Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Cool yeah, so like classic old world espresso?

I would try a few of these:

https://www.cimarronroasters.com/col...cts/courthouse

https://paradiseroasters.com/product...plan=454459497

https://paradiseroasters.com/collect...plan=454688873

Hard for me to guess but if you wanted something "expansive" in terms of tasting somewhat like what you're used to while still being novel and new, the first two options will likely be the best bet. The third is too similar to what you already drink.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Fantastic, thanks! I’ll give em a ride and report back.
    I still call it The Jake.

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Fantastic, thanks! I’ll give em a ride and report back.
    There have gotta be a dozen roasters in ATL. Find one that you like and taste what they have to offer.

I also recently did MistoBox. Their flavor notes are typically pretty consistent. Roast level is pretty open to interpretation, but the range was good for figuring out what I really like. Ultimately, it made me realize that the medium roast Ethiopian from one of our locals is as good as anything else I tried, so I went back to that. Local roaster FTW.

Also, also, huge thanks to tgapp for the shipment. It was delicious!
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Finally, a Kenyan that didn’t crash 🤞

Kirinyaga Kainamui Peaberry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kenya kirinyaga kainamui pb.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	427428

Ok mags, I'm jumping onto the coffee train. I had some at a 4B's while studying in college in the 80s and couldn't stand it. Might have tried it a few times after that, but was a morning pop drinker for 30yrs. I found hot tea about 10yrs ago and that was good (but not a daily habit). I have always liked the smell and ritual of coffee making and figured that if I could find the right blend that I'd probably like it. I almost posted in this thread a year ago asking if coffee sample boards existed (like in breweries).

Jump ahead to this past month and a trip to Italy. I wanted to embrace the culture and knew that would include coffee. Best coffee that I experienced was the first cup (on a TrenItalia train north from Rome). I don't think it was an espresso, although small in size it wasn't like any espressos that I later tried on the trip. I had cappuccino (just ok), espresso (too strong in the little package), lots of americanos (up and down, seemed to rely on bean and method of creation?) and a coffee/hot choc mix (a nicely sweet diversion).

I found that I like coffee mostly black and just add a small amount of sugar. I also seem to like the stronger blends.

So I'm now heading down the rabbit hole of beans, blends and machines. I probably need to figure out the first two before I jump into a decent machine.

Where do I start? What advice do you have?

Photo of TrenItalia coffee

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Ok mags, I'm jumping onto the coffee train. I had some at a 4B's while studying in college in the 80s and couldn't stand it. Might have tried it a few times after that, but was a morning pop drinker for 30yrs. I found hot tea about 10yrs ago and that was good (but not a daily habit). I have always liked the smell and ritual of coffee making and figured that if I could find the right blend that I'd probably like it. I almost posted in this thread a year ago asking if coffee sample boards existed (like in breweries).

Jump ahead to this past month and a trip to Italy. I wanted to embrace the culture and knew that would include coffee. Best coffee that I experienced was the first cup (on a TrenItalia train north from Rome). I don't think it was an espresso, although small in size it wasn't like any espressos that I later tried on the trip. I had cappuccino (just ok), espresso (too strong in the little package), lots of americanos (up and down, seemed to rely on bean and method of creation?) and a coffee/hot choc mix (a nicely sweet diversion).

I found that I like coffee mostly black and just add a small amount of sugar. I also seem to like the stronger blends.

So I'm now heading down the rabbit hole of beans, blends and machines. I probably need to figure out the first two before I jump into a decent machine.

Hell yeah!

Start simple, with a basic hand grinder and a French press or other easy brewing method. If that sticks, consider an espresso machine or something fancier. This is an amazing grinder to start with.

https://a.co/d/68ZoNdp

Get a cheap scale along with your French press. Measure everything.

Find a local roaster whose work you like, and follow a recipe religiously. I like this one for French press:

https://sevencoffeeroasters.com/blog...n-french-press

Good luck!

Beans are your most important step (duh). Buy freshly roasted beans from a quality roaster and aim to use within 1-2 weeks of roast date for French Press. Grind just before each brew. A tip to tgapp’s advice use a kitchen scale and be consistent on grind volume to be able to replicate your desired outcome once achieved. Getting a digital kettle may help too as temperature is likely to play a factor but I am no French press expert. I am more here to say don’t short yourself on the bean. It blows my mind when someone talks about how much they love coffee and they just buy ground beans at their local grocer.
    Uno mas

Along with French Press, a V60 decanter and/or and Aeropress can give you different sorts of brews. The V60 and Aeropress are both industry standards and ~$30.

If your preference is for dark blends and more full bodied mouthfeel -- tgapp's French Press recommendation is the go to. Aeropress filters out a little bit more oil/body but is a similar immersion brew. V60 is a "cleaner" cup that will give more acids/fruits and fewer chocolate/caramel notes.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Aeropress filters out a little bit more oil/body but is a similar immersion brew.
    There are stainless filters for Aeropress that don't absorb the oils. But, while I used to be a huge Aeropress fanboi I can't bring myself to brew in plastic daily since reading Count Down.

French press makes a tasty cup of coffee, but I find that waiting 4-5 mins after boil makes coffee a bit to tepid for my taste. I usually like my coffee one of four ways: old school percolated; old school espresso per.; individual drip direct from boil; and/or new wave commercial/home brew-type espresso machine. Honorable mention to the "Clover" method of up side down French press.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Re ordered a nice variety of green beans today as i am down to less than 1lb for my blends.
    watch out for snakes

Opps, accidentally ordered some Peru decaf.

Did a ultra dark roast on it.

Not bad, just a bit of cream and sugar. 2nd cup gave it a small dipper of cocoa powder. Yummy.

I can get to liking this.
    watch out for snakes

Dayum

This decaf stuff is a game changer. Starting to look at other coffees as well as the fresh roast 800 machine to up my game.
    watch out for snakes

Finally bought the bullet and bought the Bullet R1. First roast after seasoning and still at the required max drum speed.

Name:	IMG_4962.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	440060

Name:	IMG_4963.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	440061

I welcome any comments on the roast.

Also the weight loss is a bit of a guess. I accidentally vacuumed off some beans.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Looks like a nice setup.

What's the yellow line?

Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post

About 20 years ago I found an old La Pavoni lever espresso maker in the garbage behind my home. This new machine got me looking into coffee a little deeper.

I am no coffee pro, but I did learn a few simple things during this time. One is that coffee is mostly water and the water you use will affect the taste. Use clean, filtered water (ph is also important).

Another thing I learned is the importance of cleanliness of your coffee making device. Coffee oil becomes rancid and will alter the taste of your coffee if it is not cleaned off.

Cleaning your machine is important, but just as important is how you clean. Soap can be detrimental to good coffee as any soap residue will break down the coffee oils and crema will be affected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD1C9893-EC99-47D0-82D0-084EA2D320A9.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	601.3 KB 
ID:	440079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6CB409CA-A495-4249-B02F-2F59518860A5.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	688.4 KB 
ID:	440080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB41DC45-778F-44E5-8C0E-C893D490C191.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	627.5 KB 
ID:	440081  
    All conditions, all terrain.
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)

Latte art envy
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Looks like a nice setup.

What's the yellow line?
    The bullets IBTS (infrared bean temp sensor) ROR. It’s supposed to be more accurate real time than the bean probe temp.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Finally bought the bullet and bought the Bullet R1. First roast after seasoning and still at the required max drum speed.

Name:	IMG_4962.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	440060

Name:	IMG_4963.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	440061
    The bullets IBTS (infrared bean temp sensor) ROR. It’s supposed to be more accurate real time than the bean probe temp.
    Interesting that they seem to diverge after dry end then converge around the drop.

I assume this is the BT measuring the steam release from the beans as they roll into FC and reacting to changes in fan speed, while the IR probe only measures the emissivity of the beans and remains more or less unaffected.

Do you have any idea what the kick is on the IR RoR just before you dropped the batch?

I think that is from increasing to fan 6, which should effect the probe more than the IR.

I learned on a La Pavoni lever, still have it as a backup.

I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that just yesterday I set up a smart plug to turn my machine on before I wake. Total game changer this morning. So dumb I didn’t do it earlier.

I’ve roasted in dog bowls and popcorn poppers, but never used a real home roaster. Looks fun. I’ll keep popping in (pardon the pun) and try and catch up.

If anyone wants a Gene cafe roaster let me know. It works but it’s exhaust temperature reading isn’t really accurate once it gets hot. The internet says it’s fixable.

Fuck yeah dude!! Stoked to hear how you like it. Roast looks good generally, but so much is machine specific and I'm not very good at reading Bullet curves. Looks like a city+ Omni roast kinda deal? How's it taste?

Lowagriz - great stuff. From reading this thread got some great insight. I got a Rancilio Silvia and matching grinder - not crazy expensive, tons on the inter webs for parts, so if an issue hopefully I can fix on my own. Not the super nice double boilers but does make a nice shot. Upped my game for sure.

On recommendation here - the best thing I did was buy a Behmor 2000 basic drum coffee bean roaster. A game changer with roasting your own beans - I get from Sweet Maria's online. Been dabbling in a few of the Ethiopian beans and some of their in-house blends for espresso. It is about $7 / lb to get on there. Having a blast making fresh. Give beans away too - friends like them quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    I learned on a La Pavoni lever, still have it as a backup.
    This is a great machine to learn on. All the variables are dependant on the operator.

It’s also good to have a goal to shot for. When I found this machine I started researching coffee and espresso but I also started to order espresso from a bunch of cafés around town and when I travelled. I had many a bitter start, sour finish, but I found if it was quiet and I ordered a straight espresso that would bring out the senior barista and I would get a good shot.

There is a huge difference between a standard espresso shot and a really good one, and I will always remember the day when it all came together for me and I pulled my first great shot that was thick and rich and tasted of chocolate and nuts with no sour finish.

Good luck with your coffee goals!
    All conditions, all terrain.
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)

☆☆☆Spam/psa☆☆☆
    Peet's 2022 Holiday Blend. 30%off this week, until 1/3.
    Free shipping once you go over a certain amount.
    ORIGIN: Panama, Kenya, Guatemala, and Sumatra.
    PROCESS: Washed and wet hulled.
    Dark Roast. Great in a french press.
    (Please excuse interruption)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...