renting a place around Glens Falls (West Mountain)

December-April-ish. Advice? Anyone know of anything? Seems like it might be tight this year due to people essentially moving up there for the year...I have no idea how things typically work around there in terms of availability and how early you have to be.
    [quote][//quote]

Check-in with the gaper thread.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Check-in with the gaper thread.
    Or maybe slide zone

Saratoga Springs, no brainier. Unfortunately, bars closed, but, the only cool town.

The rental market is totally starved, because they didn't allow fans in the racetrack. Tons of homes are rented in the summer, so who knows among those thousands and thousands of landlords are doing well or bad. Winter, it's a college town, so watch if Skidmore is on campus or Zoom. If Zoom, even more seasonal rental available.

You might also find a pretty awesome Lake George property insulated for winter. Quiet, pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Saratoga Springs, no brainier. Unfortunately, bars closed, but, the only cool town.

The rental market is totally starved, because they didn't allow fans in the racetrack. Tons of homes are rented in the summer, so who knows among those thousands and thousands of landlords are doing well or bad. Winter, it's a college town, so watch if Skidmore is on campus or Zoom. If Zoom, even more seasonal rental available.

You might also find a pretty awesome Lake George property insulated for winter. Quiet, pretty.
    Yeah, I know Saratoga Springs is the only worthwhile town, but it's almost too far for a daily drive. Queensbury and that other tiny town (on the other side of West) are the best candidates. Maybe South Glens Falls.

We can get a place at the base of West but it's expensive (way too big). What you're telling me about the rental market is the opposite of what I have heard, although the Skidmore part of the equation is something I haven't accounted for. I know that in S. VT rentals are way ahead of where they would normally be. I was told it's tough to even find anything at Stratton due to all the NYC people who will now be living there (for this year).
    [quote][//quote]

cash is great but throw in a little Prozac and I think you will find the property you desire for the times you prefer

God, that might be true.
    What the hell is the gaper thread?
    Not checking in Slide Zone. I have fresh batteries in my transceiver.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Yeah, I know Saratoga Springs is the only worthwhile town, but it's almost too far for a daily drive. Queensbury and that other tiny town (on the other side of West) are the best candidates. Maybe South Glens Falls.

We can get a place at the base of West but it's expensive (way too big). What you're telling me about the rental market is the opposite of what I have heard, although the Skidmore part of the equation is something I haven't accounted for. I know that in S. VT rentals are way ahead of where they would normally be. I was told it's tough to even find anything at Stratton due to all the NYC people who will now be living there (for this year).
    Saratoga is expensive not far

West mountain is exit 18 and Saratoga is 15 it’s a twenty minute drive

Queensbury sucks unless you like Netflix and take out pizza

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have driven it. I thought it was closer to 25, but either way it's a fair amount of driving (40-50 minutes there and back--if it snows I assume 10-20 minutes longer each way). I will likely be at West 3 days/week and possibly 4-5 from 12/1 until they close (beginning of April)--6 or 7 days/week during two holiday weeks. So a lot of driving. Wouldn't be never, but I probably would rarely take too much advantage of the Saratoga scene (I am typically pretty worn out at the end of each day).

I can tell that Queensbury is...limited. Previous 10 years have been based out of Londonderry, VT, so I may be prepared for that (admittedly, Queensbury seems to lack Londonderry's charm, such as it is, and I always think of upstate NY as being pretty bleak). If I can find a decent house within a few minutes of the hill then I think I can live with the rest of it.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    God, that might be true.
    What the hell is the gaper thread?
    Not checking in Slide Zone. I have fresh batteries in my transceiver.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...73#post6042973