Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    yup re Fillmore, super simple, effective...I got given them so made the price kinda moot, but I am impressed thus far

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have a pair, but haven’t installed them yet. I’ll update as the trails dry out in a few weeks.
    Same boat here. Maybe later today I’ll drop them in. After last year dealing with repeated issues with clogged valve stems I’m hopeful for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Went with the Orange Seal stem as it came with a wide base as suggested. And we should be good at this point. No more leaking around the stem.

Def wasn't the tape, as I don't have tape on this rim - it has one of those Buttranger rim strips - which I have to say are pretty brilliant contraptions.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I think it might have been on a shimano UST rim that I used the orange Seal stem and they worked fine BUT I had to trim some of that wide basematerial to get it to fit in the center channel and then there was less of a seal on the wide base material but i got it to work
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah, the Fillmores are legitimately way better than normal presta valves. I've got a few pairs and I'm 100% sold.

another vote for Muk Off.

I have Muk Off and they have been pretty good, no issues, bling factor as well but the SC look pretty solid as well. May try a pair in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Best tubeless valve stems?

I also went with the Fillmores for the coming season. They seem like a pretty well thought through design, and I’m looking forward to not continually gumming up and replacing valve cores, but I haven’t any time on them yet (still skiing).

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Yeah, the Fillmores are legitimately way better than normal presta valves. I've got a few pairs and I'm 100% sold.
    Quick Q: can you take the cores out of the Fillmores so that you can check the sealant with a zip-tie like a dip-stick? I think not?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    Anybody try the Santa Cruz Fillmore stems?
    https://shop.reservewheels.com/produ...41504818561205
    I have a set, been running a couple months. The flow rate is legit, as advertised. Only quirks I've noticed are: 1) I've got to remember to squirt sealant directly into the tire, rather than through the valve when I change tires. 2) When I run inserts, they inflate just fine. But sometimes it seems like the plunger of the valve core slightly pinches a bit of the foam after I finish adding air, leading to a slight leak. But if I tap it to bleed a tiny bit of air, it seats good.

Quick Q: can you take the cores out of the Fillmores so that you can check the sealant with a zip-tie like a dip-stick? I think not?
    No, you can't. You've got to break a tire bead to check. You *might* be able to add sealant through the valve stem, if you're not using inserts (they push down on the bottom of the valve core plunger) and haven't aired up the tires yet.

Maybe I will try the Stan’s syringe/plunger which threads on for a tighter seal.

Maybe I will try the Stan’s syringe/plunger which threads on for a tighter seal.
    Yeah, I've got an old one of those. It threads onto the Fillmore top fine. I just wasn't able to apply enough fluid pressure with it to push the insert off the end piece to add sealant. It should be fine without an insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I have a set, been running a couple months. The flow rate is legit, as advertised. Only quirks I've noticed are: 1) I've got to remember to squirt sealant directly into the tire, rather than through the valve when I change tires. 2) When I run inserts, they inflate just fine. But sometimes it seems like the plunger of the valve core slightly pinches a bit of the foam after I finish adding air, leading to a slight leak. But if I tap it to bleed a tiny bit of air, it seats good.
    My interest in those is when you actually do get a flat and throw the bacon in as the mosquitos begin to swarm it will be so much quicker to gtfo and on the trail (especially if you don't have a co2)

I been using the Orange sealant bottle for injecting either orange or stans thru the valve stem after removing the core, seems to work fine
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I been using the Orange sealant bottle for injecting either orange or stans thru the valve stem after removing the core, seems to work fine
    Whoosh

I had a set of e*thirteen stems and I absolutely hated them. Didn't seal easily, and the stupid design made them really fussy with various pumps.

And mine came on a used wheelset so I didn't even get the little dust-cap-core-remover tool...

Never had any problem with the generic stans/wtb stems, but they don't have the bling factor as they look just like you've got tubes in...

I've been using the Reserve valves for about 5 months now. CushCore XC in the front, Pro in the back.

I manage to add sealant using an Orange Seal 4 oz bottle and pushing the little metal plunger to the side/in a bit. Takes a little longer but I am terrible at adding sealant directly into tires and then installing them, so I am happy.

Was getting sick of clogged cores and valves, problem is totally eliminated now. As far as checking sealant levels, I just do a shake/spin test and listen for the sloshing. No slosh, it gets more sealant.

Installed the Fillmore valves finally and what a difference. So much air flows through them it’s easy to set the tire with a floor pump. Nice not having to bust out the compressor. The cap that allows easy air down is a bit gimmicky but I did find it helpful when I wanted a bit less air while on the trail.

I have DT valves on both sets of wheels, they work great. Came with a bunch of rubber seals in various shapes to adapt to different wheel profiles so they've never leaked, no issues with gumming of the cores (yet), and the cap of the valve doubles as a core removal tool. I mounted 3 tires last night with a floor pump, haven't needed a compressor yet. I got them on sale in blingy colors, don't see the need for anything fancier or more pricey. The Fillmore would have to be on mega sale to justify getting them IMO. Having to break the bead to add/check sealant is a deal breaker to me. I don't do it often but prying a DD casing off the bead is not something I particularly enjoy doing...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

What do you guys use to clean dried sealant out of regular valve cores? Searched a bit an found reccos for ammonia, nail polish remover, mineral spirits and kerosene. The only suggestion that seemed backed up with actual results was the kerosene. I haven't tried any of these yet, wondering what others are using.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    What do you guys use to clean dried sealant out of regular valve cores? Searched a bit an found reccos for ammonia, nail polish remover, mineral spirits and kerosene. The only suggestion that seemed backed up with actual results was the kerosene. I haven't tried any of these yet, wondering what others are using.
    Not the answer to your question, but a drip of oil/chain lube in the new valve stem will keep the stem clean of sealant for the life of the part.
    I buy valve cores in bulk and change them out when plugged.

Filmores = $70
    Stans/WTB = $24
    Bulk cores = $2.00 each
    I can change a core 23 times before I can match my money from buying the Filmores.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Not the answer to your question, but a drip of oil/chain lube in the new valve stem will keep the stem clean of sealant for the life of the part.
    I buy valve cores in bulk and change them out when plugged.

Filmores = $70
    Stans/WTB = $24
    Bulk cores = $2.00 each
    I can change a core 23 times before I can match my money from buying the Filmores.
    That is a great idea, will try that with the next set of new cores. Thx.

I bought a bag of bulk cores and I replace them all the time. Easy peasy.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

We pull them out of punctured tubes and just have a little jar in a drawer.

Also putting some grease on the valves doesn't seem to help much. Pretty sure I put new cores with grease in when I swapped tires in august and they got sticky fairly quick. Or maybe I didn't. I dunno. Replacement cores yesterday got it though.

They are cheap to replace, but it seems silly to just throw them away. I usually run them until they get so clogged it drives me nuts. Gonna get some kerosene and try that.