Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So no College Football this fall....

So it sounds like they are going to announce this tomorrow.....

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...te/3332277001/

So what happens as far as elgibility goes? If they don't play in the spring will this year count?

For all NCAA sports last spring/this fall....

If no season/no participating in games....All Divisions are giving an additional year of eligibility...(like a redshirt)....will keep scholarship/no harm no foul.....stay another year........Teams can continue to train/workout....but no games....as I said in other thread. Schools are creating campus bubbles....no in/out till Thanksgiving.....

Winter sports are next...because they can’t start till Jan 1, 2021....which is a 1/4 of their season gone. My guess is teams/schools will redshirt entire teams so they don’t lose an entire year of eligibility during a shit shortened year. (ASU swim)

Tough decisions ahead....when life already sucks for NCAA student athletes.

What happens to the seniors? Miss out or withdraw to hopefully play next (21-22)season to get into the draft?

Football wise....the really good guys are already opting out...dropping out of school and will begin training for combine/Draft.

The good guys...I’m assuming will just take the “redshirt” extra year...train/stay on scholarship and shoot for 21-22 season.

Anybody else...it’s up to them...lose the year, but just graduate on time/start their life/career.

Easy decision for some/ but really tough for others.

Same goes for other sports too.....I would assume most kids that are impacts to their teams are going to opt to stay another year on scholarship.

The effect nobody thinks about is...2021 HS seniors/2022 HS seniors.....there will not be the same amount of scholarship money available to them across the board in all sports...because it’s going to stay with the kids getting the extra year.

They are screwed and don’t even know it yet.

Glad to hear this. NPR had a rather unflattering piece about the SEC pushing for the 2020 season and the issues surrounding the players on scholarship not having a choice between protecting their health and getting an education all so the NCAA can profit off of them.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Total years of play determines eligibility doesn't it? That would mean dropping out of school is not necessary. Kids that want to play next year could even go on to graduate this year and stay enrolled to play next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Total years of play determines eligibility doesn't it? Dropping out of school is not necessary to play next year.
    I just meant seniors dropping out so they don't graduate so they can play next year....

Yeah I haven't thought about HS seniors.. Some of them only get into college to play and get recruited during senior year of HS...

They learn that life's isn't fair and they learn how to deal with disappointment. Or they learn they they are "special" and any unhappiness is someone else's fault.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

An extra year for eligibility and then a red shirt year and you’ll have some crazy strong NFL sized men playing football. It will be like BYU everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy433 View Post
    I just meant seniors dropping out so they don't graduate so they can play next year....

Yeah I haven't thought about HS seniors.. Some of them only get into college to play and get recruited during senior year of HS...
    You don’t have to graduate.

Total years of play determines eligibility doesn't it? That would mean dropping out of school is not necessary. Kids that want to play next year could even go on to graduate this year and stay enrolled to play next year.
    Yeah, the five to complete four was changed years ago.

Yes...they can graduate...and then play on scholarship while working on post graduate credits..

The financial windfall of these universities will be an interesting case study in the coming years. I doubt it will happen but the financial teams at these institutions are more than likely going to be asking board of regents if they should uphold athletic scholarships if there are no sports. At any major university these schools get paid ~$5-10M annually just from corporate sponsors, not to mention the millions they make from media, ticket sales, , clothing, concessions, etc. If you’re a university with 200 athletes on scholarship at $25k/ year, that’s $5M you’re paying student athletes when they aren’t bring a dime in to your school. Couple that with the other financial challenges big schools will face in this pandemic and it’s going to be a tough financial road for some of these schools for the next few years.

I love college football but not surprised that it may not happen this year...a lot of tough choices kids are going to have to make.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    The financial windfall of these universities will be an interesting case study in the coming years. I doubt it will happen but the financial teams at these institutions are more than likely going to be asking board of regents if they should uphold athletic scholarships if there are no sports. At any major university these schools get paid ~$5-10M annually just from corporate sponsors, not to mention the millions they make from media, ticket sales, , clothing, concessions, etc. If you’re a university with 200 athletes on scholarship at $25k/ year, that’s $5M you’re paying student athletes when they aren’t bring a dime in to your school. Couple that with the other financial challenges big schools will face in this pandemic and it’s going to be a tough financial road for some of these schools for the next few years.

I love college football but not surprised that it may not happen this year...a lot of tough choices kids are going to have to make.

Yes...troubled waters ahead. The big schools that of course have football....the amount of money they make, fund all the other smaller sports at those schools.....those smaller sports (esp. men’s teams) are in trouble. The schools will not be able to fund them/let alone have scholarship money to attract athletes/families to attend.

I think you are rounding up a bit to call what is played in the big 10 college football
    "Can't you see..."

Is it time to maybe consider that not every kid in America needs to attend college? Maybe we could get some young people back into the trades?

The cost of college and number of kids going has been an issue for a while. Does your local bartender really need a bachelors in English or Philosophy?
    Last edited by gretch6364; 08-12-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

You have smart barbers in your town.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Is it time to maybe consider that not every kid in America needs to attend college? Maybe we could get some young people back into the trades?

The cost of college and number of kids going has been an issue for a while. Does your local bartender really need a bachelors in English or Philosophy?
    I'm really curious about this recurring theme that education is somehow a waste, especially the repeated insistence that people don't need to know things unrelated to their narrow specialization through which they earn money. Further, people like the above writer seem to represent it as an affront that people might just want to know stuff. It's lot like that 'don't get above your raisin' idea of popular country song, or, worse yet, the tried-and-true 'don't put on airs' or 'keep your place' so useful in keeping the darker-complected peoples subservient.

Yes, many very successful and smart people both thrive financially and live happy and fulfilled lives and contribute to their communities in useful and constructive ways, often times far more so than some cloistered academic whose every thought is based on The Importance of Flannery O'Connor, and who requires a spouse to take care of their daily needs because they're too inept to do so on their own.

But so fucking what, Gretch? Do you not know any bartenders who go to night school so they can do something besides tend bar? Do you not know any plumbers who are writing a novel in their study, or learning about opera, or inventing a rocket to prove the earth is not round?

What smallness of spirit says that how people make a living defines who they are and what they should know?

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    I'm really curious about this recurring theme that education is somehow a waste, especially the repeated insistence that people don't need to know things unrelated to their narrow specialization through which they earn money. Further, people like the above writer seem to represent it as an affront that people might just want to know stuff. It's lot like that 'don't get above your raisin' idea of popular country song, or, worse yet, the tried-and-true 'don't put on airs' or 'keep your place' so useful in keeping the darker-complected peoples subservient.

Yes, many very successful and smart people both thrive financially and live happy and fulfilled lives and contribute to their communities in useful and constructive ways, often times far more so than some cloistered academic whose every thought is based on The Importance of Flannery O'Connor, and who requires a spouse to take care of their daily needs because they're too inept to do so on their own.

But so fucking what, Gretch? Do you not know any bartenders who go to night school so they can do something besides tend bar? Do you not know any plumbers who are writing a novel in their study, or learning about opera, or inventing a rocket to prove the earth is not round?

What smallness of spirit says that how people make a living defines who they are and what they should know?
    QFT.....The theme is as old as time....

White collar vs Blue Collar
    College vs Trade School
    Jocks vs Nerds
    Skinny skis vs Wide Skis
    Democrat vs Republican
    Blonde vs Brunette
    Alta vs Snowbird
    Tundra vs F150

I personally am a white collar college jock wide skiing Republican...who likes blondes, prefers Snowbird and drives a Tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

The thought you can just go into “the trades” as some dumbshit is the dumbest Desk worker conceit ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    QFT.....The theme is as old as time....

I personally am a white collar college jock wide skiing Republican...who likes blondes, prefers Snowbird and drives a Tundra.
    Vibes.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    The thought you can just go into “the trades” as some dumbshit is the dumbest Desk worker conceit ever.
    This plus wtf does this have to do with college football??

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Vibes.
    Typical reply from a skinny ski Democratic electrician who likes brunettes, skis Alta and drives a Ford F-150.

Lol....actually besides the skinny skis.....that sounds like a good life..

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    It will be like BYU everywhere.
    You mean every team will line up 8 white guys and three Samoans?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.