Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    State of Alaska
    Division of Wildlife Conservation
    Press Release

For Immediate Release

Black Bear DNA Matches Earlier Samples from Fatality Near Hope August 17, 2020 (Anchorage)- The Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) reports that DNA from one of the black bears killed near the site of a fatal bear attack matched samples collected during the investigation.

The initial attack that killed Daniel Schilling is believed to have been from a female brown bear. The cause of is still undetermined and may remain unknown whether it was a defensive or predatory attack. An empty bear spray canister with the safety removed was found at the attack location and the spray was discharged, but there were no witnesses to the events. No signs of cubs or a food cache were found in the area.

Sample analyses showed that both female brown bear and female black bear DNA were collected during the initial stages of investigation. The chance that a brown bear and a black bear were present at the site during the same time is unlikely. ADF&G believes that the black bear encountered Mr. Schilling’s body after he was deceased. The DNA that animal left behind matched one of the black bears killed a week later. Results from the other two black bears and brown bear killed by ADF&G were not a match for any samples collected. All bears killed were female and none were with cubs or showed any signs of lactation.

Bear attacks are rare and finding the DNA of two different bear species at the site makes it even more unusual. ADF&G will continue collecting samples when sealing brown bears harvested by hunters and those killed under Defense of Life or Property (DLP) regulations. The area where the attack occurred is remote with challenging terrain and limited access. Additional field operations are not planned at this time.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/...08-17-2020.pdf

Name:  E81E7D26-F7C5-4F0B-B701-E4E22859EA1A.jpeg
Views: 743
Size:  14.5 KB

Just got this on my news feed. Very heartbreaking.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...q4xcnJABachyoM

Yup, a damn shame. I hope her family gets through this ok. I would be crushed if that happened to my daughters.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    State of Alaska
    Division of Wildlife Conservation
    Press Release

For Immediate Release

Black Bear DNA Matches Earlier Samples from Fatality Near Hope August 17, 2020 (Anchorage)- The Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) reports that DNA from one of the black bears killed near the site of a fatal bear attack matched samples collected during the investigation.

The initial attack that killed Daniel Schilling is believed to have been from a female brown bear. The cause of is still undetermined and may remain unknown whether it was a defensive or predatory attack. An empty bear spray canister with the safety removed was found at the attack location and the spray was discharged, but there were no witnesses to the events. No signs of cubs or a food cache were found in the area.

Sample analyses showed that both female brown bear and female black bear DNA were collected during the initial stages of investigation. The chance that a brown bear and a black bear were present at the site during the same time is unlikely. ADF&G believes that the black bear encountered Mr. Schilling’s body after he was deceased. The DNA that animal left behind matched one of the black bears killed a week later. Results from the other two black bears and brown bear killed by ADF&G were not a match for any samples collected. All bears killed were female and none were with cubs or showed any signs of lactation.

Bear attacks are rare and finding the DNA of two different bear species at the site makes it even more unusual. ADF&G will continue collecting samples when sealing brown bears harvested by hunters and those killed under Defense of Life or Property (DLP) regulations. The area where the attack occurred is remote with challenging terrain and limited access. Additional field operations are not planned at this time.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/...08-17-2020.pdf
    Old joke, but a true one from the US AK park rangers; "When we track down a bear that has attacked and killed a human, we can easily id if the bear is the perp from the bear scat smelling of bear spray and having little bells in it."
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Seems odd for a black bear. Absolutely tragic. And still odd.

Hunter killed by bear in Wrangell-St. Elias died in ‘surprise attack’ while...

...field-dressing moose

Hunter killed by bear in Wrangell-St. Elias died in ‘surprise attack’ while field-dressing moose, officials say

he hunter killed by a grizzly bear in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve on Sunday was a 22-year-old man from Ohio who was field-dressing a moose when he died in an attack so sudden that he couldn’t defend himself, National Park Service officials say.

Austin Pfeiffer is the park’s first recorded victim of a fatal bear mauling since Wrangell-St. Elias was established in 1980. Wrangell-St. Elias National Park covers more than 13 million acres.

The attack took place in the Cottonwood Creek drainage, a remote area of mixed tundra and forest with dense vegetation about 50 miles from Northway and 130 miles from park headquarters.

Pfeiffer and his hunting partner, also from out of state, killed the moose Saturday night, according to Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve spokeswoman Jan Maslen. The next morning, the pair returned to field dress the moose and bring the meat back to camp.

Pfeiffer stayed behind to butcher the moose while his partner ferried loads to their campsite, Maslen said Thursday.

The partner, who has not been identified, was on his way back from camp when the bear charged him, Maslen said. He shot at the animal several times. At one point, it got within 20 feet. Then it flinched as if shot, then veered and ran away.

The partner found Pfeiffer dead when he got back to the moose carcass, Maslen said.

“We assume it was a surprise attack, that he was preparing the next load and didn’t have a weapon or deterrent on hand to defend himself,” she said.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wild...officials-say/

damn, traveling from ohio deep into AK is a really expensive way to get some meat

They were hunting in a National Park?

Chisana is in the National Preserve portion of the park which allows sport hunting (unit 12)

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    Chisana is in the National Preserve portion of the park which allows sport hunting (unit 12)
    You're a better journalist than I, wendigo Brown...

What can you say about a 22yo tree climber who was married, owned a home, and had the wherewithall to plan and almost execute a successful DIY Alaskan moose hunt?... Sounds way more man than the kid one might conjure strictly by his name and age and home state...
    It really heightens the tragedy when special people are taken.

Austin Pfeiffer, who would have been 23 on Tuesday, was an avid outdoorsman who was reportedly field-dressing a moose he had just taken when the bear attacked near the Chisana River in the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve.

https://www.richlandsource.com/news/mansfield-hunter-22-killed-by-grizzly-bear-during-alaskan-moose-hunt/article_c2f378d0-fd98-11ea-8b70-d340c05ec252.html

Not attack related, but these relocated/rescued bears do product testing:

https://www.outsideonline.com/241721...DnP27iMgwISVvs
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

I almost hit a bear on my MTB today. Coming down a flowy section hot, he comes out of the brush heading away from me. I slam on the brakes, do a full skid and scare the shit out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I almost hit a bear on my MTB today. Coming down a flowy section hot, he comes out of the brush heading away from me. I slam on the brakes, do a full skid and scare the shit out of him.
    Nice save!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...nal-preserves/

I will never be able to understand how someone could draw pleasure from killing a mother bear emerging from hibernation with her cubs.
    In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    The comments are pretty much gold

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/a...nal-preserves/

I will never be able to understand how someone could draw pleasure from killing a mother bear emerging from hibernation with her cubs.
    Small penis usually explains it.
    I still call it The Jake.

I thought it was no friends on powder days and when bears and sharks attack?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    That happened to me this summer. Twice. And on my motorcycle.

On the first account, I was riding around the SW portion of Mt St Helens on a rather rustic and old roadbed. Came around the corner and saw it 50 yards down the trail. It saw me and loped off into the bushes. I stopped for a minute before the primal fear took over and realized that a sow may be nearby as this bear wasn't very big. I hauled ass.

The next time, I was riding near Hood River, up Mt Hood. Through a sparsely wooded hollow, I see this black thing moving quickly into my field of vision from the right. It hits the road right in front of me, close enough that I see the dust kicked up around its paws as it moved across the road and the whites of its eyes. Crazy.