Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    That’s not a roaster - it’s a space station!

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    new roaster day (with my old roaster for scale)

we're in it now, boys

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    God damn! Now that’s a roaster!

Where does the queue start for willing Guinea Pigs in the necessary test roasting project?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Where does the queue start for willing Guinea Pigs in the necessary test roasting project?
    2 of us is a queue, right?
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

tgapp, you mind giving a refresher on City Roast? Saw it on a bag from a local roaster. Seems like it’s generically used for light-medium roasts, but I thought I remembered you elaborating on it at one point.
    Searched and couldn’t find.

Got a scale for Christmas. Now my Aeropress setup is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Got a scale for Christmas. Now my Aeropress setup is complete.

Haha..."complete". You've only begun the descent into the rabbit hole.

I was gifted a 1Zpresso JX grinder. It's nicer than I expected, and has relegated the Baratza to the bottom drawer, only to emerge when I need to make over 2 cups for company.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Haha..."complete". You've only begun the descent into the rabbit hole.

I was gifted a 1Zpresso JX grinder. It's nicer than I expected, and has relegated the Baratza to the bottom drawer, only to emerge when I need to make over 2 cups for company.
    Yeah, I have to keep myself in check but I've got a JX as well and there's only two coffee drinkers in the house so an Aeropress is the best option. I've looked into other methods but after using a French Press for years and not wanting to spend the money on an Espresso machine I think I'm set. Now roasting at home.

tgapp, you mind giving a refresher on City Roast? Saw it on a bag from a local roaster. Seems like it’s generically used for light-medium roasts, but I thought I remembered you elaborating on it at one point.

City roast is a light roast to the general public, but a medium roast among roasters. It means the beans have completed first crack but no further.

Just picked up 5lbs of Ethiopian Goraa. Never done it before, sounds like a cool bean.

Yeah, idk why coffee roasters use such esoteric language to describe roast levels. City refers to a roast that completes first crack and then is dumped out of the roaster. This usually would mean the lightest of light commercial roasts. The scale goes -

City (dumped right after first crack finishes)
    City + (dumped 30 seconds to a minute after first crack finishes)
    Full City (dumped right as second crack starts, or a few seconds before. Often full city will enter second crack in the cooling tray)
    Full City + (dumped in the middle of second crack)
    Vienna (well after second crack has finished)
    French roast (about the time the fire department shows up)

Almost all high end coffee will be between city and full city. I'm a fan of city+.

/\ /\ /\
    Thanks. It was further confused by them having one bean labeled as Light Roast and another bean labeled as City Roast. Bought them both, so will see if this new roaster is any good.

/\ /\ /\
    Thanks. It was further confused by them having one bean labeled as Light Roast and another bean labeled as City Roast. Bought them both, so will see if this new roaster is any good.

I buy commercial coffee rarely, but I do have people give me a few bags every year. For my scale - city+ is a light medium to a medium, but usually commercial roasters will call FC+ medium. Starbucks has forever ruined that scale. Their lightest roasted coffee is darker than I would ever imagine taking a roast.

So if you were going to order a sample pack from a roaster somewhere (CONUS) where would it be? Or is there a tgapp mail order service where send $$$ to?

I'm upping my coffee game in an effort to diminish my caffeine intake. Typically I've drank Costco pre-ground, 40oz+ every morning via my Stanley 48oz french press. Turns out, drinkin that much coffee with an anxiety disorder ain't the best idea. So to cut back I'm allowing myself 1 (sometimes 2) 8oz cup a day. But trying to elevate the experience a bit.

Brewing with an Aeropress and a Timemore C2 ginder. Sometimes french press when I have company. Starting to learn I prefer higher-elevation beans (Ethopian / Kenyan). Curious to try some "naturally" processed coffee....as I generally like funk as a person.

This was one shop I came across that looks decent and has sampler packs: https://www.blackcoffeeroastingco.co...tegory/coffee/

JBC coffee

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    So if you were going to order a sample pack from a roaster somewhere (CONUS) where would it be? Or is there a tgapp mail order service where send $$$ to?

I'm upping my coffee game in an effort to diminish my caffeine intake. Typically I've drank Costco pre-ground, 40oz+ every morning via my Stanley 48oz french press. Turns out, drinkin that much coffee with an anxiety disorder ain't the best idea. So to cut back I'm allowing myself 1 (sometimes 2) 8oz cup a day. But trying to elevate the experience a bit.

Brewing with an Aeropress and a Timemore C2 ginder. Sometimes french press when I have company. Starting to learn I prefer higher-elevation beans (Ethopian / Kenyan). Curious to try some "naturally" processed coffee....as I generally like funk as a person.

This was one shop I came across that looks decent and has sampler packs: https://www.blackcoffeeroastingco.co...tegory/coffee/
    I can make you a way better sample pack than that one. Plus because it's build your own you could inadvertently end up picking out three coffees that are all very similar. DM me your address and I'll put one together the next time I roast

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    JBC coffee

Or yeh that. That's my standard answer these days. Or Klatch or Cimarron or Paradise or Dragonfly. But mostly JBC.

I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, but consensus on freezing whole beans?

I ordered my subscription 2lb bag early, and then the company sent me another 2lb on the regular date too So I've got about 5lb of coffee sitting around now that I won't use for probably two months. My normal method for preservation is a vacuum container, but it only holds about 24oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, but consensus on freezing whole beans?

I ordered my subscription 2lb bag early, and then the company sent me another 2lb on the regular date too So I've got about 5lb of coffee sitting around now that I won't use for probably two months. My normal method for preservation is a vacuum container, but it only holds about 24oz.
    Freeze them as soon as you can, in an airtight bag. Coffee does great in the freezer.

Yea I had jbc coffee that held up for 6 months in the freezer. Some deterioration but not much.

Yo Tgapp, how do you roast your Wush Wush? I’m getting some sweet flavors but nothing like the cotton candy you’ve described.

Yea I had jbc coffee that held up for 6 months in the freezer. Some deterioration but not much.

Yo Tgapp, how do you roast your Wush Wush? I’m getting some sweet flavors but nothing like the cotton candy you’ve described.

I haven't had the Roastmasters Wush Wush yet so it might be a different lot/crop, but in general, I like to dump it around 1:00-1:15 after 1cs. Then let it sit for around 8 days before drinking it.

I did buy 10lbs of the ASD Elida and 10lbs of that Wush, so I'm excited to try them both.

Cool. I drank it at day 4 so I’ll wait a few more days and see how it is.

Wush Wush has gotten a bit better but still not the cotton candy flavor. I have another two batches sitting and will see how they do. I slowed the roast down with both, one more than the other.

Anyone ordered some good Ethiopian Naturals recently?

Anyone ordered some good Ethiopian Naturals recently?

https://royalcoffee.com/product/3427097000010940055/

I drink a fuckton of Ethiopian naturals and I really like this one. It's not life changing but it is solid, with good acidity and structure while still having big fruit flavors and a decent bit of floral/tea notes.