Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    West to east prevailing winds. Different drainages. A mom and pop ski area...the kind of area we should all appreciate even if we don’t ski there much or ever. A wild fire rolling through. Nuclear waste buried to the East not upwind nor in the water source. Arco has everything to do with Soldier...and this thread.

I listened to an acoustic set from a dude out of Kimberly at the the “bar” at the base after skiing some small town pow whilst drinking some cheap beer last February. Ran into some friends. Had a good time. One of my favorite post ski beer sessions of last season. Might go down as one of the memorable pre-Covid sessions of ‘19/20.

Vibes for Soldier right now.

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    What is below Arco? The Idaho nuclear lab and all of the buried waste from the good old days. There was talk of putting a dome over the aquifer to decrease the water getting into all the old buried nuc waste.

I have only been around Pocatello since 2002 so I don’t have all the history and there is lots of it .
    Read "Idaho Falls". Good read about the SL-1 "meltdown" that killed at least 3. Lot's of reactors melted down out there in the name of science. Deep injection wells drilled into the basalt so they could pump first pass cooling water through the new reactors and not have to worry about settling ponds like Hanford did before they dumped the waste back into the Columbia River. Floods in the 1960's with barrels of waste floating around in shallow basins. Three Mile Island core is in some concrete casks out there too.

Soldier needs to figure out something though for attracting folks to want to ski there. $40+ lift tickets for two rickety lifts and no more single ride tickets for those of us that like to hike. The lodge there caters to the bar crowd and not the family crowd. They won't let families bring in their own lunches without somewhat of a hassle.

I wish Soldier well, but they really need to figure out how to make it work for them and not stick with the status quo.

Alas, small ski areas in rural Idaho face huge challenges that most don't survive. I can remember skiing Bear Gulch in St. Anthony, Taylor Mtn. SE of IF and even Pine Basin on the way to Victor from Swan Valley when I was little. Now, they are just spots on old maps. Even Kelly Canyon struggles, although no skiing on Sundays seems like a self inflicted wound. KC was open on Sundays when I was a kid, it was only a few miles from where I grew up.
    Last edited by spudbumkin; 08-11-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: directionally challenged
    More cowbell!!!

i'm fine, i'm surprised none of the people who could benefit financially from more write offs have not chosen to declare a loss at soldier..

its cold enough, and a snow making system for a few trails is chump change.

you realize that a few air miles away people donate piston bullys, upscale ones, 500g+

and yeah i know soldier has been through a lot. and yeah i know there is a tiny community in fairfeild that an open ski area w disposable income from tax havens could grant them(off shore billionaires) access to the 12k ft peaks, which hold snow,

and they'd make more money by losing less.

fine, its for sale at 50. remember when it was 150.

there is a reason private jets land in the blue-st dot in the red-ist state.

it's all the same.

like m theroy. that is the best we can offer.

You should buy it. Tax write off and all. Make it rad. I have a number of bullet points to make it a super cool place and maximize your business losses that I can email. Dale and C-Dub stay. In fact those two get promotions while they increase your write off which proportionately makes it cooler for skiers.

"i'll knock you the fuck out right in your chair" s. penn.

(before the el chapo interview)

did not realize it was for sale.