Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Haha, kinda sig worthy ......... strictly in the world of this thread and the pure hipster world.

Yea, I pretty much posted because I'm a bored, under achieving, serial narcissist and wanted to share my meager journey with a captive audience. I'm having fun and have definitely taken a wild unanticipated turn in coffee.
    try putting a little bit of salt in your v60. just a pinch.

no seriously. try it with any of your citrus cocktails too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

PSA - DeLonghi Ariete 3017 Conical Burr Electric Coffee Grinder - $60

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/delo...=mwj_cd_deal_8

bump for beans.
    this morning I pulled a bonehead move. Packed the espresso moka pot and forgot to put water in. making eggs and roasting a bagel and watching it smoke but not steam.
    FUCK !
    the coffee was burnt and smelled like over cooked microwave popcorn. Not sure if the gasket melted too bad but the plastic knob on the top lid got hot enough, the screw fell in.
    Gonna give it a test ride later. No big deal. It was a cheap one and I have a backup, but damn, that was stupid.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    bump for beans.
    this morning I pulled a bonehead move. Packed the espresso moka pot and forgot to put water in. making eggs and roasting a bagel and watching it smoke but not steam.
    FUCK !
    the coffee was burnt and smelled like over cooked microwave popcorn. Not sure if the gasket melted too bad but the plastic knob on the top lid got hot enough, the screw fell in.
    Gonna give it a test ride later. No big deal. It was a cheap one and I have a backup, but damn, that was stupid.
    vibes man

I've pulled more than one espresso shot with the blank basket in - it basically keeps water from going out and you can't put coffee in it. After 45 seconds with no coffee coming out I look under, see I'm doing nothing at all, look over my shoulder to make sure no one saw, and then make real coffee after

sometimes my pre-caffeine brain isn't very good at taking the necessary steps to become a post-caffeine brain

*I like my women, like I like my coffee - with a complicated background story*
    or summat like that.
    (Epic Beard Men)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by me058e View Post
    Share with all forum members about io games features.

Game io games with attractive features in each game that are regularly updated. Interaction with all other players around the world is appreciated in io games.
    This bot is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    This bot is broken.
    Poor thing. Probably farked up his morning brew routine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    vibes man

I've pulled more than one espresso shot with the blank basket in - it basically keeps water from going out and you can't put coffee in it. After 45 seconds with no coffee coming out I look under, see I'm doing nothing at all, look over my shoulder to make sure no one saw, and then make real coffee after

sometimes my pre-caffeine brain isn't very good at taking the necessary steps to become a post-caffeine brain

no harm, no foul. pot still works.I should know not to make a moka pot in a hurry of multi tasking rushing a breffast. If you don't stand over a pot until it's bubbling, you know something fucked up will happen
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Coffee arrived.

About to brew some up for my 93 y/o Mom. She is super excited about tasting it. At her age, it does not take much to get her excited.

THANKS !

UPDATE: She loves it ! (and so do I)

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Harry; 05-05-2021 at 08:41 AM.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Coffee arrived.

About to brew some up for my 93 y/o Mom. She is super excited about tasting it. At her age, it does not take much to get her excited.

THANKS !

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    rad man!

that coffee is a classic high-elevation kenyan washed - it's grown pretty much on the slopes of mount kenya, and it's made of two varieties of arabica, SL28 and SL34. the growers their are among the best in the world, and their processing method (how they get the cherry off the seed) is top notch; the resulting coffee is bright, juicy, and tastes like cranberry/orange zest/seven up/apple.

i like it because it's very acidic but still super sweet and pleasant to drink

So
    Much
    Stoke

However many are in a shit ton.

Since I’ve been roasting I’ve become a big fan of several Sumatra’s. Roasting them to city + is a game changer over the typical dark roasts we typically see. Working on #5 of a really nice pea berry.

The Gene Cafe isn’t a bad roaster. Works well and is fairly repeatable but don’t follow the directions. I preheat the machine for about 5 minutes, then do an emergency stop, load the beans ASAP, then run it up to 482, dropping the temperature around 6-7 minutes down to 460. I think I’ll be upgrading to a Bullet next year to increase batch size, better control, consistency and get way better data. I figure that with the savings from 2 years of use it will almost pay for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Since I’ve been roasting I’ve become a big fan of several Sumatra’s. Roasting them to city + is a game changer over the typical dark roasts we typically see. Working on #5 of a really nice pea berry.

The Gene Cafe isn’t a bad roaster. Works well and is fairly repeatable but don’t follow the directions. I preheat the machine for about 5 minutes, then do an emergency stop, load the beans ASAP, then run it up to 482, dropping the temperature around 6-7 minutes down to 460. I think I’ll be upgrading to a Bullet next year to increase batch size, better control, consistency and get way better data. I figure that with the savings from 2 years of use it will almost pay for itself.

nice man!! yeah, i'm also going to upgrade to a bullet sooner rather than later. it's the only way.

i also really like sumatra/java coffees (really, anything wet hulled) around that same roast range... for me, i take it to like a C++ (two to two and a half minutes after first crack start, give or take). they're good on their own as pourover, but they really come into their own as a component in an espresso blend (like 30% sumatran, 60% dry processed ethiopian, 10% columbian/kenyan) - it just adds such body and mouthfeel to the shot. so syrupy and rich.

today i'm drinking this:

https://www.roastmasters.com/ecuador-zuniga.html

i'll be sad when i kill this bag. it's so tasty.

Just got #5 of Columbian Gesha, (amongst other more pedestrian beans). Can’t wait to try some of this.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Just got #5 of Columbian Gesha, (amongst other more pedestrian beans). Can’t wait to try some of this.

Nice.

Once first crack starts give it like 30-45seconds and then drop it. Drop sooner than you think you should.

Just recalled this thread from a bookmark I saved long ago...sick stuff tgapp, how do you have time for all this and skiing?!

Btw, what's your espresso machine & grinder setup?

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Just recalled this thread from a bookmark I saved long ago...sick stuff tgapp, how do you have time for all this and skiing?!
    My theory is that he is just a dude that is obsessed with whiskey, coffee and gardening who pays mall walker and other UT mags for ski photos so he feels like a skier! He obviously can't have time to ski with these other hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post

Btw, what's your espresso machine & grinder setup?
    for espresso, lelit bianca and a niche zero

for pourover, i run an orphan espresso apex and a $8 plastic v60

for travel, i have a flair & a madebyknock feldgrind

who am i kidding, i can't afford to travel, but i do hoard coffee travel equipment

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    My theory is that he is just a dude that is obsessed with whiskey, coffee and gardening who pays mall walker and other UT mags for ski photos so he feels like a skier! He obviously can't have time to ski with these other hobbies.
    i don't ski i just like to pretend i ski online

nowadays i like to walk my bike up steep hills only to walk it back down again at the top

Welcome to TGR. Pull up an armchair and sit right down. You’ve found a home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to upgrade my travel coffee hand grinder. Currently have a Hario Coffee Mill and it does a fine job, but it is slow as fuck. My travel coffee setup is an aeropress and grinder, so I don’t even really need it to be espresso capable, just able to give me an aeropress fine grind quickly. Grinding beans for 3-4 minutes while trying to get out of my hotel room for whatever meeting I’m going to isn’t convenient. Any suggestions ?

I use this daily at home and it also comes camping

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/o...spresso/lido-3

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I use this daily at home and it also comes camping

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/o...spresso/lido-3
    +100 on Lido quality. I owned one for years and absolutely loved it. My current pour over hand grinder isn't suitable for travel, but it's made by the folks who make the Lido (Orphan Espresso) and I absolutely love it.

5 years ago there wasn't much on the market, but now there's a whole host of extremely high quality travel grinders. Check out Lido, madebyknock, Comandante, and Kinu for starters. All of them kick ass, and if you want to improve the quality of your coffee, spend money on your grinder.

Also the Hario coffee mill sucks. Grind quality is great for the price but both the speed and the hand ergonomics are on par with OG nintendo NES. You'll be blown away how much faster/easier to use any of the above grinders are.

The hand grinder recommended earlier on from Rhino is probably too cheap at under $40 on Amazon, but the Aeropress's plunger is a perfect fit replacement for its grind cup. So if you want a slightly more compact travel option, leave the cup at home and let the plunger become dual function. Or so I think; I'll probably try it tomorrow.

So far my only complaint is that I wish the handle was about a half inch or so shorter for quicker turning. But the hex the handle drives does fit right into a drill or impact wrench, so that might turn me lazy at home.

https://rhinocoffeegear.com/rhino-co...d-grinder.html

Any thoughts on the 1zpresso? Q2 looks like the right size for travel.