Car insurance shopping

Man, I'm paying a lot. Especially since the damn thing sits 80% of the time these days. Anybody have a good one stop shop on the internet to compare pricing?

No, but if you don't have a quote for the carrier Costco uses you might consider it. I didn't until recently and ended up moving most cars over.

After dealing with a nasty uninsured motorist claim that allowed Geico to show me their true colors, I asked my attorney which insurance companies are the most reasonable to deal with. He said all of them suck at different levels but Progressive has been consistently more reasonable in his experience. Incidentally they are charging me about half of what Geico was.

I switched to AAA this year expecting a good experience and decent pricing. Pricing was ok but the experience was a massive disappointment after the rep I was dealing with repeatedly failed to submit needed info to underwriting, resulting in cancellation notices from both AAA and eventually notices from DMV to cancel my vehicle registration. Apparently that person "no longer works at this location" which better mean that he was fired. Regardless his replacement was able to clean things up though that required creating a whole new policy since mine was cancelled for real.

Maybe I need to try Progressive. Despite every single insurance company advertising savings of ~50% this is the first I've heard of anyone actually saving that much by switching.

Wawanesa and bear river have been really good for us

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

+1 in Progressive. I sav d about 25-30% going from Travelers to Progressive. I was with them for about 10 years with no claims. I tried one if those on-line quote generator s and called my agent with a "WTF" ! ?? The first person at the agency gave me some bull shit answer and when I reached the owner , someone so have used for 25 years and followed through a few agencies told me he uses Progressive. IDk if their claims process is any good but from what I have seen they all kind of suck when it's time for them to cut a check.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    +1 in Progressive. I sav d about 25-30% going from Travelers to Progressive.
    It's all such a scam. I saved like 30%+ and got better coverage going from Progressive to Travelers.

I need to shop around myself. I feel like I'm getting ripped off on both car/home. Despite having zero claims and a flawless driving record for at least the last decade, I'm paying out the nose. Is it simply because vehicle body repair or total repair costs are higher than ever before?

We pay about $1,900 a year for 2 cars with really high coverage, like $1M liability. If there is a better deal out there, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

You really have to look hard at how much you are insuring. Take a $10k value car for example. You probably pay $75-$100 a month extra for comprehensive and assume you have a $1k deductible so if you total the car after one year insuring it cost you $2k and depending on the car it's maybe worth $1k in salvage. So you are insuring a $7-8k risk maximum in your first year at best. How many wrecks have you had? It was cheaper for me to have only liability and add $2m umbrella. My cars are worth $3k and $10k book respectively and I save close to $1500 a year not having comprehensive. I've been running like this for several years so I'm way ahead.

You need to value your cars at wholesale, not retail.

What pisses me off is that car insurance companies are just killing it right now, and if life doesnt go back to normal soon, will have their best year or two or more ever, simply because mileage is way the fuck down, and the lack of claims are following. It's sort of the same with health insurers, because nobody is going to the doctor or getting surgery unless they have to. The car insurers made this big deal with their paltry little Covid discounts a few months ago that seem to have disappeared, but made for good PR, and now I open up my new bill, and, wtf, I get a little increase! Fuck me. Wait, I'll just go out and yell at that cloud....

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    You really have to look hard at how much you are insuring. Take a $10k value car for example. You probably pay $75-$100 a month extra for comprehensive
    Are we doing this again? Your numbers are whack, at least for a lot of us.

I have a $25k car (Tacoma w/50k) and I pay $27.16 a month for comprehensive and collision, total. And that's with a $500 deductible. Not having comprehensive/collision would be pretty dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Are we doing this again? Your numbers are whack, at least for a lot of us.

I have a $25k car (Tacoma w/50k) and I pay $27.16 a month for comprehensive and collision, total. And that's with a $500 deductible. Not having comprehensive/collision would be pretty dumb.
    Yeah, each car and individual is different. You’re right.

Where you live affects insurance rates, for auto and homeowners. So, what I pay will not be what you pay, unless we live in the same area (zip code) and have the same policy limits + deductibles + risks + types of coverage + what's being insured (houses and cars differ a lot).

I've used Costco's Ameriprise insurance for many years -- formerly was American Express, then AmEx moved it to their brokerage name, and recently it was all sold off to American Family. Rates didn't change with the sale to AmFam -- at least not yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Yeah, each car and individual is different. You’re right.
    Yup. If you are driving cheaper, older, paid off cars then liability only almost certainly will pencil out. But it also comes down to your salary/savings and risk tolerance. When we had an extra car and everything was paid off? Sure. But now with two newer cars its easier to have full coverage.

Of course if you have a loan, you need full coverage too.

It’s funny I pay almost the same for my 05 forester as I do for my 19 alltrack. Now he said the alltrack was cheap to insure. I agree

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)