can make it do that too" rather than " it finds and is found by other beacons simply and reliably".
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Sample of one, but I thought the S1 was abysmal. One and only beacon I bought then sold after one "use"/first practice. Way too complicated and whatever version I had was crazy slow in updating.

Second worse was the Tracker2 and the ease of accidentally bumping the switch back to transmit while searching.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    [...] It seems like the whole lineup relies on that switch type[...]
    The latest generation of Pieps/BD beacons uses a different switch design (even though upon a first glance it looks like the older design).
    But the older DSP Sport continues to be sold new alongside the latest generation of Pieps/BD beacons.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

seems like a lot of confusion about the different generations of DSP

apples and oranges and bananas

maybe folks should make sure they know what they’re talking about

https://beaconreviews.com
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    hey that’s my picture!

anyone had problems with the newer model?
    Whoops, sorry, I'll take some of the blame for that.
    I can get a photo credit added if you want.
    That photo was really important in researching what was going on for the purposes of drafting that page -- really appreciate that (i.e., as opposed to the all-too-typical social media complaints w/o documentation).

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I think most the issues are with the DSP series. They changed the naming in the last couple years when they updated the locking mechanism (which is now two slides versus a push and a slide)
    Yep, it looks the same, but seems to be immune from the failures of the DSP Sport & DSP Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Almost positive I've seen a pic of the new double slider broken. That doesn't mean it isn't rare.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app
    With the caveat that anything can break, that just seems impossible for any kind of normal use with the new switch design?

photo credit is not necessary but never hurts

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    [...] For instance, the Ortovox 3+ has the very cool feature where it will switch to the optimal antenna in transmit mode depending on burial position. Helps others find you, who doesn't want that? [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Isn't "optimal" subjective? What if the person is on a hill, or on a flat, or in a terrain trap (gully) or steep creek trap, wouldn't that change the 'optimal' antenna to use?

I suggest, if 3 antenna, there should be a protocol that allows devices to transmit on each antenna in 3 separate transmissions, basically allowing the receiver to pick up on whatever transmissions it receives. They probably do this already for all I know.
    The Ortovox features uses a gyroscope to avoid transmitting on an antenna that is oriented vertically.
    However, aside from that, if the beacon housing is in line with the horizontal plane, then that feature doesn't help at all, because the beacon has no way of knowing which of the two main antenna's is most closely in line with the searcher(s).

By contrast, twitching back-and-forth between the two main antennas (the third isn't powerful enough to transmit, except perhaps on the flip-out Arva model), or transmitting simultaneously on both antennas, would be a ghosting nightmare that would make searching for an old light-blue F1 look like a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Second worse was the Tracker2 and the ease of accidentally bumping the switch back to transmit while searching.
    I definitely saw that happen while teaching courses. But BCA did issue a recall to stiffen up that switch.

I'm still using an Ortovox S1 (not the +). Haven't had any weird behavior or glitches, seems to work properly in tests and practice searches.

Is this one now too old to safely use?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'd be fine touring with someone using an original S1, it probably comes down to someone's personal experience with them.

I wouldn't be too keen on partners having old Trackers though.

Ortovox usually does a beacon trade in program this time of year....

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm still using an Ortovox S1 (not the +). Haven't had any weird behavior or glitches, seems to work properly in tests and practice searches.

Is this one now too old to safely use?
    Fuck no. I've been through 4 of the s. The last one is actually working like it should, but and it will switch to transmission.

No. Can I say that louder?

No. I don't care if you are good with firmware upgrades.

Marcus used to be on speed dial.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Which new beacon in 2020?

fuck it
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 10-21-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I'd be fine touring with someone using an original S1, it probably comes down to someone's personal experience with them.

I wouldn't be too keen on partners having old Trackers though.
    A few seasons ago I was still rocking a Tracker DTS. It was working great, during practice I was hitting signals from further distances than people with fancy new beacons. But I got a lot of shit from friends so I bought a new beacon.

Well... I bought a Pieps DSP Sport....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    The last one is actually working like it should, but and it will switch to transmission.
    It'll switch to transmission during a search?

Be sure to listen to all his commentary at the end after the demonstration, since he adds that he had another DSP beacon -- with the same switch design -- which did not display this behavior:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CGnq_GFjoeD/

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    It'll switch to transmission during a search?
    Yes. If I'm immobile for a set period of time. I think it is 120 seconds.

^ Exactly. The S1 can be set to revert to transmit as quickly as 30 seconds without motion, even if still flipped open in "receive" mode. Nice feature actually, in case user is caught by a secondary and doesn't have a chance to flip it closed.

Paging Jonathon S and anyone else with experience with Barryvox... So what are peoples thoughts on the normal Barryvox for the Barryvox S? I tour 2-3 times a week, so more than an occasional user but certainly not guiding or patrolling etc. Are the extra features of the S worthwhile for the somewhat serious "recreational" user?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Paging Jonathon S and anyone else with experience with Barryvox... So what are peoples thoughts on the normal Barryvox for the Barryvox S? I tour 2-3 times a week, so more than an occasional user but certainly not guiding or patrolling etc. Are the extra features of the S worthwhile for the somewhat serious "recreational" user?
    Have you seen this run-down by Mammut?
    http://www.mammutavalanchesafety.com...vox-s-and.html

I’m a KISS guy, went with the ‘normal’ Bvox. No ragrets.

I had not seen that, thanks!

I’m trying both this season