Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Burnt hair is an interesting strategy: probably save a lot of energy getting some volume roasts to a consistent level by roasting a little less and just adding some artisinally burnt hair.

Personally, I've never much liked their French, or Italian dark roasts. Too much smoke. (Calling bogus on burnt hair tho, that smells same as fingernails, ime).
    Used to quite like the Viennese, but that went away.

The bs for the V&W blend sounds pretty cool:
    *This year’s Autumn blend boasts a trio of rare microlot coffees in a medium style, gems that shine brighter in the presence of their companions. A washed coffee from Jimma, Ethiopia, brings floral and citrus notes, while a wet-hulled coffee from the Solok Radjo Coop in West Sumatra adds spice, earth, and pepper. A natural processed coffee from Yemen is the final jewel, filled with winey spice, herbal notes, and candied citrus.*

Or, to quote a young Allen Kao, who went on to become a roaster at Peet's "tastes like dirt"...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I'm supremely offended by this French roast bullshit. I never heard of the stuff until I moved here and of course it had to be the vilest of all dark roasts. French people love coffee and I guarantee you serve the average Frenchie a shot of that stuff at a cafe and you get slapped around. Call it what it is damn it, 'Murican El Cheapo Gas Station roast, all the color, none of the flavor.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

aspiring coffee mags - we just had a baby and I've been cleaning stuff out to make room for baby gear. I have an aeropress and a porlex mini hand grinder that in all likelihood i'll never use again. I'd like to pass these along to a deserving mag. I offered to tgapp first and he politely declined but offered to send me coffee instead. Shoot me a pm if you can put these items to use and I will send them out via flat rate usps

Quote Originally Posted by patg View Post
    aspiring coffee mags - we just had a baby and I've been cleaning stuff out to make room for baby gear. I have an aeropress and a porlex mini hand grinder that in all likelihood i'll never use again. I'd like to pass these along to a deserving mag. I offered to tgapp first and he politely declined but offered to send me coffee instead. Shoot me a pm if you can put these items to use and I will send them out via flat rate usps
    ^^ someone take him up on that, that's pretty much the ideal high quality dirtbag set up, don't get much better than porlex mini + aeropress. post up and let us know and i'll hook u both up with some coffee.

Holy shit, I’m stuck in the hospital, high on fentanyl, trolling old threads. Can’t let this one die. Too much gold in here!!!
    Cheers tgapp!! FKNA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Sent ya a PM
    Last edited by willywhit; 12-01-2020 at 06:57 AM.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

big thanks to tgapp for putting this together.

anyone know if patg found a home for his stuff ??

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Holy shit, I’m stuck in the hospital, high on fentanyl, trolling old threads. Can’t let this one die. Too much gold in here!!!
    Cheers tgapp!! FKNA

Dude what happened? Heal up.

Haha. Mountain bike crash. Limited coffee for a couple days. Got a bit blocked up........... Home today, made a few drinks, back on normal "schedule".

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post

anyone know if patg found a home for his stuff ??
    grinder to jm2e and aeropress to willywhit mailed out today. Enjoy guys

grinder to jm2e and aeropress to willywhit mailed out today. Enjoy guys
    Thanks, Pat.
    Enjoy the storm ?
    78 mph gusts on the cape Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201205-134757_Shazam.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	351417

Sent from my SM-G930T using TGR Forums mobile app

on topic-ish question: is there any good, productive use for stale beans? one of my recent orders was lost in shipping for a while and when it was finally delivered, the envelope was damaged and one of the packages was pierced so it went completely stale. Do I just compost these? Calibrate the grinder? put them in a jar and use as a pen-holder?

Make chocolate coffee bean clusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Make chocolate coffee bean clusters.
    roast is on the light side, not the most chewable

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    on topic-ish question: is there any good, productive use for stale beans? one of my recent orders was lost in shipping for a while and when it was finally delivered, the envelope was damaged and one of the packages was pierced so it went completely stale. Do I just compost these? Calibrate the grinder? put them in a jar and use as a pen-holder?
    i keep my stale coffee in a jar near my grinder and i use it any time i make a major adjustment to "push" the old coffee out.

you can also do decent infusions with it (think vodka based coffee liqueur), those work well even (or especially) with older coffee

I find I can bring the coffee equivalent of dried feces to work and they think I’ve brought in something anointed by Christ.

I find I can bring the coffee equivalent of dried feces to work and they think I’ve brought in something anointed by Christ.

You have a pet civet cat?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    You have a pet civet cat?
    Careful you'll give tgapp an idea

coffee for mags - a coffee roasting trip report (& free mag coffee)

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    i keep my stale coffee in a jar near my grinder and i use it any time i make a major adjustment to "push" the old coffee out.

you can also do decent infusions with it (think vodka based coffee liqueur), those work well even (or especially) with older coffee
    I’ve got enough to try the liquor thing and have some in a jar.

At my office it’s coffee for one, and I’m already acquainted with these beans.

Bump and shout out to tgapp. Real deal coffee connoisseur. I am lucky enough to have tasted two of his roasts. The first one Panamanian being called “geisha“ is smooth as silk. To me it tastes like a finally brewed tea. And can be drinking by the court. The second roasts name escapes me but it is also Panamanian and tgapp Describes the taste of strawberries. This roast blew me away strong pungent and definitely with a strawberry twang. I enjoyed them both and I am grateful for the gift. Merry Christmas
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Bump and shout out to tgapp. Real deal coffee connoisseur. I am lucky enough to have tasted two of his roasts. The first one Panamanian being called “geisha“ is smooth as silk. To me it tastes like a finally brewed tea. And can be drinking by the court. The second roasts name escapes me but it is also Panamanian and tgapp Describes the taste of strawberries. This roast blew me away strong pungent and definitely with a strawberry twang. I enjoyed them both and I am grateful for the gift. Merry Christmas
    fkna man, those cookies you gave us were the best holiday cookies i've ever had - i definitely came out ahead in that exchange! shortbread and the ones with sprinkles that tasted almost like anise were my surprise favorites, but they were all honestly amazing.

thank you so much, you fucking rock

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1608821566.344515.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	354564
    #myfirsttgappshot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1608821566.344515.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	354564
    #myfirsttgappshot

that looks great

but what tf are you pulling your shot into? a votive candle holder??

this coming from the guy who saves those glass tiramisu cups from costco and uses them for cocktails...

Haha. It’s a glass yogurt jar. Been using it since breaking a nice ceramic mug about 4 years ago. Well, this is my third yogurt glass....
    I like the see through thing, even if the shape isn’t perfect.
    FWIW, I took the pic with the timer running, so that shows about 8 sec longer than actual time.