Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    30 minutes is bullshit. Whoever made that rule is stupid. Trying to enforce it on people is lame. Join a club ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    in greenpoint the agro polish dudes just wander into your court and start aggressively stretching and waving their rackets. they’ll get in the doubles lane and if you don’t defend the court start warming in the service box. they’re there to fight or play tennis and they don’t particularly care about the order. glad i never got into a fight with an old man though.

in nyc you had to pay for tickets or get a season pass to use the courts at paragon which i thought was bullshit when everything else in the parks was free. and paragon was annoying, with their fleet of groomer skis.

anyway, i put some photoshop skills to work and made a fake id tennis pass for a few years. eventually one of the checkers noticed it and suggested i leave without making a scene. i liked her, she was cute, but i don’t think i’ve played tennis since.
    I really want to go over to Greenpoint now just to see this scene. I also wonder if they've replaced the ticket checker since then as well.

Weak gif. this is how you do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kS68T6ptA
    "Can't you see..."

I can just picture the OP getting clowned on by the geriatrics at the local courts. This feels like a scene from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Trying to break up a game in the middle of it is poor form. That analogy of it being the equivalent of telling a bunch of little leaguers to finish up in the 4th is spot on. Just figure out who is furthest along, pick that court and wait like everyone else.
    Live Free or Die

I don't play tennis, but 30 minutes is bullshit.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Is Public tennis etiquette different than private? Never played on a public court- 🤨<ducks bottle flying at head>

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    in greenpoint the agro polish dudes just wander into your court and start aggressively stretching and waving their rackets. they’ll get in the doubles lane and if you don’t defend the court start warming in the service box. they’re there to fight or play tennis and they don’t particularly care about the order. glad i never got into a fight with an old man though.

in nyc you had to pay for tickets or get a season pass to use the courts at paragon which i thought was bullshit when everything else in the parks was free. and paragon was annoying, with their fleet of groomer skis.

anyway, i put some photoshop skills to work and made a fake id tennis pass for a few years. eventually one of the checkers noticed it and suggested i leave without making a scene. i liked her, she was cute, but i don’t think i’ve played tennis since.
    This whole thing is hilarious- I want party with that guy^

No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

30 mins, and finish that game. You hop on for 30 mins while first group takes water, chats, etc. After 30 mins, first group hops back on and plays for 30.

2 "sets" in 90 mins. Don't like it? Go find an area/time with less crowded courts.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Is Public tennis etiquette different than private? Never played on a public court- ��<ducks bottle flying at head>
    Are you serious? I don't think I've ever played on a private court!

I've seen public courts with a 30min limit for singles, 1 hr for doubles. If your courts are that busy find new courts or play at odd times. If you can't, I would highly advise joining a club. Your game will get better, it's easy to find opponents, and you won't have to deal with a ridiculously short amount of court time. They generally range in prices so you should be able to find one that meets your budget.

It wasn't until I started paragliding that I discovered how many empty tennis courts there are in Boulder and other places I fly. Everybody knows about the empty tennis courts at parks or right off the road, but that's just scratching the surface. There's about 10 times as many empty courts that are visible from the sky, 3-5 in every neighborhood.

So, I'm confused. People actually play tennis? I thought the courts were just a status symbol. Not until covid did I ever see anybody playing tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    It wasn't until I started paragliding that I discovered how many empty tennis courts there are in Boulder and other places I fly. Everybody knows about the empty tennis courts at parks or right off the road, but that's just scratching the surface. There's about 10 times as many empty courts that are visible from the sky, 3-5 in every neighborhood.

So, I'm confused. People actually play tennis? I thought the courts were just a status symbol. Not until covid did I ever see anybody playing tennis.
    Yes, people play tennis. Lots of the courts suck and that's why people congregate at the good ones that don't have giants cracks running through them. Your point that many courts go unused is correct, but it's not as cut and dried as you make it sound.

I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yes, people play tennis. Lots of the courts suck and that's why people congregate at the good ones that don't have giants cracks running through them. Your point that many courts go unused is correct, but it's not as cut and dried as you make it sound.
    When I was on the tennis team in high school in downtown Detroit the courts were in the center of a cinder (really) running track. The baselines were the concrete curb of the track, which was several inches lower than the court surface. There was a crack so big that balls would get stuck in it. Mostly we practiced at the coaches condo complex nearby.

Are you serious? I don't think I've ever played on a private court!
    Really? I grew up in Minnesota. In the winter if you wanted to play you had to join a health club with indoor courts. Some of these places had like a dozen or more indoor courts. My family played a lot. I don't recall that it was very expensive. If it had been, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have joined. Where I live now in Montana we have a bubble with 4 indoor courts. It's not that expensive either. My kid takes lessons there all winter and I'm actually surprised at how reasonable it is, compared to other youth sports.

I prefer crappy courts to the aggravation you put up with

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Really? I grew up in Minnesota. In the winter if you wanted to play you had to join a health club with indoor courts. Some of these places had like a dozen or more indoor courts. My family played a lot. I don't recall that it was very expensive. If it had been, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have joined. Where I live now in Montana we have a bubble with 4 indoor courts. It's not that expensive either. My kid takes lessons there all winter and I'm actually surprised at how reasonable it is, compared to other youth sports.
    OK, I have played at my university's indoor facility back when I was in college, so I guess that counts as private. Yeah, if you're someone who wants to play year round and you live in an area where outdoor tennis isn't really possible for a significant part of the year then I can see why you'd want to join a club. But I also think it's kind of cool how cheap tennis can be if you use public courts. Pick up a second-hand racquet and a couple cans of balls and you're good to go.

I've hardly ever played tennis for less than an hour and a half. 30 minutes? What? That's a crazy rule.

Around here there are several public courts within a few minute's drive of each other. If the courts are full you ask how long they'll be and decide to wait or not accordingly. I have also seen reservation systems, which are great. But come on, you should be able to play 2 sets of tennis no matter what the system- I'd much rather do that once a week than 3 30 minute sessions a week (jeez you'd spend more time going to and fro the court and showering than actually playing tennis)
    Last edited by Tele 'til You're Smelly; 08-12-2020 at 02:01 PM.

I was mostly being facetious, but there does seem to be an inordinate amount of tennis courts sitting vacant. I don't think they're unused because of cracks. Were there more tennis players in the 80s and 90s when they got built in all these neighborhoods? Was it a cheap and easy way for developers to boost prices and sales?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Or you could do the intelligent thing and play hockey. Minnesota is where they play hockey indoors in the summer instead of tennis indoors in the winter. (But yeah, hockey isn't cheap.)