Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Damn, vegetation as thick as '70 bush on that island!

That's some awesome stoke for this time of year, Harry. Congrats on the island!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Filled my little thermos with some of tgapp’s Ethiopian Wush Wush and headed out to my new island. Set up my camp chair, roasted a bowl of indica, sipped some awesome coffee, and enjoyed the peace and solitude.

Attachment 387621

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Goddamn, Harry. I love everything about this pic. So fucking jealous, and honored to be able to contribute in a small way. Here I am drinking instant coffee, too - the seamstresses kids go to school in rags, I guess.

Thanks for sharing the stoke

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Harry owns an island? Fack.

However many are in a shit ton.

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Harry owns an island? Fack.

7 acres ! Just made the deal last week, close in 20-some days. Free coffee to any maggot who visits my island.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Filled my little thermos with some of tgapp’s Ethiopian Wush Wush and headed out to my new island. Set up my camp chair, roasted a bowl of indica, sipped some awesome coffee, and enjoyed the peace and solitude.

Attachment 387621

This is the best post on TGR in a long time. It’s like I went on a mini vacation in my imagination just reading it. For a brief moment I could taste the coffee, feel the indica inside and the wind and sun on the outside, hear the waves and leaves….bliss.

The reality must be incredibly satisfying.

The saying gets overused but this right here is “living your best life”

tgapp - just brewed a sweet Americano on the Silvia....dialing in the grind, working on the shot timing. Your advice was spot on - it is pumping out some great espresso. You are a Ledge!

Enjoying some mellow El Salvador Finca La Esperanza curtesy of tgapp. Sunrise in Northern Wisconsin from my Moms deck. My island is on that same lake system. Everything in life is better with nice beans flowing through my bloodstream.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1634475701.101218.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	389286

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Enjoying some mellow El Salvador Finca La Esperanza curtesy of tgapp. Sunrise in Northern Wisconsin from my Moms deck. My island is on that same lake system. Everything in life is better with nice beans flowing through my bloodstream.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1634475701.101218.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	389286

Beautiful, Harry! Fuck.

Funny timing, since I woke up early this morning to get some coffee out the door for mags who contributed to the k00ks to Yurp fundraiser.

I also ran out of the bags I've been using to mail coffee to mags today, which means that by my count, I've shipped over 100lbs (green, as roasted weight is slightly less) out to the community. Pretty cool for a ski bum doing this as a hobby.

When I look back at my roast curves (the analytical tool we use to measure roasts), I'm really stoked at how much progress I've made over the last year and a half. Roasting for tgr has helped me progress at an incredible rate; when I started this I had taken a few professional courses and I knew how I wanted my curves to look, but what I lacked was volume and repetition (something professional roasters easily get). It would have taken me 3-5 years to make this much progress on my own, which is fucking awesome. I still have a lot of progress to make, but I feel a lot more confident and skilled in my craft.

Thanks for indulging me here.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Just roasted some natural guji and right as I dumped it in the cooling tray I got a strong whiff of blueberry. Hopefully that is a good indicator.

Noticing that my roast times are significantly changing with the weather. In the summer it would be dry in the high 80s at times and start to finish would be about 8-9 minutes. Today in the low 50s and every things was 9-10.

Do you enter the Bodhi Leaf contest? I did - I'm curious what their feedback will be. I found that coffee (Banko Gotitu) to be fairly easy to work with, but it definitely had a tendency to race (many naturals do) - so I had to pull a lot of heat early on to keep it from just zooming into 1cs. I like that coffee a lot, but I wish I could get it 5-10 degrees cooler on exit. Thanks for the heads up on it.

The other thing that will fuck with your roast times is relative humidity. In the summer, beans are quite a bit drier, and if you store your beans at room temp, they'll acclimate to that. Many roasters will have a part of their protocol be a period of 12 hours pre-roast where they standardize both temp and humidity so that the input into their roaster is consistent, but that seems like such a headache.

Finally, on roaster smells, it's such tea-leaf reading IMO. I dunno - I've had gesha come out of the drum smelling like lilac in full bloom, only to be disappointed when I cup it later. Similarly, I've had coffee that I could have sworn was total rubbish based off of my curves that ended up tasting amazing. There are guys who will tell you to learn to roast by smell alone; ones who use the trier on their roaster to make definite decisions, but that seems like some next level Zen practice.

I didn’t. I don’t feel like my efforts are up to competing. Roaster is giving decent results but it is very hard for me to dial / change settings with the gene. I need to bite the bullet and buy a Bullet.

Thanks to this excellent thread I’m taking the plunge on a used Behmor, beans / roasting is the weakest link in my favorite daily ritual, thanks tgapp!

Quote Originally Posted by ctsmith View Post
    Thanks to this excellent thread I’m taking the plunge on a used Behmor, beans / roasting is the weakest link in my favorite daily ritual, thanks tgapp!
    Nice man, good luck with the Behmor! Those are great machines.

Neufox, I ended up cupping at an 86 during the competition, with the top home roaster coming in at 87.25 and their reference roast (professional) at 88.5. The only feedback I got was that my cup lacked acidity, which I feel was totally fair and deserved - I couldn't keep this coffee from racing towards the end, and it overshot my final temp by about 10 degrees. Really fun idea, I'll definitely participate when they do this next Sumatra.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Congrats on the score! Nice work.

I decided I’m buying a new roaster for myself, do I just go with the Bullet or are there any propane roasters I should consider? Seems like some people seem to claim to prefer the small propane roasters but didn’t go too far down that rabbit hole. Largest I’d want is probably a 1-1.5 kg roaster with the intention of roasting 1/2 that in a batch.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Congrats on the score! Nice work.

I decided I’m buying a new roaster for myself, do I just go with the Bullet or are there any propane roasters I should consider? Seems like some people seem to claim to prefer the small propane roasters but didn’t go too far down that rabbit hole. Largest I’d want is probably a 1-1.5 kg roaster with the intention of roasting 1/2 that in a batch.

Really good question - the answer here is a bit complicated, and I'm sure you'd get better analysis on a coffee forum, but you came to trg. so, here's my take on it -

The Bullet is a fantastic machine. It roasts great coffee. People with Bullets have their coffee win all sorts of home roasting competions - it's clearly very capable. I've roasted on one (owned by a maggot whose username I forgot - sorry Clark!!) - and they're awesome. they have really, really cool tech associated with them (IRBT sensor is groundbreaking), and the fact that they are induction based blows my mind. i'm a big fan of all things induction.

The problem with them, in my opinion, is that the curve data they produce is unlike any other roast curve out there (no one else uses an IR sensor to measure actual bean temp, for example)- and their controls are also unlike a real gas roaster's curves. It means that "talking shop" and learning roast theory from established roasters (Scott Rao, whomever else) is much more difficult, as the Bullet vs the rest conversation requires a translation where a considerable amount of data appears to be lost. If you only move in Bullet circles, this isn't an issue - they know how to profile on their machines, and they know what curves and patterns cup well and how to get great results.

Getting a small propane roaster fixes that, as they are essentially mini versions of what every other pro roaster roast. There's a benefit to shared language and techniques; if you get a mini gas roaster, your curve data will look exactly like that published by every other roaster in the community, and you can easily get feedback from a much broader audience - not just the Bullet community. Techniques like "gas dips", coasting, 1cs timing, etc, will be much easier to replicate on a mini gas roaster.

I just splurged and got a Buckeye Phoenix Oro 2.5lb roaster (new old stock) - I agonized over this exact same decision for a long time, and I ended up going the propane roaster path, mostly because I got a killer deal on a "real" roaster that checked all the boxes for me.

I would add the following roasters to your shortlist:

Cormorant CR-600
    Buckeye BC-2
    Arc 800 (this thing is a beauty!!)
    Huky 500g (the classic home propane roaster)
    Quest M6 (I love my questm3s, it's a great machine - and I would sell it to a mag for next to nothing)
    Mill City MCR500 (easily the gold standard in this class, but fucking expensive)
    Sniper m10 (looks cool but don't know anyone with it - I think there's a thread on h-b about them though)

Definitely keep the Bullet on there; it's an amazing roaster and worthy of consideration. In many ways it is more advanced than any of the roasters I listed (at an extremely competitive price point), but it's just...different. Would not rule it out at all - I guess, in a lot of ways, it represents the terminus of the "home roaster" progression, whereas a small gas roaster is more like the beginning of the "Do I want to open up a roastery?" path.

Sounds like the Bullet is the pick as I’m not flirting with a “real” roaster or quitting my day job. And I don’t have too much time to geek out on roast profiles and the convenience of the bullet profiles is nice.

Any rules of thumb for grind adjustments you make for certain coffees or roasts or do you just go by taste.

E.g. just went from a medium roasted blend to a light roasted single origin Central American bean and I’m kind of lost

I think my fairly unsophisticated palate sometimes has trouble distinguishing sour from bitter - by the time I make a few grind adjustments in the wrong direction and then correct the other way half the damn bag is gone and I’m hopped up on merely OK espresso.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Any rules of thumb for grind adjustments you make for certain coffees or roasts or do you just go by taste.

E.g. just went from a medium roasted blend to a light roasted single origin Central American bean and I’m kind of lost

I think my fairly unsophisticated palate sometimes has trouble distinguishing sour from bitter - by the time I make a few grind adjustments in the wrong direction and then correct the other way half the damn bag is gone and I’m hopped up on merely OK espresso.
    Ha, how much time do you have to talk about it? A shot can be both bitter AND sour (simultaneously under and overextracted), so it's complicated. Get your machine "in range" by ensuring that an 18g shot takes 27-38seconds to get to 32-40 grams from the type the pump is turned on. Look carefully at the top of the shot, when you see the crema right where the stream of espresso enters it turning blond, kill the pump. That's your "do not pass go" sign. Generally lighter roasts produce less fines and need to be ground finer. Older coffee also needs to be ground finer. Following timing, weight, and blonding to dial in quicker. It should take you 2-3 shots to grind in a bag at most.

Also there's an espresso thread, jong

new roaster day (with my old roaster for scale)

we're in it now, boys

Holy shit! What's the capacity of that thing?! It almost looks like it would run off of 220V too!

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Holy shit! What's the capacity of that thing?! It almost looks like it would run off of 220V too!
    It's 220, yeah. That and propane.

It's capable of doing 3lbs at once, so it's really not a huge roaster - the smaller guy does 7oz at a time, for reference.

Pretty stoked to get this thing all hooked up. Now I'm just waiting on Neufox to get his Bullet and we'll have a maggot roast party.

You're gonna need a bigger extinguisher.

Are you running that inside? How do you deal with exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You're gonna need a bigger extinguisher.

Are you running that inside? How do you deal with exhaust?
    There were about two whole boxes of exhaust ducting and fans that came with it, so the next project will be getting all of that set up properly. Running it in an insulated garage with a window I can turn into a vent.

That’s not a roaster - it’s a space station!