Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Love good Yemen coffee. Even some amazing single origin espresso stuff that comes through from time to time. I really like the odd balls - sour beers, funky coffee, etc.

Too lazy to do much research, so usually just picking from what SM is offering. Haven't had a bad batch yet, but only started down that road last year.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    what is happening

this is the second Captain's Coffee I've had that is just miserable - this is their Durato Bombe.

did I fucking forget how to roast? am I having a stroke? is there a reason why everything tastes like burnt toast?

profile here for constructive feedback, this looks good to me, maybe a little slow but that's how this roaster is.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    That looks like a good curve to me. It is slow, but not outside acceptable times. I’d go back to a coffee you know you can roast, if it is shit I’d say there’s something wrong with your roaster.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    That looks like a good curve to me. It is slow, but not outside acceptable times. I’d go back to a coffee you know you can roast, if it is shit I’d say there’s something wrong with your roaster.
    Nah this roaster is just slow. I could show you 10+ curves from coffees that cupped exceptionally well there were all slower than that.

Coming to terms with bad coffee sucks.

Sounds like you're in fro big batches of cold brew and a fuckton of tiramisu.

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/nBUb0J2ca2s?feature=share

I do not dislike drip coffee disclaimer.
    Last edited by SB; 03-13-2023 at 01:00 PM.
    watch out for snakes

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an Aillio Bullet roaster. Do any of you that own one have any cons to throw my way? So far, it seems to me, that the switch from artisan might take some adjustment, but other than that it seems like an end-to-end upgrade over my current machine. I primarily want more capacity as my time is at a premium these days, and will only be more constricted with a little one on the way.

I have one. I came from a Whirly Pop coffee roaster. The artisan thing is an issue mostly because you can't share roast info. What's nice is the added roasting capacity, and lots'o control with your roasts. What's bad is putting all those controls in the hands of a rookie novice, like me. Everything is drinkable; some more than others. Drop me a PM if you want more info

Recently picked up a DiFluid Coffee Refractometer on eBay for cheap. It's like the super cheap, non-professional grade version of the Atago, and it's been a ton of fun. I actually have been using it to fine tune recipes for pourover, and it's been quite helpful. That, coupled with a RoastVision (which gives me objective data on roast levels) means I'm able to get my process more dialed from green to cup.

Here is a Columbian Gesha Natural I've been trying to push extractions on - when I started I was getting around 17.5% extraction, and now I'm closer to 20%. I'd like to try to get up to 22% or higher, but I want a better grinder first.

Sick -- cool to be able to see objective output even if it isn't perfect.

Also Columbia Gesha -- yum.

Got tired of hand grinding multiple times for 50-60g for visitors. So finally broke down and bought a electric grinder -- Mignon Chrono. Pretty pleased with the first few V60s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	signal-2023-03-29-092557_002.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	372.3 KB 
ID:	453630

Nice!

Got moar decaf beans, a nice variety. First up is a Columbian, almost over roasted first batch but it is quite tasty with no burnt up flavors that I can tell.

Found that using my Stanley SS filter instead of the Mellitta paper filter I can get an increase in flavors.
    watch out for snakes

I just found this grinder while cleaning up

It's a bit dirty and it's missing a set screw that should be replaceable, anyone want it for free?

I'll clean it up and such. It's a $600 hand grinder that only does pourover. Kinda a pain to use to be honest but it produces some of the very best coffee in the world

I just found this grinder while cleaning up

It's a bit dirty and it's missing a set screw that should be replaceable, anyone want it for free?

I'll clean it up and such. It's a $600 hand grinder that only does pourover. Kinda a pain to use to be honest but it produces some of the very best coffee in the world

I’m your huckleberry. PM sent.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yesterday I met Michael, the coffee manager at the Whole Foods flagship store in ATX. He was watching a batch of hot beans cool in the roaster when I walked by. We chatted about home roasting and buying green beans (he'll sneaky sell you green for 10% off).

He told me, with a hint of sadness that showed through his happy WF associate veneer, his is the last store that roasts its own beans and soon it's all coming to an end. After 14 years his op is being shut down in the name of operational efficiency.

Anyone tried the new Timemore 078 grinder? Thinking it may become my espresso grinder. Will wait a bit though as I don’t need to spend $500 on a grinder right now.

Tried to buy green beans while in Bogota and had no success. Apparently you have to go to the country to get anything green.

It was surprising how bad much of the coffee was but apparently most of the good beans are exported. Was fortunate that there was a San Alberto Cafe near my hotel and they had great coffee. It was pretty cool, a coffee shop that is owned by a coffee plantation. I bought their Gesha and they gave me the number for the plantation, I’m going to see if I can buy some green beans direct from the plantation.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Anyone tried the new Timemore 078 grinder? Thinking it may become my espresso grinder. Will wait a bit though as I don’t need to spend $500 on a grinder right now.

Tried to buy green beans while in Bogota and had no success. Apparently you have to go to the country to get anything green.

It was surprising how bad much of the coffee was but apparently most of the good beans are exported. Was fortunate that there was a San Alberto Cafe near my hotel and they had great coffee. It was pretty cool, a coffee shop that is owned by a coffee plantation. I bought their Gesha and they gave me the number for the plantation, I’m going to see if I can buy some green beans direct from the plantation.

I backed the Timemore 078s - I think that's the model? The one with the hybrid ghost/flat burr set that is only appropriate for drip. I'm excited to try it; I already have a huge conical (a Weber Key), so I don't need an espresso grinder.

Cool to hear that you picked up a Columbian Gesha; I assume what you have is already roasted? Definitely let us know what you think.

As an aside; I've come to love the coffee scene in Chicago. New Math is absolutely amazing. Great local roaster.

Yea roasted. We did a coffee and Rum tasting there and my Colombian colleague got the number for the plantation and said they would sell green gesha when they harvest it. Not sure if they will ship it to the US though.

Anyone care to share info on their diy beans cooler?

wondering if there are some cheap hacks before I go spend $70.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    Anyone care to share info on their diy beans cooler?

wondering if there are some cheap hacks before I go spend $70.
    Metal colander set into a bucket with a hole cut in the bottom of the bucket and a shop vac hooked into it. Works amazing.

Metal colander set into a bucket with a hole cut in the bottom of the bucket and a shop vac hooked into it. Works amazing.

yeah, this seems a top contender.

in the meantime, here's a company that needs a marketing consultant.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    yeah, this seems a top contender.

in the meantime, here's a company that needs a marketing consultant.
    Oh Jesus that is good. And yeah, if you have a shop vac all you need is a metal colander. It'll be far more effective than whatever Amazon thing.

On an unrelated note, I had a gas solenoid fail on my roaster, and I was able to diagnose it and fix it myself. Not that impressive but for someone with as little mechanical capacity as I have, I was stoked to diagnose it and fix it myself. Cleaned out the whole machine and now things are running better than ever.

This curve was my last batch of a beautiful Columbian anaerobic gesha - not a perfect curve but still pretty damn good. Coffee tastes like star fruit, lychee, and pineapple. Great cup.

I Always find a lot of satisfaction in being able to diagnose and fix something yourself.

Congrats
    watch out for snakes

And yeah, if you have a shop vac all you need is a metal colander. It'll be far more effective than whatever Amazon thing.
    Ended up using a flat-bottomed metal colander, a home depot bucket, a household vacuum, and some water pipe insulation to fill the gap around the colander. Works like a charm. Cost: $0 (already had everything)

On an unrelated note, I had a gas solenoid fail on my roaster, and I was able to diagnose it and fix it myself. Not that impressive but for someone with as little mechanical capacity as I have, I was stoked to diagnose it and fix it myself. Cleaned out the whole machine and now things are running better than ever.
    That's awesome. I'm kinda the same and once fixed a stereo speaker where some dripped solder on the pcb was shorting the electricity/signal. It's a good feeling.

Looking at cold brew apparatuses. Any reason to avoid OXO?

Papua New Guinea kabiufa from Roastmasters home roasted 15 mins @ a peak temp of 427F and blended with Costco Sumatra dark beans is pretty darn good.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Papua New Guinea kabiufa from Roastmasters home roasted 15 mins @ a peak temp of 427F and blended with Costco Sumatra dark beans is pretty darn good.
    that whole sentence was such a fucking wild ride

how dare you blend Roastmasters with Costco. GTFO JONG