Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Cool yeah, so like classic old world espresso?

I would try a few of these:

https://www.cimarronroasters.com/col...cts/courthouse

https://paradiseroasters.com/product...plan=454459497

https://paradiseroasters.com/collect...plan=454688873

Hard for me to guess but if you wanted something "expansive" in terms of tasting somewhat like what you're used to while still being novel and new, the first two options will likely be the best bet. The third is too similar to what you already drink.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Fantastic, thanks! I’ll give em a ride and report back.
    I still call it The Jake.

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Fantastic, thanks! Iíll give em a ride and report back.
    There have gotta be a dozen roasters in ATL. Find one that you like and taste what they have to offer.

I also recently did MistoBox. Their flavor notes are typically pretty consistent. Roast level is pretty open to interpretation, but the range was good for figuring out what I really like. Ultimately, it made me realize that the medium roast Ethiopian from one of our locals is as good as anything else I tried, so I went back to that. Local roaster FTW.

Also, also, huge thanks to tgapp for the shipment. It was delicious!
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Finally, a Kenyan that didnít crash 🤞

Kirinyaga Kainamui Peaberry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kenya kirinyaga kainamui pb.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	427428

Ok mags, I'm jumping onto the coffee train. I had some at a 4B's while studying in college in the 80s and couldn't stand it. Might have tried it a few times after that, but was a morning pop drinker for 30yrs. I found hot tea about 10yrs ago and that was good (but not a daily habit). I have always liked the smell and ritual of coffee making and figured that if I could find the right blend that I'd probably like it. I almost posted in this thread a year ago asking if coffee sample boards existed (like in breweries).

Jump ahead to this past month and a trip to Italy. I wanted to embrace the culture and knew that would include coffee. Best coffee that I experienced was the first cup (on a TrenItalia train north from Rome). I don't think it was an espresso, although small in size it wasn't like any espressos that I later tried on the trip. I had cappuccino (just ok), espresso (too strong in the little package), lots of americanos (up and down, seemed to rely on bean and method of creation?) and a coffee/hot choc mix (a nicely sweet diversion).

I found that I like coffee mostly black and just add a small amount of sugar. I also seem to like the stronger blends.

So I'm now heading down the rabbit hole of beans, blends and machines. I probably need to figure out the first two before I jump into a decent machine.

Where do I start? What advice do you have?

Photo of TrenItalia coffee

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Ok mags, I'm jumping onto the coffee train. I had some at a 4B's while studying in college in the 80s and couldn't stand it. Might have tried it a few times after that, but was a morning pop drinker for 30yrs. I found hot tea about 10yrs ago and that was good (but not a daily habit). I have always liked the smell and ritual of coffee making and figured that if I could find the right blend that I'd probably like it. I almost posted in this thread a year ago asking if coffee sample boards existed (like in breweries).

Jump ahead to this past month and a trip to Italy. I wanted to embrace the culture and knew that would include coffee. Best coffee that I experienced was the first cup (on a TrenItalia train north from Rome). I don't think it was an espresso, although small in size it wasn't like any espressos that I later tried on the trip. I had cappuccino (just ok), espresso (too strong in the little package), lots of americanos (up and down, seemed to rely on bean and method of creation?) and a coffee/hot choc mix (a nicely sweet diversion).

I found that I like coffee mostly black and just add a small amount of sugar. I also seem to like the stronger blends.

So I'm now heading down the rabbit hole of beans, blends and machines. I probably need to figure out the first two before I jump into a decent machine.

Where do I start? What advice do you have?

Photo of TrenItalia coffee

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Hell yeah!

Start simple, with a basic hand grinder and a French press or other easy brewing method. If that sticks, consider an espresso machine or something fancier. This is an amazing grinder to start with.

https://a.co/d/68ZoNdp

Get a cheap scale along with your French press. Measure everything.

Find a local roaster whose work you like, and follow a recipe religiously. I like this one for French press:

https://sevencoffeeroasters.com/blog...n-french-press

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Beans are your most important step (duh). Buy freshly roasted beans from a quality roaster and aim to use within 1-2 weeks of roast date for French Press. Grind just before each brew. A tip to tgappís advice use a kitchen scale and be consistent on grind volume to be able to replicate your desired outcome once achieved. Getting a digital kettle may help too as temperature is likely to play a factor but I am no French press expert. I am more here to say donít short yourself on the bean. It blows my mind when someone talks about how much they love coffee and they just buy ground beans at their local grocer.
    Uno mas

Along with French Press, a V60 decanter and/or and Aeropress can give you different sorts of brews. The V60 and Aeropress are both industry standards and ~$30.

If your preference is for dark blends and more full bodied mouthfeel -- tgapp's French Press recommendation is the go to. Aeropress filters out a little bit more oil/body but is a similar immersion brew. V60 is a "cleaner" cup that will give more acids/fruits and fewer chocolate/caramel notes.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Aeropress filters out a little bit more oil/body but is a similar immersion brew.
    There are stainless filters for Aeropress that don't absorb the oils. But, while I used to be a huge Aeropress fanboi I can't bring myself to brew in plastic daily since reading Count Down.

French press makes a tasty cup of coffee, but I find that waiting 4-5 mins after boil makes coffee a bit to tepid for my taste. I usually like my coffee one of four ways: old school percolated; old school espresso per.; individual drip direct from boil; and/or new wave commercial/home brew-type espresso machine. Honorable mention to the "Clover" method of up side down French press.
    ďHow does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I donít know, go ask Rory GallagherĒ. ó Jimi Hendrix

Re ordered a nice variety of green beans today as i am down to less than 1lb for my blends.
    watch out for snakes

Opps, accidentally ordered some Peru decaf.

Did a ultra dark roast on it.

Not bad, just a bit of cream and sugar. 2nd cup gave it a small dipper of cocoa powder. Yummy.

I can get to liking this.
    watch out for snakes

Dayum

This decaf stuff is a game changer. Starting to look at other coffees as well as the fresh roast 800 machine to up my game.
    watch out for snakes