Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    https://store.caffeladro.com/el-salv...-8oz-p620.aspx

Bought some of this to try out. My pourover recipe is pretty dialed so should be able to make a great cup with this stuff straight away. Coffee is the one thing thing i know where i can be bourgeois on a budget. $20 for probably 10 big cups of coffee. Worth it in covid times to keep it interesting.

And freerange eggs. So basically my breakfast is bourgeois as fuck.

^^ DAMN that is about the cheapest gesha i have ever seen. i usually pay between $18 and $45 a pound for gesha green, so 3-5 times that cost for roasted gesha is totally within reason.

let me know how it is? super curious!

I think I saw here that the thing to do is buy 5 pounds of fresh roasted coffee, freeze, and take out one pound at a time? Do you separate the coffee into one pound bags initially? Does the coffee in the freezer need to be vacuum sealed or is a ziplock with air pressed out good enough? Should the coffee be fully thawed before grind time? Sorry lots of questions. I used stale coffee this morning and there was almost zero crema. The change from "fresh" to stale was fairly fast and drastic.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I think I saw here that the thing to do is buy 5 pounds of fresh roasted coffee, freeze, and take out one pound at a time? Do you separate the coffee into one pound bags initially? Does the coffee in the freezer need to be vacuum sealed or is a ziplock with air pressed out good enough? Should the coffee be fully thawed before grind time? Sorry lots of questions. I used stale coffee this morning and there was almost zero crema. The change from "fresh" to stale was fairly fast and drastic.
    Yep, buy a 5lb bag
    Freeze ASAP. Ideally, you'll buy a bag roasted to order. JBC Coffee does this and they will also give you a wholesale account if you ask. That's who I would recommend.
    Vac seal into individual "weeks" of coffee (8-16 oz depending on how fast you move through it)
    Ziplock is good enough, suck out excess air with a straw
    Let it thaw completely (on counter the night before) before opening
    Store in an airtight jobber

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Yep, buy a 5lb bag
    Freeze ASAP. Ideally, you'll buy a bag roasted to order. JBC Coffee does this and they will also give you a wholesale account if you ask. That's who I would recommend.
    Vac seal into individual "weeks" of coffee (8-16 oz depending on how fast you move through it)
    Ziplock is good enough, suck out excess air with a straw
    Let it thaw completely (on counter the night before) before opening
    Store in an airtight jobber

Perfect, thanks for the details.

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Perfect, thanks for the details.
    I have a lazier approach that has worked for me. I buy fresh and about ~5 days from roast I drop the whole 5lb in the freezer. Each morning I drop my daily ration of beans into the grinder and without haste drop the bad back into the freezer. Bag is at room temp for <1 minute and I grind seconds after loading. I will almost always have a few gs of beans that sit in the grinder overnight that just get ground into the next mornings first shot but don’t sweat that.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    I have a lazier approach that has worked for me. I buy fresh and about ~5 days from roast I drop the whole 5lb in the freezer. Each morning I drop my daily ration of beans into the grinder and without haste drop the bad back into the freezer. Bag is at room temp for <1 minute and I grind seconds after loading. I will almost always have a few gs of beans that sit in the grinder overnight that just get ground into the next mornings first shot but don’t sweat that.
    yeah this is fine, just buy good coffee and use it while it's fresh, that's 98% of the struggle

Agreed on freshness. I grind at the dose needed for a shot if that wasn’t clear in the explanation of my approach. So ~70g of beans could be allocated from freezer into the grinder hopper on a given day but only grind ~18gs at a time.
    Uno mas

mmm yeah you need a bean temp probe.

6.5 min to 1cs is just fine but 5 minutes after that is probably not okay. it should be like 1 to 2 minutes after 1cs when you end the roast.

reason i say you need a bean temp probe is one of the fundamental rules of coffee is that the beans always need to be getting hotter and hotter. if at any point they start getting colder (ie, they peak at 450 and then slide down to 440 while still in the oven) that's bad news bears, and you'll get gross coffee out of it.
    Hmmm, interesting. Just did my first roasts that weren’t Yirg, two natural Ethiopians, and they roasted way faster. The Yirg took forever, I couldn’t hear the cracks at all so I just judged it visually and when I pulled them sooner than 11 minutes they still had the grassy taste. These new batches I pulled about 2 minutes after first crack and I think I over did them a hair due to my prior experience with the Yirg. Will post some pics tomorrow. I’ve been following the general Gene newbie advice of full bore until 1cs then back it down. I think I’ll try backing it down pre 1cs.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Hmmm, interesting. Just did my first roasts that weren’t Yirg, two natural Ethiopians, and they roasted way faster. The Yirg took forever, I couldn’t hear the cracks at all so I just judged it visually and when I pulled them sooner than 11 minutes they still had the grassy taste. These new batches I pulled about 2 minutes after first crack and I think I over did them a hair due to my prior experience with the Yirg. Will post some pics tomorrow. I’ve been following the general Gene newbie advice of full bore until 1cs then back it down. I think I’ll try backing it down pre 1cs.
    naturals roast faster, but they also look darker too, so if you're going off of color, chances are they're not overdone

^^ DAMN that is about the cheapest gesha i have ever seen. i usually pay between $18 and $45 a pound for gesha green, so 3-5 times that cost for roasted gesha is totally within reason.

let me know how it is? super curious!
    Well fuck me. Ground the coffee, dumped it in the V60, started pouring water and, in my morning haze, thought "damn this is draining quick, wtf?"

Turns out my wife, who drinks coffee once every couple months decided to make a cup of french press yesterday and left the grinder on that setting. this cup of coffee sucks. Still not as bad as the kuerig cups at work, but damn i was really hoping for a treat this morning.

There's always tomorrow.

I would have been late for work.
    With a good cup.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

or dump your contents in the press and wait a few more minutes?

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (&amp; free mag coffee)

Kenya AB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611461132.795461.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	359413
    Ethiopian Dambi Uddo

Name:	Image1611461246.583665.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	359414
    Ethiopian Abiyot Bobea

Name:	Image1611461342.788202.jpg 
Views:	52 
ID:	359415

Results are improving. All naturals. Will try tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Kenya AB

Name:	Image1611461132.795461.jpg 
Views:	45 
ID:	359413
    Ethiopian Dambi Uddo

Name:	Image1611461246.583665.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	359414
    Ethiopian Abiyot Bobea

Name:	Image1611461342.788202.jpg 
Views:	52 
ID:	359415

Results are improving. All naturals. Will try tomorrow.

Looks good man!!

Where are you sourcing from?

These are all sweet Maria’s.

The Dambi was a bit too dark. The AB was solid!

Currently playing with a V60 01 side by side with my Aeropress. Doing a 1:15 ratio with each. Which means adding 70-100g water afterward. Hence the V60 experiment.
    If I wanted to do 40g (or more) of bean in a V60, should I do an 02 or 03?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Currently playing with a V60 01 side by side with my Aeropress. Doing a 1:15 ratio with each. Which means adding 70-100g water afterward. Hence the V60 experiment.
    If I wanted to do 40g (or more) of bean in a V60, should I do an 02 or 03?

yep, my daily is an 03 v60, 46 grams of coffee in, 740 out

i find 1:16 to be more forgiving but obviously YMMV

If I’m making 40g of coffee (600g water) I use a kalita wave. For a single cup I still use a v60 (350/21).

Bump just to say that tgapp's beans set the bar pretty high for me. I ran out of his "bullshit espresso blend" (his naming) awhile back and everything I've tried since has been a little lacking in comparison.

Bump just to say that tgapp's beans set the bar pretty high for me. I ran out of his "bullshit espresso blend" (his naming) awhile back and everything I've tried since has been a little lacking in comparison.
    ha, thanks man!! i'll send my wife up with more this week or next

one more argument for buying beans from a nationally recognized roaster. my coffee is good, but it's nothing compared to jbc/birdrock/paradise, whomever. those guys set the real high bar.

another happy member of TGapp's Beans Fanclub

dude sent me fkn five bags of choice beans as a get-well gift, unreal cool & kind. thank you

X3
    It’s like we’ve gathered to praise our crack dealer/cult leader.

I’m a devoted follower.

When does HaleBopp come back?

Hey OP,
    Can you send my 93 y/o Mom some ground coffee ? She drinks some really shit “donut shop blend” my SIL gets for her on Amazon. I have tried talking her into getting a grinder and some good beans she might enjoy it. She thinks having a grinder is somehow unnecessary. If you can send her some pre ground that would brighten up her day. Thanks !

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    X3
    It’s like we’ve gathered to praise our crack dealer/cult leader.

praise be