Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 426 to 450 of 487
  1. #426
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,395
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Any tips for roasting the washed and natural Kayon Mountain gujis?

    Did another batch of Kenya AA and I think I avoided baking it. Will try it in a few days. I definitely picked up / recognized what baked tastes like after you mentioned it. Kept the heat high as first crack approached and pulled it after just under a minute.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Ethiopian coffee is the easiest to roast. It's very well behaved in the drum, responds well to a variety of heat levels, and is super predictable.

    Ethiopian washed coffees are what you should practice before doing Gesha, and then take off 15 to 30 seconds post first crack and use that as a starting point for Gesha.

    For Ethiopian naturals, you can go anywhere up til the start of second crack - I like them most with 1:30-1:45 of development time, they end up being so sweet. Lots of airflow during the roast is helpful with naturals, and make sure they don't race (your drum temp should go up increasingly slowly - what roasters call a consistently declining rate of rise). That Kayon Mountain natural is one of my favorite espresso components, especially when left in the roaster for a good long while after 1cs.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  2. #427
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    9,160
    Really liking the Kayon Mountain, both are good but I’m partial to the natural. Also liking this AA.

    I ended up getting the Timemore g1 grinder. Definitely an improvement in grind quality compared to my electric grinder used for pour overs. Very smooth and solid feeling. Small enough for travel.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #428
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,122
    Check out tgapp getting like half a step from turning pro--the bags look like they need some kind of Kinco-style art project label and it'll be time to start slacking the day job.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210625_214743.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	810.2 KB 
ID:	377967

    Any particular advice on brewing these (V60 or Aeropress)? Any more time needed first for either? Great smell from the mailbox to the kitchen: I can't place the Ethiopian, but the Catui smells like strawberry/chocolate/coffee right through the bag. Thanks again!
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

  4. #429
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,395
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Check out tgapp getting like half a step from turning pro--the bags look like they need some kind of Kinco-style art project label and it'll be time to start slacking the day job.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210625_214743.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	810.2 KB 
ID:	377967

    Any particular advice on brewing these (V60 or Aeropress)? Any more time needed first for either? Great smell from the mailbox to the kitchen: I can't place the Ethiopian, but the Catui smells like strawberry/chocolate/coffee right through the bag. Thanks again!
    the Ethiopian smells like crayons or Play-Doh

    they both should be good to go right now, you can brew them however and they should do great. i like naturals on aeropress a lot, but they're great on v60 too

    next I just need to license FKNA from splat and get a stamp. FKNA coffee sounds great.

    thanks for the mountain khakis!!



    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  5. #430
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,122
    I guess I'll be trying them every way, now that I think about it. Started with Catui on the V60 so as to taste it mid-brew, but tomorrow I'll try the Aeropress.

    That stuff is So good! My wife is one of those coffee as a spice with her vanilla creamer people, but today's cup made significant progress in the ongoing palette battle. Now she wants to get on your subscription service when you launch, but I think we'd probably have to pay in dollars--hard to keep up the coffee habit with just unicorn pants!

    Speaking of battles, the crema porn in the "58" videos from that other thread might just win one of these days. Resisting...for now....

  6. #431
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Watching over the valley
    Posts
    3,792
    More like, Coffee, FKNA!
    How can I get some good coffee to try?


    sent from Utah.
    sigless.

  7. #432
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8,050
    Tgapp’s coffee is the shit.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  8. #433
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,122
    It's hot. So this seems like an appropriate place to ask: any tips for cold brew? Favorite methods?

  9. #434
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,395
    sorry on mobile and I can't do a multi-quote reply

    thanks for the compliments guys but honestly it all comes down to sourcing. good greens = good coffee, just don't fuck it up by burning it. in the case of that Panama coffee, the Elida estate has won pretty much every award there is for coffee (cup of excellence, etc), and their processing is impeccable. they're best known for their Gesha but their Catui is grown to the same standard.

    @basinbeater - I'm out of town but I'll be back on Monday and I can drop a bag off.

    @jono - for cold brew I like what's called japanese flash cold brewing. to do that, figure out what your normal coffee ratio is (say, 23 grams of coffee for a total of 360g of water added) and then divide your water between ice and water at around a 50% ratio. so you'd take like 180g of ice and add it to your mug or brewing vessel or whatever and then do your pour over (also works with aeropress) but only add 180g of water to the pourover. does that make sense?

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  10. #435
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Watching over the valley
    Posts
    3,792
    Sweet! My schedule Monday atm is remarkably open. I'm here all day. You can check out the sound system if you want as well.

    sent from Utah.
    sigless.

  11. #436
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    3,547
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    It's hot. So this seems like an appropriate place to ask: any tips for cold brew? Favorite methods?
    French press cold brewer here. I like an 8:1 ratio that I dilute to taste (1.5 or 2:1) when I pour into the glass.

    I prefer medium-dark roasts and more of a medium grind for cold brew.

    Mix grinds in with water in the french press, stirring after about an hour to release CO2 and break up the crust on the top of the carafe, let sit for about 12 hours. I like to scoop off any grinds floating on top in the morning and then pour off the liquid without plunging all the way. If you need a perfectly clean cup, filter thought cloth or paper filter before storing it in the fridge.


    I'm also a big fan of Aeropress over ice. Normally, I use the same ratios for my brew with a longer steep when pressing over ice.

  12. #437
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,122
    Thanks for the fridge option, jackattack, we did that once this week. I haven't had the unmitigated balls to experiment with tgapp's magic beans quite that much yet, but it helped with the heat.

  13. #438
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    9,160
    Roasted some Ethiopian Tesfaye Doni to full city last week. Really linking the chocolate and woody flavors it has. The berry is super feint now but tasty nonetheless.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  14. #439
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    9,160
    Yo Tgapp, I Finally got around to roasting the double anaerobic you gave me. I pulled it a bit too early but man that’s a good bean! Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #440
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,395
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Yo Tgapp, I Finally got around to roasting the double anaerobic you gave me. I pulled it a bit too early but man that’s a good bean! Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    nice, yeah, i like coffees like that because it feels so satisfying to get 'em right. tastes like pink lemonade to me.

    i'm in the market for some good naturals, have you seen any pop up neufox??

  16. #441
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Treading Water
    Posts
    5,546

    coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

    What about black coffee sitting around and reheating? Shelf life? Fridge life?
    I mean, the basic principles of cold brew go against any idea that coffee goes bad very quickly, right?

    Personally, I brew 3 cups in the morning. #1 in the commuting mug. #2 in the sip through to mid day mug. #3 in a vacuum thermos that goes into the afternoon and ideally gets me through evening commute. There is occasional microwaving. Seems to hold up well.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lots of Cream, Lots of Sugar

  17. #442
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    9,160
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    nice, yeah, i like coffees like that because it feels so satisfying to get 'em right. tastes like pink lemonade to me.

    i'm in the market for some good naturals, have you seen any pop up neufox??
    I’ve bought a bunch recently but have been working through old stock mostly.

    You entering Bodhi’s home roasting competition?

    “Purchase Ethiopia Banko Gotiti Natural and use code : BANKO to receive 20% off! In addition to saving some dough, we are gonna toss in a FREE Bad Tiger holographic sticker & a competition mailer if you're ready to put your stuff to the test (example displayed above)!

    Slip your Bodhi Buds a sample of your masterpiece by OCTOBER 15th to participate in this quarter's home roasting competition!

    You are welcome to use any stove top roaster or home roaster for this competition.

    All we need is ~ 4 oz of your roast for grading / sampling. You are welcome to simply fill the small bag we will include with your green coffee shipment. One entry allowed per person.”

  18. #443
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Carbondale
    Posts
    11,313
    That wush wush is excellent… my buddy roasted some


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

  19. #444
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,395
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’ve bought a bunch recently but have been working through old stock mostly.

    You entering Bodhi’s home roasting competition?

    “Purchase Ethiopia Banko Gotiti Natural and use code : BANKO to receive 20% off! In addition to saving some dough, we are gonna toss in a FREE Bad Tiger holographic sticker & a competition mailer if you're ready to put your stuff to the test (example displayed above)!

    Slip your Bodhi Buds a sample of your masterpiece by OCTOBER 15th to participate in this quarter's home roasting competition!

    You are welcome to use any stove top roaster or home roaster for this competition.

    All we need is ~ 4 oz of your roast for grading / sampling. You are welcome to simply fill the small bag we will include with your green coffee shipment. One entry allowed per person.”
    damn, thanks for the heads up. Banko has always produced excellent coffee, I'm stoked to try this one out. I'll definitely order some - the home roasters competition is just a bonus.

    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    That wush wush is excellent… my buddy roasted some


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    yeah, wush wush is cool. i've been sending it to mags who need coffee lately. they might not share my enthusiasm for coffee that tastes like laffy taffy though.

  20. #445
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,122
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    yeah, wush wush is cool. i've been sending it to mags who need coffee lately. they might not share my enthusiasm for coffee that tastes like laffy taffy though.
    I liked it. Tweaked my tastes a little bit and now I can't put anything "dark" in my mouth without tasting ashes. I regard this as a terrific improvement.

  21. #446
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    2 hours from anything
    Posts
    9,160
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I liked it. Tweaked my tastes a little bit and now I can't put anything "dark" in my mouth without tasting ashes. I regard this as a terrific improvement.
    My father-in law got into roasting and frankly, he’s pretty terrible. Has a Gene, sets a timer and lets it run from cold to cool down. Every roast is at least somewhat baked. However, even he and the MIL now think most consumer coffee tastes burnt.

  22. #447
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    11,476
    Coffee arrived, FKNA !

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1632324593.807874.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	386226


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  23. #448
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    11,476

    coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

    94 y/o Mom loving the cup of Ethiopian Wush Wush I made her. No pic because she is still in her robe & slippers, but here is the view from her deck where we are drinking the coffee.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1632329157.484180.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	386232


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

  24. #449
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Watching over the valley
    Posts
    3,792
    Tgapps wush is delish. Mine is gone. 😢
    Good stuff tgapp

  25. #450
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    2,395
    woo! glad those arrived. hope you and your mom enjoy, Harry!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •