Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Golf Clubs For a Poor Man

I played for my city as a junior, pretty damn near scratch. These days, golf is expensive!! I recently played in Idaho, and the clubs were horrible. I'm 6'2", so I'm guessing my shafts were too short on the rental clubs(I know, I know, short shafts). Consistently topping the ball, guessing I need custom shafts.

Are there any specific clubs I should be looking at? I own a pair of Titleist x...18's? Should I just re-shaft those? Is tech like with skiing or other things, where you need something more recent?

I saw that new club company that sends you a beginner set and skips even(or odd) clubs. But that was, I don't know, $699? Seems like you should be able to put together a set for less than that.

Feedback welcome.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

6'2 is maybe just a little taller than what standard length clubs are meant for (I think norm is considered 5'8 - 6'1?). So for irons you could look for anything +.5" to +1". Driver you don't need anything longer than stock..
    Unless you're going to reshaft them yourself (and even then) it really isn't worth it to keep what you have. You'd be spending at least $20-$30 per club for shaft + grip.
    ebay, craigslist are your friend. Globalgolf / 2ndswing / callaway preowned can have some really nice deals as well. Go back a couple generations of irons/woods from any manufacturer and you won't be missing out on anything. You could put together a really nice bag for ~$500-700 (there are lots of threads on such at GolfWRX).

Ex:
    Driver: Ping G25/G30 / Cobra F6/F7 / Taylormade M2 - $150-$200
    Irons: Biggest choice you'll have to make here. Depends if you want more game improvementy sort of irons or more towards players irons. Globalgolf has a set of Srixon Z765s +.5" for $369. Almost ridiculous not to jump on that if it's in your price range - one of the best feeling non blade irons you can find.
    Wedges: I wouldn't pay more than $50-$70 per club, and that's for mint / new condition. Callaway preowned always has deals on wedges ~$60 for like new. I just picked up an unused Cleveland RTX3 on ebay for $50..
    Putter: Whatever - keep your old one if you still like it.

Obviously if you want to go cheaper than that.. driver is far and away where you'll benefit from getting something more modern in that $150 range. Irons you could easily go cheaper, not much has changed here. I could game my 23 year old Callaway Big Bertha's and not lose anything other than feel.

Used is the way to go. Lots of no longer with us golfers and those clubs don't really wear out.

I had a set of Ping Eye-2s given to me for a case of Stella. Re-gripped them myself and they are pretty nice.

Bought a set of 3 Ping metal woods used online for < 200 bucks.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I’ll echo that used is the way to go. Check out Goodwill. You might get lucky, although lots of guys prowl there looking for deals.

Most golf stores sell used clubs, as well. And there’s always eBay, etc.

The reason you are topping the ball probably has little to do with the length of your shafts. You might gain more from a lesson with a pro.

Well, I’m no one to lecture about that. I need to set up a lesson myself.

Used is definitely the way to go. I was lucky enough to buy a beautiful set of irons from a semi-private cc that advertised online. Members would buy new clubs, rarely use them and get rid of them through the pro there... then buy new stuff and do it all over again. Bought my Taylor Made M2 driver from the pile of used demo clubs at dick's sporting goods.

The irons (2-pw) I bought were $200. Tried them out and realized I wanted the extra-stiff shafts replaced with stiff and new grips. Another ~$30 per club. So a used but like new set cost me ~$500. I really wanted these clubs and it was worth it to me to have the extra costs involved. Did all that about 25 years ago and I'm still using those same irons.

btw- I'm 6" 2" tall and use standard length shafts in my clubs. Maybe I have gorilla arms?

Others have covered much of it but there's good options out there. To get good quality I prefer looking for higher end models that are a year or two old. Picked up a set of "outlet" clubs from Callaway preowned off Ebay for my kid. Cheaper on ebay than their own website. Arrived brand new with heads and grips still wrapped in plastic.

Yeah, this is the shit. I already guessed topping was a direct result of short shafts. I've always been able to do shot analysis on each shot, but the round in Idaho was horrible. You guys, per the usual, rock.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Yeah, this is the shit. I already guessed topping was a direct result of short shafts. I've always been able to do shot analysis on each shot, but the round in Idaho was horrible. You guys, per the usual, rock.
    If you can put the club head behind the ball at address, there’s no reason you can’t get it there at impact, too. You are probably changing your spine angle, or otherwise moving improperly during the swing. It’s a swing problem, not a club problem.

I don't agree. I think if you address, you'll straighten up through the swing. Or maybe not. I don't really know. I just know what I saw.

It has a bit also to do with both inseam length for the shaft length and as stated arm length. I am 6' 0" and have a set of irons that are 1" and still sometimes thing I should go a bit more in length because there are times I too top the ball and stand up through the swing and not keep my knees bent enough (just like skiing the dorsal flex and how deep of a bend you can do differs)

I'd look at used or if you have to have a specific set figure out what you want in shaft length, stiffness and then head over to the various sites that sell used and match what you determine you want for irons. Woods can be a bit easier. most all the new metal irons are long enough that at least for the driver- stock works for me. The loft degree can be one of the most important items you want.

Used. No doubt. But used that fit you. Buy them at a golf shop if you don’t know what you need.

Also, get a fitting at a golf shop. Once you know you are 1” long and or 2 degrees upright, etc, that’s your club.

Also, reshafting isnt needed to go long. You can have a butt plug installed and regrip

I’m 6’4” and a hack, but I’ve played regular clubs on occasion, and it sucks. I have to squat, trying to keep my chest stable with knees bent. Otherwise the toe digs in and opens the club.
    If I swing without squatting, with a short club, I don’t top the ball. The toe hits first.

I suspect technique is an issue if you are topping.

As to clubs, cavity backs are for hacks. Blades are for pros. I went in the middle with a muscle back. Harder to hit than cavity, but more satisfying click boom when you get it right.
    . . .

Getting clubs fitted at a pro was the biggest improvement in my game. The slight extra cost was worth it. You have cheaper options than name brands for heads if you don't care about the "looks" at the country club for not having name brands. I didn't notice that the clubs weren't name brand when I was hitting it where I wanted. I think I was all in for under $700 3-pw.

Then the clubs got stolen. Now I play, rarely, with a set of ping irons that are not fitted to me, but play ok. If I start playing more again I'll go back to a fitter. Since my last fitting I've had shoulder surgery and my range of motion is different.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Lots of golf training aids out there. But the orange whip is cheap and good for feeling the loading and unloading. I like it just to loosen up before play.

Keep your head down until after you connect.
    Think about the center of your chest as a pivot point that does not move.

Topping is usually picking up your head and or chest.
    . . .

Yeah, I tried all that shit. If it were something I was doing before, it wouldn't frustrate me. Remember, just keep your head down, then you start connecting. I'm almost thinking hammy tightness or gout in the right ankle is making me come up early. Whatever is going on now is something I never had before, and that's why it's killing me. I used to have a set of Mark Calcavechia's clubs, and those were not forgiving in the least. These cavity back irons are usually a breeze to play with, but I still can't hit for shit. The par three in GG Park is walking distance, so I may head over tomorrow and try to straighten some things out. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Yeah, I tried all that shit. If it were something I was doing before, it wouldn't frustrate me. Remember, just keep your head down, then you start connecting. I'm almost thinking hammy tightness or gout in the right ankle is making me come up early. Whatever is going on now is something I never had before, and that's why it's killing me. I used to have a set of Mark Calcavechia's clubs, and those were not forgiving in the least. These cavity back irons are usually a breeze to play with, but I still can't hit for shit. The par three in GG Park is walking distance, so I may head over tomorrow and try to straighten some things out. Thanks again for all the feedback.
    Lower your expectations and you'll have more fun. Golf is like shooting pool, or darts, or horseshoes or even skiing... you have to do it regularly to be consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Lower your expectations and you'll have more fun. Golf is like shooting pool, or darts, or horseshoes or even skiing... you have to do it regularly to be consistent.
    I agree with this 100%, but having the correct length clubs for my 6ft 3in body, has made golf a lot more fun and easier to play casually.

I went the custom fitting route and it was worth every penny. Always was to haggle to save some money, I didn’t when I got my clubs but would if I started playing a lot and got more consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

6'2 is only 1 inch taller than what's suggested for a standard club length. Your height suggests a club .25 inch longer. No big deal for someone who had your game as a kid.
    https://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.c...ubfitting.aspx

I got to a 9 HC with decent used clubs that were 3/4 " shorter than standard. But I practiced more than I played. I'm playing to a 12 now with System 3000 irons that I got fitted for. The clubmaker said every measurement was standard for me. I've aged into the soft flex of the System 3000 driver I found on the golf course 15 yeas ago. You can still find them on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/115280/i.ht...em+3000+driver

Keep your head steady. Swing easy, let the club head do the work. And only tell your wife every other time you play.

If your thinning shots Pretend there is a dime under the ball and you want to see it.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I agree with this 100%, but having the correct length clubs for my 6ft 3in body, has made golf a lot more fun and easier to play casually.

Point taken, that should've been more obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    6'2 is only 1 inch taller than what's suggested for a standard club length. Your height suggests a club .25 inch longer. No big deal for someone who had your game as a kid.
    https://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.c...ubfitting.aspx

I got to a 9 HC with decent used clubs that were 3/4 " shorter than standard. But I practiced more than I played. I'm playing to a 12 now with System 3000 irons that I got fitted for. The clubmaker said every measurement was standard for me. I've aged into the soft flex of the System 3000 driver I found on the golf course 15 yeas ago. You can still find them on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/115280/i.ht...em+3000+driver

Keep your head steady. Swing easy, let the club head do the work. And only tell your wife every other time you play.

If your thinning shots Pretend there is a dime under the ball and you want to see it.
    The +.25 for a 6' 1" to 6' 2" is only 1 part of that chart. The more important is probably the floor to wrist measurement which takes into account the inseam length and arm lengths and probably is more accurate than just saying someone 6' 2" only needs a +.25 shaft. Just like bicycle fitting with the inseam to torso ratio or backpack fitting, it is never all about how tall you are overall.

Vijay Singh is 6' 2" feet in height and learned and played with regular length clubs from what I have read and heard. He looks like he is really down with his knees and bent over in the upper body, but obviously he made it work for a career for number of years.

Yep. That's why I linked the chart. I'll stand by my advice of practicing more than you play and only telling your wife about half of your rounds. I went from 5 over to finish 2 under once with those clubs that were 3/4 " short. And I'm not that good. Golf is weird. Success is in your head.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Golf is weird.
    Agreed

Poor man’s MP-20s

I'd recommend a starter set made by Wilson, Tommy Armour, Top Flite etc. GTF Comes with a bag and a full set of clubs for a good price. They are surprisingly good clubs and being where you are in your game, you wont need to buy an expensive set until you're shooting around 80-90. Just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyFabulous View Post
    I'd recommend a starter set made by Wilson, Tommy Armour, Top Flite etc. GTF Comes with a bag and a full set of clubs for a good price. They are surprisingly good clubs and being where you are in your game, you wont need to buy an expensive set until you're shooting around 80-90. Just my 2c.

A starter set for someone that was near scratch? Used clubs are too good and too cheap to fool around w starter sets. I'd rather have some ping, taylormade, or callaway tech in my bag, especially hybrids and woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    A starter set for someone that was near scratch? Used clubs are too good and too cheap to fool around w starter sets. I'd rather have some ping, taylormade, or callaway tech in my bag, especially hybrids and woods.
    If you are near scratch, what are you doing messing around with starter sets?

Lightly used clubs or get fitted for some that will be good for you for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    If you are near scratch, what are you doing messing around with starter sets?

Lightly used clubs or get fitted for some that will be good for you for a long time.

The OP was "near scratch" as a kid. I was an 8 HI at my best so nowhere near scratch.