Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Yeah, no lithium for reg Barryvox
    First line in the Batteries section: “Only use alkaline (LR03/AAA) batteries of the same type.”
    https://static.mammut.com/file/Barry...e-Guide_EN.pdf
    Ah, my apologies. I misread and assumed you had the S. Good job not trusting me!

Just remember that you have to start off with a new set of lithium batteries then use them continuously.
    The remaining power is a calculation based on cumulative use in the beacon, since the remaining power can't be measured as with alkaline batteries.
    Otherwise, if you use some other lithium batteries, the power might die off with almost no warning.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Just remember that you have to start off with a new set of lithium batteries then use them continuously.
    The remaining power is a calculation based on cumulative use in the beacon, since the remaining power can't be measured as with alkaline batteries.
    Otherwise, if you use some other lithium batteries, the power might die off with almost no warning.
    Maybe I'm an old curmudgeon, but I still think, despite the power and life, lith don't belong in transceivers.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

This thread is confusing, can someone tell me which beacon to buy?

Which new beacon in 2020?

Mammut

check yer PMs
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    yup

check yo messages
    Do the codes works on "packages"? Looking to set me and the boy up with a BSP kit

I believe they work on your whole order

Yabba Dabba Dooo

thx mikey b

FWIW, I tried to buy the package with the code and it was ultimately rejected, but the preview screen showed the full discount and then I clicked buy and was charged the full amount, got this from support "I just checked, and the reason is because our codes and discounts can not be applied to Barryvox or the Eiger extreme collection, as well as items on sale." I went ahead and cancelled the order.

Well that sucks balls. Was gonna pull the trigger this morning. Maybe I'll have to piece it together then
    I'll update
    Question; the light and touring packages seem to be only a few ounces light than the standard package, is it worth it ? Pros and cons?

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Question; the light and touring packages seem to be only a few ounces light than the standard package, is it worth it ? Pros and cons?
    I think the “light” is for skimo, shorter folding items to fit in smaller pack & vaguely lighter weight

last I knew those codes worked for Barryvox

obviously, YMMV

It did for me on two in one order

Done, stoked. Thx!

fkna

Do you have any more discount codes available to share? Looking to get my first kit so this is very timely.

Thank you!

The outdoorgearlab reviews have some feedback that the fine search on the Barryvox (non S model) is not as accurate or fast as others. Any complaints about this in your testing?

Which new beacon in 2020?

I do not agree. I find it just as accurate and just as fast.

Problem is, people often move too fast in the fine search, and that affects speed and accuracy. When you’re down in fine search, go slow to go fast. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Same. When compared to a newer Pieps and my old DSP, my Barryvox is at least slightly faster and considerably more intuitive at a fine search.

The outdoorgearlab reviews have some feedback that the fine search on the Barryvox (non S model) is not as accurate or fast as others. Any complaints about this in your testing?
    Holy shit, really? Hate to break it to you but the biggest thing that slows down beacon searches isn't the beacon.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

yeah but the reviews say…….

Outdoor gear lab reviews are bad even when they hire qualified reviewers. Their way of categorizing and quantifying always directs focus away from what matters to what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by m5d5cb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I do not agree. I find it just as accurate and just as fast.

Problem is, people often move too fast in the fine search, and that affects speed and accuracy. When you’re down in fine search, go slow to go fast. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Same. When compared to a newer Pieps and my old DSP, my Barryvox is at least slightly faster and considerably more intuitive at a fine search.
    Remember that a beacon is sending out a signal only once a second (+/- 0.3 seconds).
    With the exception of multi-burial searches, any beacon is spending most of its time just waiting for the next signal to arrive so that it can be processed.
    I suspect that the perception of beacon speed for single-burial searches is just that, a perception, and not the reality of how quickly the beacon is processing and displaying valuable information.

Name:  spec.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  24.0 KB
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

I haven't had the need to beep for way too many years. But now that I'm back in the mountains it seems silly not to have the equipment.

I don't and won't likely tour. I will practice and learn. Uses will be lift accessed terrain like the ridge, hobacks and Jackson slackcountry (etc.). Simple would be the best.

Barryvox seems the recent darling. Any reason to not go that route? Others I should consider?

Any Mikey hookups left to sway my purchase?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

yup