Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AmmergauerTele View Post
    Dipping my toe into the roasting - just ordered the Behmor 2000, looking forward to trying to dial it in. Between this and the espresso thread - best reads out there. Got me dialed in with 18g beans with a 1.5 output of espresso. I was making too much espresso and going bitter. Now time to dial in the roasting game. I usually drink americanos - any recommendation for beans?
    Nice dude! Behmor is a great machine, you should have a ton of fun with it.

My recommendation would be to buy a bunch of different coffees from a bunch of different growing areas with a bunch of different processing methods and then learn what you like. Pay attention to the coffees you always run out of, and buy more of those. There's no accounting for taste, it's all subjective. Sweet Maria's is probably the best vendor for getting a wide variety of coffees. Over time, you'll learn not only what general regions you like, but which producers and growers really cater to your tastes. Galo Morales has three lots on Royal right now and it is taking all of my self control not to purchase one of those boxes. His coffee is so fucking good.

I tend to drink a lot of East African and Central American coffees. I skew more towards naturals (preferring wild anaerobic fermented coffees, honestly) but I always have a decent selection of washed coffee on hand as well. I generally don't drink too many South American coffees (they're too well rounded for my taste honestly), but I get the appeal. Similarly, coffees from Oceania are great but not great every day for me - there's only so much sweet tobacco and earth and herbal medicinal flavors I can take, but some people love that shit. Worst case too, if you buy something you don't end up liking, roast it and send it to a friend (or a maggot) & chances are, they'll love it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Okay, about that decaf Sidama that a few mags are roasting now:

I found that this coffee DEFINITELY races, but it's still quite manageable in the drum. It doesn't seem to tip or char too easily, so you should be able to charge quite hot but then make big moves early on to keep it from racing. This profile is the one I've settled on for an unabashedly crowd pleasing coffee (trading complexity for sweetness, which for my use cases - affogatos, lattes, and feel-good coffee, is perfect) - if i really wanted to pull more nuance out of this coffee I would cut my dev time by like 8-10%, easily. Fuck that though, the point of decaf is to serve it with ice cream and in martinis and in fucking decadent whole milk lattes. Save the light&bright shit for 6:00am pourovers.

So - to do this, I charge hot as fuck, but then I pull off gas very quickly in the profile. charge at .25KPA, roaster idling comfortably at 395, at turn, gas to 2.5Kpa (i wish my turn was a little lower tbh) At 4:10 (dry end) I went from 2.5 to 2.0 kPas of gas, and then again at 5:00 down to 1.75, at 5:50, 1.5kPa, 6:35, 1.25 kPa, 7:25, 1.00 kPa, coast til 1cs, at 9:00 (1min post 1cs), gas@.5kPa, at 9:30, gas at .25kPa. So like, the general trend line is, big moves early on to keep the coffee from racing. Still, you can see - the coffee WANTED to race through the maillard stage, so you have to balance dropping heat from bottoming out and stalling the roast.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sidama decaf profile.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	417774
    sorry i'm a hack and i still don't record my gas changes on my profile - still, big moves early is the theme of this coffee.

*edit* re-reading jackattack's comments, the dude is absolutely right about this coffee. he's done like 20 roasts or whatever and he already has a strong command on this shit, FKNA. you nailed it though buddy, it sounds like we landed on very similar profiles

also i scored this sticker from dibs and now i feel like my roaster is perfect

Name:	PXL_20220531_163758446.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	417775

thanks buddy, i owe you

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Okay, about that decaf Sidama that a few mags are roasting now:

I found that this coffee DEFINITELY races, but it's still quite manageable in the drum. It doesn't seem to tip or char too easily, so you should be able to charge quite hot but then make big moves early on to keep it from racing. This profile is the one I've settled on for an unabashedly crowd pleasing coffee (trading complexity for sweetness, which for my use cases - affogatos, lattes, and feel-good coffee, is perfect) - if i really wanted to pull more nuance out of this coffee I would cut my dev time by like 8-10%, easily. Fuck that though, the point of decaf is to serve it with ice cream and in martinis and in fucking decadent whole milk lattes. Save the light&bright shit for 6:00am pourovers.

So - to do this, I charge hot as fuck, but then I pull off gas very quickly in the profile. charge at .25KPA, roaster idling comfortably at 395, at turn, gas to 2.5Kpa (i wish my turn was a little lower tbh) At 4:10 (dry end) I went from 2.5 to 2.0 kPas of gas, and then again at 5:00 down to 1.75, at 5:50, 1.5kPa, 6:35, 1.25 kPa, 7:25, 1.00 kPa, coast til 1cs, at 9:00 (1min post 1cs), gas@.5kPa, at 9:30, gas at .25kPa. So like, the general trend line is, big moves early on to keep the coffee from racing. Still, you can see - the coffee WANTED to race through the maillard stage, so you have to balance dropping heat from bottoming out and stalling the roast.

Name:	sidama decaf profile.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	417774
    sorry i'm a hack and i still don't record my gas changes on my profile - still, big moves early is the theme of this coffee.

*edit* re-reading jackattack's comments, the dude is absolutely right about this coffee. he's done like 20 roasts or whatever and he already has a strong command on this shit, FKNA. you nailed it though buddy, it sounds like we landed on very similar profiles
    Nice, I'm excited to brew this one.

I was focused on the charge temp so I forgot to start Artisan. Ignoring thermocouple differences, timing is pretty bang on with your roast, maybe let it get a little hot at the end. I'll try pulling back on the amperage a bit earlier next time.

Name:	220529 CJ Decaf Eth Organic Sidama Nat SWP.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	417797

Can someone school me the best way to make a grip of cold brew coffee from these sweet sweet beans?

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Can someone school me the best way to make a grip of cold brew coffee from these sweet sweet beans?
    I use a French press and brew 8:1 for 12-18 hours.
    Use filtered water. Grind on the coarse end of medium.
    Give it a stir after the first hour to incorporate all the grounds. Then press a little while before you pour it off to let the sediment settle down. You can run it through a coffee filter a little at a time if you’re sensitive to sediment but I usually just let the mud settle in whatever bottle or jar It’s stored in.
    Cut with water or milk of your choice 1:1 to serve.

how big is your French press.
    Seems a lot of time for not a lot of liquid

The liquid is concentrated, so it makes double. You can use any pitcher it’s just not as convenient to filter at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Seems a lot of time for not a lot of liquid
    This is why I don't do cold brew. I like Japanese flash ice brewing. It's much quicker. Check it out here:

https://www.seriouseats.com/japanese-style-iced-coffee

This is why I don't do cold brew. I like Japanese flash ice brewing. It's much quicker. Check it out here:

https://www.seriouseats.com/japanese-style-iced-coffee

Agreed.
    Aeropress over ice is my jam in the summer, but for some people “brewing” is just too much work and that’s where cold brew comes in. It has its place.

Drinking a dry processed Ethiopian Shantawene roasted by Jackattack and it's just incredible. Amazingly sweet, blueberry, floral, fucking delicious. This is excellent, well done coffee.

Ran into DTM at Esperanto last night and I saw in our texts that he also loved Shantawene from like 2 years ago, awesome to see how things have come full circle.

Drinking a dry processed Ethiopian Shantawene roasted by Jackattack and it's just incredible. Amazingly sweet, blueberry, floral, fucking delicious. This is excellent, well done coffee.

Ran into DTM at Esperanto last night and I saw in our texts that he also loved Shantawene from like 2 years ago, awesome to see how things have come full circle.

I’m in the market for beans. You bought anything lately you like?

Really liking the 22lb of Mexican Bella Vista from Royal even though it’s not my normal floral / fruity Ethiopians.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’m in the market for beans. You bought anything lately you like?

Really liking the 22lb of Mexican Bella Vista from Royal even though it’s not my normal floral / fruity Ethiopians.
    dude I am drowning in good coffee right now, I keep buying more because I have no self control

what are you looking for?

dude I am drowning in good coffee right now, I keep buying more because I have no self control

what are you looking for?

Ethiopian naturals are my go to. Looking for some of the Wush Wush that had the cotton Candy flavor profile.

Ethiopian naturals are my go to. Looking for some of the Wush Wush that had the cotton Candy flavor profile.
    https://www.klatchcoffee.com/product...-gr1?bgIndex=1

https://www.klatchcoffee.com/product...-gr1?bgIndex=6

I just bought both of those and I'm roasting for the first time today. I've read some commentary about them and they sound pretty wild. I'll let you know what I think.

https://www.klatchcoffee.com/product...-gr1?bgIndex=1

https://www.klatchcoffee.com/product...-gr1?bgIndex=6

I just bought both of those and I'm roasting for the first time today. I've read some commentary about them and they sound pretty wild. I'll let you know what I think.

Both of those look awesome

I like the flavor profile of the worka: blueberry + blueberry + blueberry

That Wush Wush stuff was the bomb. tgapp sent me some and I loved it.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Both of those look awesome

I like the flavor profile of the worka: blueberry + blueberry + blueberry
    Goddammit, I thought you were being facetious. Nope.

It's in the drum right now, pretty fast coffee that wants to carry momentum.

Gotta be safe while toasting. I mean roasting. Damn autocorrect.

Cool, just bought those. Blueberry blueberry, blueberry sounds right up my alley.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

tgapp

I’ll trade you a fermentation crock for some java humongous
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    tgapp

I’ll trade you a fermentation crock for some java humongous
    No trade necessary but I would kill for some of your pickles/fermented food. Unfortunately they probably don't transport too well

Text me your address and I'll mail you some beans

Yeah, the wush wush was fantastic!

I was talking to someone today and they said that the best coffee roast to use in a meat run is coffee roasted to a cinnamon level (extremely light, before 1st crack). Claimed it made the best run he’s had. Google doesn’t say much on this. Anyone have any experience?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Grinder finally came in after a 2 months wait so I can finally see the true potential of the Mara. What a step up it is compared to any coffee I've had for the past 30-some years...

Name:	PXL_20220622_043612638.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	419565
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

tgapp, I am fast approaching your neck of the woods and would love to try some of your roasted beans. Is the deal still donate the equivalent to charity?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Grinder finally came in after a 2 months wait so I can finally see the true potential of the Mara. What a step up it is compared to any coffee I've had for the past 30-some years...

Name:	PXL_20220622_043612638.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	419565
    Very nice!! Enjoy.
    Uno mas