Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Hey OP,
    Can you send my 93 y/o Mom some ground coffee ? She drinks some really shit “donut shop blend” my SIL gets for her on Amazon. I have tried talking her into getting a grinder and some good beans she might enjoy it. She thinks having a grinder is somehow unnecessary. If you can send her some pre ground that would brighten up her day. Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    lol sure, DM me her address and I'll mail her some dope preground coffee

I'd judge the shit out of anyone else drinking preground coffee but since she's 93 she gets a pass

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Nekkid pics of granny?
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I'd judge the shit out of anyone else drinking preground coffee but since she's 93 she gets a pass
    Sigworthy

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Seriously though, if you ground it straight into a vacuum sealed bag, would it come out okay? Single dose.
    Not saying this is an ideal scenario from a freshness or environmental standpoint. But for granny? Or for camping//road trip ......

Last edited by jm2e; 02-24-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Seriously though, if you ground it straight into a vacuum sealed bag, would it come out okay? Single dose.

yeah i used to do this all the time for multi-day mountaineering/ski trips, it works fine. then i found dank instant coffee (including the stuff that bennymac sent me from 49th parallel) and now i just use that instead.

tgapp, I have a JBC question: How much do you save if you sign up for a wholesale account? At their standard pricing a 5 lb bag would run about $120ish, decent savings at wholesale? Will they let you sign up for wholesale and order 5 pounds every once in a while? They ask for average weekly order size on the wholesale form.

Also, they have so many options, what do you recommend?

Just took a look at Bird Rock and Paradise based on your reccos. So many good coffees to try....

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    tgapp, I have a JBC question: How much do you save if you sign up for a wholesale account? At their standard pricing a 5 lb bag would run about $120ish, decent savings at wholesale? Will they let you sign up for wholesale and order 5 pounds every once in a while? They ask for average weekly order size on the wholesale form.

they may have changed how it works. when i did it i just called them up and asked for a wholesale account. tell them that you are ordering for SAR and i 100% promise they will give it to you. they're good folks.

as for specific recommendations - i love everything jbc does. if you like my coffee you can't go wrong with them. they're like the more gooderer version of me. their single origin ethiopian espresso changes all the time but it's pretty bonkers good.

I signed up in the fall. 5 lb bags are generally $50-$70 plus shipping. They haven’t cared that I’ve ordered a total of 4, 5 lb bags. The benti nenqa is amazing at $71. I’m very happy / enamored with my own roasting but tempted to buy 5 lbs of it.

lol sure, DM me her address and I'll mail her some dope preground coffee

PM sent.

Thanks ! Hopefully this will brighten her day. The shitty “donut shop” stuff my SIL gets for her is rank. Mom somehow thinks it’s special. This will blow her mind.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I signed up in the fall. 5 lb bags are generally $50-$70 plus shipping. They haven’t cared that I’ve ordered a total of 4, 5 lb bags. The benti nenqa is amazing at $71. I’m very happy / enamored with my own roasting but tempted to buy 5 lbs of it.
    Damn, that's a ton of savings over standard retail, like half. I'll try and sign up today. How far out from roasted on date are you getting when you order?

Damn, that's a ton of savings over standard retail, like half. I'll try and sign up today. How far out from roasted on date are you getting when you order?
    they roast to order. but, for your espresso, you want like 5-7 days off roast anyway. vac seal and freeze that shit as soon as you get it and you'll be good to go.

and yeah their Ethiopian single origin espresso is so good. idk how they do it (well I do, but it seems impossible to achieve), but it's both sweet and floral, characteristics that are usually "pick one" type attributes.

they roast to order. but, for your espresso, you want like 5-7 days off roast anyway. vac seal and freeze that shit as soon as you get it and you'll be good to go.

and yeah their Ethiopian single origin espresso is so good. idk how they do it (well I do, but it seems impossible to achieve), but it's both sweet and floral, characteristics that are usually "pick one" type attributes.

Yeah I did the vac seal and freeze with the last 5 pounds that I got fresh roasted locally. After I bring it out of the freezer it needs a couple of days to get to the right place for espresso.

Yeah I did the vac seal and freeze with the last 5 pounds that I got fresh roasted locally. After I bring it out of the freezer it needs a couple of days to get to the right place for espresso.
    ha, i just looked over their list of current coffees - no dedicated SO espressos it looks like, but TONS of options. i'd want to try pretty much everything they have right now, and at $50-70 for a 5lb bag, that's a no brainer IMO. great prices on world class coffee.

seriously i would call them and ask what of their SO coffees work well as espresso. they should know. my guess is that their san diego costa rican natural (from Tarrazu, which is a big deal) would be dope, as would their guatemala (bella carmona).

sorry for fangirling, i might just buy a bag from them because they're so fucking good at what they do.

Free shipping with 3 bags. Seems like a good option for picking a choice roast before committing to a 5 pounder.

The JBC benti nenqa is so good for my pourover and aeropress I would be happy drinking it all the time. I filled out their online form for a wholesale account, but so far no reply.

Can anyone recommend a good reusable #2 coffee filter for my drip coffee maker?

Curious to find that using a V60 (size 01) produces a stronger brew gram for gram than my Aeropress. Same bean, same grind size, same water temp, very similar brew times (about 2 1/2 min). I’ve settled on 1:15 with the Aeropress and 1:17with the V60 to get very similar results.
    I guess I would have assumed it would be the other way around if anything.

Curious to find that using a V60 (size 01) produces a stronger brew gram for gram than my Aeropress. Same bean, same grind size, same water temp, very similar brew times (about 2 1/2 min). I’ve settled on 1:15 with the Aeropress and 1:17with the V60 to get very similar results.
    I guess I would have assumed it would be the other way around if anything.
    This is interesting, thanks for posting that. Is this surprising because the Aeropress has some pressure or do you also give it more time?

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

I’m at about 2:30 total time for each.
    It’s surprising because I figure all of the water is in contact with all of the beans the whole time (mostly). Aeropress steeps while V60 passes through. But I consciously don’t squeeze out the puck with the Aeropress. So maybe that’s it.
    Overall, I prefer what I get out of the Aeropress, but enjoy the groovy hipster experience with the V60.

How many grams of grinds for a “normal” 6 ounce cup of v60 coffee? I could probably google but I trust you guys more.

I’m at about 2:30 total time for each.
    It’s surprising because I figure all of the water is in contact with all of the beans the whole time (mostly). Aeropress steeps while V60 passes through. But I consciously don’t squeeze out the puck with the Aeropress. So maybe that’s it.
    Overall, I prefer what I get out of the Aeropress, but enjoy the groovy hipster experience with the V60.

honestly at this point i do v60 for the smells. it's one of my favorite parts of making coffee. whoever i'm making coffee for - be it on a camping trip or for wifey at home, i'll holler at 'em to get over here and stick their schnozz in the v60 to smell what's brewin'.

and with regard to varying strength levels between v60 and aeropress, that might have something to do with the fact that you are dissolving more coffee solids with your v60 technique. it could be that you are adding your hot water in pulses (keeping the extraction slurry closer to boiling for longer), it could be that you have a higher brew ratio, or it could just be differences in grind size between the two.

either way, aeropress makes dope coffee, and you should always follow the flavor. if it tastes good, something's working.

How many grams of grinds for a “normal” 6 ounce cup of v60 coffee? I could probably google but I trust you guys more.

6oz is a normal cup?? you poor soul

somewhere in the 12-13g range depending on how strong you like it

Just wanted to thank you for the Cimarron Coffee Roasters recommend. Simply amazing. Luckily I am only 60 miles away and get over there frequently.

Edited to add
    This is my current crack of choice

https://www.cimarronroasters.com/col...a-tuma-tesso-4
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

i'll holler at 'em to get over here and stick their schnozz in the v60 to smell what's brewin'.
    Haha, kinda sig worthy ......... strictly in the world of this thread and the pure hipster world.

and with regard to varying strength levels between v60 and aeropress, that might have something to do with the fact that you are dissolving more coffee solids with your v60 technique. it could be that you are adding your hot water in pulses (keeping the extraction slurry closer to boiling for longer), it could be that you have a higher brew ratio, or it could just be differences in grind size between the two.

either way, aeropress makes dope coffee, and you should always follow the flavor. if it tastes good, something's working.
    Yea, I pretty much posted because I'm a bored, under achieving, serial narcissist and wanted to share my meager journey with a captive audience. I'm having fun and have definitely taken a wild unanticipated turn in coffee.