Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    woo! glad those arrived. hope you and your mom enjoy, Harry!
    Your packaging is getting pretty fancy. I really enjoyed that last batch of beans you gave me.
    Last edited by zion zig zag; 09-26-2021 at 09:49 AM.

Enjoying a cup of El Salvador Finca la Esperanza on the deck this morning.

Thanks tgapp !

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Enjoying a cup of El Salvador Finca la Esperanza on the deck this morning.

Thanks tgapp !

ha, I made that yesterday morning before a hike

then I forgot it at home

thankfully it was still warm by the time we got back

--

In all honesty, that El Salv isn't as good of coffee as the Wush, but it's just so goddamn pleasant and comforting. No real pretense to it, just nice, sweet coffee. And sometimes that's what you want.

Hope the recovery is going well, keep at it!!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Love this thread...Just pulled the trigger on a Rancilio Silvia and a burr grinder. Yup, I know, first world problem spending that much. What do you think I should be brewing?

Quote Originally Posted by AmmergauerTele View Post
    Love this thread...Just pulled the trigger on a Rancilio Silvia and a burr grinder. Yup, I know, first world problem spending that much. What do you think I should be brewing?
    Start out with something cheap like the local roasters espresso blend, and keep using that until you have the shots dialed. Then you can play around with some fancier beans. Make sure your beans are 5-14 days from roast.

Do people generally prefer the ultrafine metal filters in the Aeropress to the paper filters? I've always felt that it just tasted slightly different with the metal filters from the paper filters and preferred paper as such.

start by brewing coffee

in all seriousness, congrats on the buy! silvia is a great machine. what grinder did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Start out with something cheap like the local roasters espresso blend, and keep using that until you have the shots dialed. Then you can play around with some fancier beans. Make sure your beans are 5-14 days from roast.
    this is great advice. aim for ~18 grams of coffee in and 36 grams of espresso out (+/- 6 grams) in between 32 and 40 seconds. if it tastes bitter, it's overextracted. grind coarser or use less (.5g) coffee. if it tastes sour, it's under extracted. grind finer or use more (.5g) coffee. of course, get a good scale (accurate to .1g).

your next upgrade should be an ultrafine basket - VST or decent make good ones - and a bottomless portafilter. this will help you level up your espresso game in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Do people generally prefer the ultrafine metal filters in the Aeropress to the paper filters? I've always felt that it just tasted slightly different with the metal filters from the paper filters and preferred paper as such.
    metal filters will let more oils in the cup come through, which some like and some don't like. i suppose it depends on your preferences. if you like coffee with more body, use a metal filter. paper = slightly cleaner cup, less mouthfeel

if i were brewing aeropress on the reg i'd snag one of these: https://fellowproducts.com/products/prismo

tgapp thanks for the advice - will definitely get a scale and look at that portafilter. Got the rocky grinder....probably should have gotten something different, amateur hour here.

start by brewing coffee

in all seriousness, congrats on the buy! silvia is a great machine. what grinder did you get?

this is great advice. aim for ~18 grams of coffee in and 36 grams of espresso out (+/- 6 grams) in between 32 and 40 seconds. if it tastes bitter, it's overextracted. grind coarser or use less (.5g) coffee. if it tastes sour, it's under extracted. grind finer or use more (.5g) coffee. of course, get a good scale (accurate to .1g).

your next upgrade should be an ultrafine basket - VST or decent make good ones - and a bottomless portafilter. this will help you level up your espresso game in a hurry.

metal filters will let more oils in the cup come through, which some like and some don't like. i suppose it depends on your preferences. if you like coffee with more body, use a metal filter. paper = slightly cleaner cup, less mouthfeel

if i were brewing aeropress on the reg i'd snag one of these: https://fellowproducts.com/products/prismo
    I use an aeropress to make a single cup of coffee (rotate between this and a v60). But I’m basically making drip coffee not trying to make a “shot”. Would this still help? I kinda like that the water leaks out as I keep adding more to keep the brew temp up, etc.

Also just roasted some natural Columbia and a Guji from Berman that I’m excited about. The guji was smelling super fruity.

tgapp thanks for the advice - will definitely get a scale and look at that portafilter. Got the rocky grinder....probably should have gotten something different, amateur hour here.
    You’re far from amateur status w this set up. Get a scale. It’s a precision game with lots of art. Tgapp is on it as usual w/ his advice. The rocky has no dosage scale so you need the scale to weigh the grounds. Shoot for 18g grounds out of the rocky and work your extraction times and weights out. I find the rocky has big skip jumps on grind setting so if you - for example - get 30g out in 30 seconds and go a finer step down on the dial and get 30g in 40 seconds you can go 17.5g in and see where that lands you. Rocky is a great grinder but you may have to weight surf a bit. Godspeed.
    Uno mas

Yeah that is a great setup, you'll be able to quickly surpass whatever local coffee shops. When you get shit figured out send me a note and I'll mail you some beans. Lots of great recommendations up thread for world class espresso - JBC and Cimarron are my favorites.

The biggest upgrade you can possibly get is a precision basket (VST or Decent). The bottomless portafilter isn't an upgrade as much as it is a diagnostic tool which helps provide real time information about how your shot is pulling. It will help you improve your distribution, tamping, etc.

@neufox47 - I ended up picking up Bodhi's Ethiopian Banko Gotitu on your recc. Stoked to roast some this weekend. What natural Columbian did you get??

On aeropress... lots of different ways of doing it; I just found out that my office has an aeropress setup which improved my quality of life immensely whenever I have to go in. I'm perfectly happy with the paper filters, but if and when the upgrade bug bites, $25 is a cheap way of significantly changing your brew method. Way cheaper than upgrading a grinder or whatever else.

For the past several months, I was doing double paper filters in the Aeropress. Rinsing the filter, flipping over (grind side down), reinstalling and running hot water through. I would easily get a week out of double filter that way (40g per use). If I don’t do the flip and douche, the oils build up and it clogs noticeably. I’m not convinced it was any better, but it became part of the routine. Finding your secret routine is half the battle.
    On a V60 kick now, so Aeropress is benched.

However many are in a shit ton.

tgapp and Doremite thanks for the advice. Should be here next week. You guys are legends! Scale & portafilter upgrade - done.

thinking of thinning the grinder herd next month and i wanted to gauge interest here before selling on h-b

i've got a niche zero and an orphan espresso apex. the niche is probably the most popular grinder for single use (espresso/drip), and it's absolutely amazing. super easy workflow, easy to change between settings, etc. it does excellent at drip coffee and it's superb for espresso. best grinder i've ever owned, hands down.

the OE apex is only good for drip coffee (can't do espresso) and it's a bit of a bitch to use, but it grinds as well (or better) than an EK43 (which costs $3k).

would give a great mag price on either of them, pm me if you're interested

edit: in the spirit of TGR price transparency and community, thinking $400 for the Niche and $150-200 or so for the OE Apex. can upload photos and detailed description, etc, for either if there's interest

Super tempting on the apex. Why is it a bitch to use? I’d of thought it was easy to use for a hand grinder.

Just tried my first batch of the natural guji and it is tasty. I think I roasted it about 20-30 seconds too long, but still got decent blueberry notes.

tgapp got the Silvia and Rocky. Pulling shots today. Your recommendations were spot on. By fifth shot got the grind dialed and was hitting 36g in about 38 seconds. Tastes amazing. Rivals anything I’ve ever had. Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to continue refining my game.

tgapp got the Silvia and Rocky. Pulling shots today. Your recommendations were spot on. By fifth shot got the grind dialed and was hitting 36g in about 38 seconds. Tastes amazing. Rivals anything I’ve ever had. Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to continue refining my game.
    nice work!

now the real trick is to learn how to tell if a shot is ready not based on time, but based on color. that's the real indicator of shot progression.

too lazy/drunk to type out how this all works but basically when you've gotten all the good stuff out of yer grounds the stream of espresso will change from brown eventually to tan and then to blond. you can see, it'll look like a blond spot in the top of the crema in your shot. basically you wanna kill the pump like one second after it blonds. blond = bitter, overextracted coffee. could be in 25 seconds or it could be in 50 seconds. weight and time matter far less than shot progression. there's a thread called espresso making mags that's all about this shit. search function, jong

anyway, find a bean you like, get to know it, brew espresso between 5 and 14 days off roast like other mags have said. bottomless pf and a vst basket are the next things you need. maybe a $3 dissection needle too. i have probably $5k in espresso equipment right now (all bought second hand), but my $3 dissection needle is the shit. most important tool I own.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Super tempting on the apex. Why is it a bitch to use? I’d of thought it was easy to use for a hand grinder.

Just tried my first batch of the natural guji and it is tasty. I think I roasted it about 20-30 seconds too long, but still got decent blueberry notes.
    It's a bitch to use. Seriously. Can't overstate that point. But it rivals $3k grinders easily. Also can't overstate that point.

Gonna roast that natural this weekend. I'm stoked to try it!

Fuck, I want that Niche Zero. But now that I’m off espresso, kind of wasted on me. Fuck still want. Fuck.

However many are in a shit ton.

It's a bitch to use. Seriously. Can't overstate that point. But it rivals $3k grinders easily. Also can't overstate that point.

Gonna roast that natural this weekend. I'm stoked to try it!

Is it due to it being tippy/ difficult to control or the workflow / grinding speed? Seems like a lot of people bolt it to a cutting board to stabilize it.

On the Niche are you able to truly switch back and forth from pour over to espresso? That goes against everything I’ve been told to get your espresso grind dialed.
    Last edited by neufox47; 10-01-2021 at 10:58 PM.

edit: in the spirit of TGR price transparency and community, thinking $400 for the Niche and $150-200 or so for the OE Apex. can upload photos and detailed description, etc, for either if there's interest
    Oh man. Intrigued by the Niche 0. PM sent.

If this works out I will have a Rancilio Rocky (heavily used) I would pass on to a mag for pretty much shipping. Few minor quirks but fully functional and nothing that effects grind quality.
    Last edited by Doremite; 10-02-2021 at 07:17 AM.
    Uno mas

If you do pull the trigger I'm interested in your Rocky. I'm curious to upgrade from my 70 dollar burr grinder.

Filled my little thermos with some of tgapp’s Ethiopian Wush Wush and headed out to my new island. Set up my camp chair, roasted a bowl of indica, sipped some awesome coffee, and enjoyed the peace and solitude.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1633187211.905139.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	387621

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters