Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    @tgapp's beans rule!
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I wasn't gonna say it but yeah... it's cute that Peet's is aware of first crack, at least

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    Seriously, I’m always confused by the Peet’s love. Everything I’ve ever had from them they scorch. Even Starbucks has better light roasts than Peet’s from my experience.

thanks! so you can roast on something as basic as a modified popcorn popper, but that's pretty shitty. for real roasters, most start in the $300 range. here is a good little guy for $260:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/fresh-roast-sr800.html

here is a great step up for $450:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/behmor-2...s-roaster.html

and finally, here is the king of home roasters - this will be my next upgrade:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting...1-roaster.html

the economics work out though; if you spend $400 on a roaster and save $10 a bag, buying one bag a week, the thing pays for itself in about a year.
    The Behmor 2000ab says it’s best for City to City+ roasts, is there anything still in the <$1k market that will do a good light roast? Or do I need to get a mortgage for the Bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    My wife is the polar opposite of a coffee snob and after trying the Ethiopian Sidamo she is a convert. "If he sold this I would buy it, rather than the crap from the local roaster." Nice work TGapp! Time to start exploring some options on getting some nicer coffee around here I think.
    Have you tried the Sumatra from blue star?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    The Behmor 2000ab says it’s best for City to City+ roasts, is there anything still in the <$1k market that will do a good light roast? Or do I need to get a mortgage for the Bullet?
    the behmor is really good at doing city+ coffee. it struggles with true city coffee because it's hard to end a roast (no automatic dumping like with a standard drum roaster). i know people who do city coffee on a behmor, but you have to get really good at timing. plus, good city+ coffee is what 95% of people would consider "light", or what most roasters call "light medium"

beyond that.. no. hottops are expensive, as are quests and other machines. if i buy a bullet i'd sell my m3s, and i'd let it go for stupid fucking cheap to a mag, but i'm not sure if i want a bullet yet. so pricey.

Tgapp,
    Where are you looking to get your Aillio? Sweet Maria's or direct? I've been looking at them for the past couple of years but have not pulled the trigger. One, because I'm new to roasting and wasn't sure if that would be feeding a passion too much to make it obsession. Stove top and hot air roasted seemed to have two small of capacity to make roasting worth the time. Two, Sweet Maria's always seems to be back-ordered on the machine. I didn't know if the machine really existed. Are there other roasters besides the Aillio you would look at?

Quote Originally Posted by PowderAlltheTime View Post
    Tgapp,
    Where are you looking to get your Aillio? Sweet Maria's or direct? I've been looking at them for the past couple of years but have not pulled the trigger. One, because I'm new to roasting and wasn't sure if that would be feeding a passion too much to make it obsession. Stove top and hot air roasted seemed to have two small of capacity to make roasting worth the time. Two, Sweet Maria's always seems to be back-ordered on the machine. I didn't know if the machine really existed. Are there other roasters besides the Aillio you would look at?
    yeah - i would buy directly from SM's directly. importing them seems to be a major pain in the ass, and i don't know of anyone else who is carrying the Bullet. they should be in stock towards the end of the month, but unless a stimulus bill gets passed, there's no way i'm picking one up.

honestly, it's only the Bullet for me. sure, it's a little gimmicky, but there are a number of features that the Bullet has which are unmatched anywhere, on any roaster (commercial or home), no matter what. specifically - IR bean temp monitoring, roast automation, and super quick drum temp adjustments (conduction ftw).

you could look at a cormorant or a huky but those are just as expensive (if not more), have smaller batch sizes, less automation, etc. why bother?

if you're in slc and ever wanna come roast on my quest swing on by, it's tons of fun

Thanks for the beta. I'm in SLC around 15th and 15th. I'd love to roast with you.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Have you tried the Sumatra from blue star?
    No. We've mostly bought Lariat when buying local coffee but I'll give that one a try.

I got my coffee Monday. Thanks Tgapp, it's fantastic. If you ever make it up to BC, Okanagan/Kootenays look me up.

He sent Ethiopia Dry Process Durato Bombe & Panama Elida Catui Natural. They're very different. The Ethiopian is very fruity, the Panamanian is very smooth with a slight chocolatyness (my favorite). I'm brewing with a too fine grind in a french press.

My only complaint is that now the bar is set too high for local roasters to achieve.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

i can make a comprehensive list of good roasters who will mail you coffee, including amazing budget picks, if there's interest in that sort of stuff.
    Count me as "interested"!

I've been trying different roasters/sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I got my coffee Monday. Thanks Tgapp, it's fantastic. If you ever make it up to BC, Okanagan/Kootenays look me up.

He sent Ethiopia Dry Process Durato Bombe & Panama Elida Catui Natural. They're very different. The Ethiopian is very fruity, the Panamanian is very smooth with a slight chocolatyness (my favorite). I'm brewing with a too fine grind in a french press.

My only complaint is that now the bar is set too high for local roasters to achieve.
    Yeah I like that Elida Estate Natural. On French press it's kinda like strawberry chocolate milk (similar mouthfeel too). I've been pulling shots of it all day and I've really enjoyed it, but the Bombe is still one of my faves. Tastes like pineapple.

I promise there are good roasters in Canuckistan but it is really fucking hard to tell the difference between good roasters and bad ones...even for other roasters. You don't really know until you brew it up. Some of the garbage that people get hyped on in SLC is just terrible - how could anyone ever like drinking that shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    Count me as "interested"!

I've been trying different roasters/sources.
    +1

Also, what's the story with single origin vs. blends? Is single just more distinctive or is there some other reason it should be better?

I'd guess you'd have to roast a single type at a time, but I'm kind of a fan of mixing things up in the grinder. My favorite thing yet was the last of a tgapp ethiopian added to a half-caf mix my wife made up that I think had Mexican decaf, a (lesser) ethiopian and something a little chocolaty. I'm sure it's sacrilege on some level, but I thought it was awesome: totally distinguishable components and sweet black.

Anyone have a line on a smooth guatemalan or similar? Have gone through 4 bags of gracenote and george howell, with all having a level of acid that just isn't pleasing in the morning. I did not get the same with the sbux beans I ran through between shipments, so I don't think it's grinder/prep related. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    +1

Also, what's the story with single origin vs. blends? Is single just more distinctive or is there some other reason it should be better?

I'd guess you'd have to roast a single type at a time, but I'm kind of a fan of mixing things up in the grinder. My favorite thing yet was the last of a tgapp ethiopian added to a half-caf mix my wife made up that I think had Mexican decaf, a (lesser) ethiopian and something a little chocolaty. I'm sure it's sacrilege on some level, but I thought it was awesome: totally distinguishable components and sweet black.
    Oh shit, tgapp gonna roast you for that heresy

As he probably should. I tried to reproduce it this morning (minus the beans I finished off yesterday) and it did not turn out well. My wife thinks it's fine, but she adds creamer before she tastes anything, so I have to discount her take somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Anyone have a line on a smooth guatemalan or similar? Have gone through 4 bags of gracenote and george howell, with all having a level of acid that just isn't pleasing in the morning. I did not get the same with the sbux beans I ran through between shipments, so I don't think it's grinder/prep related. Any thoughts?
    paging flyman683 to the white courtesy phone - any thoughts on that recent guat you posted up?

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=#333333
    Also, what's the story with single origin vs. blends? Is single just more distinctive or is there some other reason it should be better?[/COLOR]]
    i don't think blending is necessarily heretical, but it is out of vogue. the reason why the coffee elite turn their noses up at it is because it used to be a way of making coffee both consistently cheap and uniform; if you couldn't source one component of a three-part blend one year (say the crop had some serious disease or it was 5 cents more expensive), you could always just substitute in something with a similar flavor profile. that's why single origins became so popular, as a means to differentiate their product from blends - the idea being that the coffee is so good that it doesn't need to be blended. idk, i'd much rather take a well balanced blend than a shitty S.O. coffee any day.

as for roasting theory, you can either mix 'em all together before throwing them into the drum, or you can roast different components separately. doing the latter (called melange blending) only really makes sense if there is a compelling reason why; eg - one of the coffees is much smaller than the other, or you want one component to be way darker than another. if you're roasting the entire blend to about the same level, it makes little difference.

espresso is still (largely) blended, but S.O. espressos are becoming more popular. many of them are melange blended, so you have the exact same coffee roasted two or three different ways to make a single S.O. espresso. but yeah, the traditional rationale for espresso blending is that you would need one bean as the base (chocolate/nuts), one for crema, and one for high notes. so that's why the most "by the book" blends are always like 40% brazillian dry processed (base flavor), 40% guat (body/mouthfeel/crema), 20% ethiopian (top notes) or something like that.

idk, i blend espresso all the time, and all i do is literally walk up, see what's in my jars, and fucking throw shit together. it's often amazing, sometimes strange, and never fully repeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post

paging flyman683 to the white courtesy phone - any thoughts on that recent guat you posted up?
    With the caveat that I'm not sure how acid gets defined when it comes to coffee, and I may not know what the fuck I'm talking about: I don't notice anything particularly intensely "acidic" in that one. It definitely has a little bit of brightness though, and a good finish, but not crazy like some fancy Kenyan stuff I've had at the local hipster roaster that is too much and too complex to drink as a daily driver. I've been drinking it daily and quite happily (black, or course), occasionally blended 50/50ish with the decaf of get into cup #3+.

I'd give it a solid B+, not blowing my mind, but very very good, and wasn't going for anything crazy when I picked it since I wanted really good daily coffee with something to it.

This is the end of my snobbish coffee tasting blog.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

it's a roasting with your roast kinda sunday morning

The bomba is da bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The bomba is da bomb.
    man so when you posted that i actually was roasting the bombe
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.43.24 AM.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	341575
    i know its nerdy as shit of me, but i am fucking stoked on how this came out. easily the best i've ever done with this coffee - i'm on pound #3 and it's kind of an ass-kicker of a coffee. it's never happy in the drum, always roasts too fast and gets too dark without building enough sugar development. finally got a profile i'm jazzed on -

i'd like to get this a little lighter still (the bag i sent you was 5 degrees hotter than what i have here for reference) - but i also wanted to pull shots with this coffee, so we'll see.

one of the benefits for roasting for a bunch of you mags is that i get to practice a fuck ton, and i get to iterate on the same coffee multiple times in the same day - super helpful for learning.

also got this cool shot of a quaker (an unripe coffee cherry that, due to the complete lack of sugar in the bean, never actually roasts - it just gets weird and yellow.

also they taste strongly of peanuts so if you ever see em in a bag (this one is an extreme example), pick em out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20200927_170533143.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	341576

any real roaster will do that for you usually but if you're getting your coffee from some jong on tgr he'll probably fuck it up

Nerd on, man, it's clearly working. This morning it occurred to me that the fruit taste is so strong you could easily fool someone into thinking it was flavored.

Temporary hijack...plan to delete, hope tha's cool?

I know y'all don't have a lotta love for Peet's. But to celebrate Coffee Day they are offering *25%* off coffee ordered from their website, thru *2/29*.
    Use code: COFFEEDAY20
    (I'm gonna go for arabian mocha sanani - usually a bit too expensive. And their med roast fall blend, vine&walnut, which really hit the spot last year).

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Temporary hijack...plan to delete, hope tha's cool?

I know y'all don't have a lotta love for Peet's. But to celebrate Coffee Day they are offering *25%* off coffee ordered from their website, thru *2/29*.
    Use code: COFFEEDAY20
    (I'm gonna go for arabian mocha sanani - usually a bit too expensive. And their med roast fall blend, vine&walnut, which really hit the spot last year).

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ^^mocha sanani is wild shit. not my go-to as a daily drinker but it is 100% worth trying -ne of the more unique coffees I've had.

I'd actually trust Peet's to do a good job with it (it's one that likes to be roasted dark).

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (&amp; free mag coffee)

I just bought a pound of Peet’s French Roast from the supermarket because it was on sale for $11. It’s vile. Tastes like burnt hair. Gonna donate it to the Folgers & Dunkin crew at work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.