Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ride/Camp Suggestion A Bit South Of Big Sky?

Headed up there Thursday, looking for a good site, hopefully near a good ride. Ideally 2-2500 vert, maybe with some chunky sections?
    Pm would be great if no-one wants to blast!
    Anyone wanna ride on Friday?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Has anyone climbed Ramshorn/Porcupine?

Not this season but that is a great local ride.

Up Ramshorn from 320 Ranch, kick it at the lake for a bit and then down Porcupine, if you can pull it as a shuttle, a beer at the Riverhouse on the deck, riding the road back to the 320 is probably not a great idea. There can be a good bit of Horse traffic out of 320.

Love to join you but I am having a new crown put on at 12:10, kind of f%^ks the entire day.

Where you thinking on Friday?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I’m still shopping for suggestions for Friday. Will be solo, so probably an out and back?
    When you say horse traffic, does that mean blown out dusty trails?
    Any tips on where to park the camper Thursday night?
    I will probably just leave the camper and drive to BS to ride lifts on Saturday.

Not terrible dusty/blown out.

Another option is up Taylors Fork, lots of dispersed camping but it is real busy around here right now.

Several worthy rides, Little Wapati and Pika Point come to mind. To the north there is good riding up Cinnamon mountain but describing it is impossible. Trailforks has lots of info. All can be looped.

I will put some thought into Friday.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Is there any dispersed camping near the start of Ramshorn?

Red Cliff is a USFS campground nearby, probably be jammed.

Lot of private land and USFS along the river north of Taylor's so dispersed is possible but kind of hunt N peck.

Are the Bozeman trails still all fucked up by horses and cattle? When I lived in montana in the lates ‘80s early 90s I truly loathed some of the riding

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3798791.pdf
    Dots beside the road is where you can technically car camp on Forest. In reality there are a few more spots not shown here. This map also doesn't show how bad of a road 2599 is, but consider it if you have a truck.

Ramshorn area trails are trashed by hooves but mostly fun. 3000' climb. The other trails around here have a normal amount of roughness for Montana. Slide Creek is in the Taylor Fork area is just slightly beat up by hooves but is really fun, 2300ish vert via Oil Well. Bring bear spray and make noise if you bike south of Big Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Are the Bozeman trails still all fucked up by horses and cattle? When I lived in montana in the lates ‘80s early 90s I truly loathed some of the riding

Yes and no. Kinda depends on the year, have a few rides locally that still haven’t recovered from hunting season horse use...last year! Obviously depends on the zone, grazing permits, buttfuck outfitter use, etc... Rode Slide Cr a few weeks ago and that was some of the most epic horse fucking I’ve seen in years. Just fucked.

And I’ll try and be helpful, Bunion’s got it. Taylor’s Fork is probably your best bet. Always somewhere to squeeze in up there.

Are there any trail areas that equestrians tend to avoid?

Ride/Camp Suggestion A Bit South Of Big Sky?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Are there any trail areas that equestrians tend to avoid?
    Cinnamon was in really good shape a week ago. Fun mostly cleanable climb with epic views from the top. Minimal switchbacks and a blasting downhill. Take a right at the junction to the lookout.
    Trail is equestrian friendly but haven’t run across any horse peeps last few times I’ve ridden it.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Ha! Way back before I moved to Missoula, I got lost riding in the Taylor Fork. That should fit the bill geographically and maybe vert wise. Plenty of camping up there too iirc.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nest View Post
    Cinnamon was in really good shape a week ago. Fun mostly cleanable climb with epic views from the top. Minimal switchbacks and a blasting downhill. Take a right at the junction to the lookout.
    Trail is equestrian friendly but haven’t run across any horse peeps last few times I’ve ridden it.
    This is looking good to me. Any camper spots near that trailhead, or is Taylor Fork the better bet?

Just to throw a couple other options out there, Red Canyon ( about 5 miles up, 2,300' ish) and Mile Creek ( about 7 miles up, 3,000' ish) are worthy out and backs with camping readily available at the trailheads. Big bear country though, so solo may not be the way to go.
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

It's all grizzly bear country.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBill View Post
    Just to throw a couple other options out there, Red Canyon ( about 5 miles up, 2,300' ish) and Mile Creek ( about 7 miles up, 3,000' ish) are worthy out and backs with camping readily available at the trailheads. Big bear country though, so solo may not be the way to go.
    Yes, I have done Mile and Sheep, looking to expand my horizons farther North...

You up there for the weekend? I think I'm probably headed up tomorrow after work. How's the cell service (Verizon) up that way? I've gotta do some work on Friday.

Verizon is the cell provider of choice in MT. Bars may be spotty once you get south of the Corral.

I would love to get a ride in with yas but if it means driving back down to Big Sky again this week I might kill someone and that would be bad. Every few days you say, "Traffic cannot possibly get worse" only to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    You up there for the weekend? I think I'm probably headed up tomorrow after work. How's the cell service (Verizon) up that way? I've gotta do some work on Friday.
    Looking to do Cinnamon on Friday, Big Sky Bike Park Saturday, and then *maybe* road ride beartooth pass from Red Lodge on Sunday. But that might be way too much driving. It’s on my bucket list, though.

If you're doing the BS bike park might as well finish the day with Mountain to Meadow if you've never done it. Park in the town center and take the bus to the mountain, ride all the way back down at the end of the day.

This is good beta!
    Is there anywhere to leave a gym bag safely at the base?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This is good beta!
    Is there anywhere to leave a gym bag safely at the base?
    There are lockers in the basement of The Exchange, which is what they call the big building at the base. Grocery store/deli in there too, and various shops.

If you do Mountain to Meadow make sure you start on Snake Charmer from the top of Ramcharger lift. It is a fun trail and leads to M2M.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Verizon is the cell provider of choice in MT. Bars may be spotty once you get south of the Corral.

I would love to get a ride in with yas but if it means driving back down to Big Sky again this week I might kill someone and that would be bad. Every few days you say, "Traffic cannot possibly get worse" only to be proven wrong.
    I must have missed it - what's causing the traffic shitshow?