Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Minor moral dilemma

I already know which way I'm leaning, but thought I'd toss this one on the fire:

I ordered two (relatively) inexpensive chromebooks from [unnamed local big box store] for the kids to start up distance learning in a couple weeks because the situation that we had in the spring isn't going to hold up for the fall. The store magically duplicated my order and sent me four chromebooks, but only charged me for two. Now I'm usually the type of guy that believes in 'Bank error in your favor' when it comes to big box stores, but I've never lucked out to the tune of more than $50. This is closer to $1,000 worth of merch. I checked up on the website and it only shows the one order number. CC bill only has one charge. They sent two emails with the same order number when I placed the order, so I guess their system just duplicated the order. I don't even think some warehouse picker is going to get in trouble for this. Checking back on the website, this item doesn't even show up anymore, so it seems like I grabbed it right before they discontinued it.

The options as I see them:

1. Hold onto the extras because these kids are going to break them at some point and I'll have a replacement on hand
    2. Return it to [big box store], explain they doubled my order and ask for some kind of paperwork showing I returned their fuckup in case figure it out and charge me (which I believe is illegal). Maybe they'll give me a gift card for honesty, but probably not.
    3. Give them away. I know another family with two kids in school. They're using the school's loaner chromebooks and those machines are in poor shape. Even once things get back to normal, those kids won't have laptops and they're getting to the ages where they'll need them. Our kids are friends and I know this is an expense their family couldn't afford, but I believe they would be very well received.

WWMD?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

My .02 cents is that you should keep em. Those stores have loss like that built into their business model.

Edit: option 3

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Option 3 sounds good. You'll be a modern day Robin Hood.

I’ve had amazon ship me two of the same item before. I kept it and they didn’t notice. Another time they shipped a package which was lost via fedex. A replacement was sent and also lost. The third package arrived and a few weeks later one of the originals showed up as well. Once it they realized it was delivered they sent me a notification that if I didn’t return it within a certain time period I would be charged. I needed the second one and they did charge me for it. If you decide to keep them I would hold onto them for a bit.

I'd send them back, karma and all.......

Add: Also a good life lesson/example for your kids
    Last edited by KQ; 08-06-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Return them and pocket the cash.

Buy cocaine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Option 4: Contact them via email if you ordered on line through their web site. State that you received 2 confirmations for the SINGLE order of 2 Chromebooks. The order was processed and they sent you 4. Ask for their direction on returning them- including a return shipping label(s) prepaid. If the send the label(s) then you ship them back. If they do not respond, you tried and after a reasonable time then you can do with the duplicates what you want.

^^ This

Nah; sue their fuckin' ass for false advertising and mental anguish.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

Buy cocaine.
    This is genius, but I'm with KQ and RShea.

Jeez. No-win situation. The right thing to do is return them, but that will probably be more trouble than it's worth. Option 3 is appealing.

#3. For the greater good.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Option 4: Contact them via email if you ordered on line through their web site. State that you received 2 confirmations for the SINGLE order of 2 Chromebooks. The order was processed and they sent you 4. Ask for their direction on returning them- including a return shipping label(s) prepaid. If the send the label(s) then you ship them back. If they do not respond, you tried and after a reasonable time then you can do with the duplicates what you want.
    This. Then #3.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Yeah... They don't have a customer service email. Just a phone number or option to return it to the store.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

You have to ask yourself just one question; "Can I sleep at night?"
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Buy cocaine.
    You were half correct. Hookers and blow, dude. They go hand in hand.

Thats enough replies OP. What was your first feelings.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    You have to ask yourself just one question; "Can I sleep at night?"
    If the store is Best Buy, just consider it payback for driving all those other small electronics stores out of business.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

If he's having a moral dilemma about this the whole paying for sex and drugs thing is clearly out the window. I say play Robin Hood. But you're not allowed to feel good for free. After you play Robin Hood, decide how good that made you feel, assign a dollar value to that, and give twice that dollar value to a charity that you think sucks. Like Shar Pei Rescue or something. edit: I don't hate Shar Peis, I was under the gun to think of something, sorry.

Karma will be in your favor when all is said and done if you follow my instructions. If you're confused, send me money and I'll explain it.

It’s the store you order with a burger? Fuck em. Or return it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Yeah... They don't have a customer service email. Just a phone number or option to return it to the store.
    So it is best buy. I hate them as much as the next guy, and would sleep like a baby if their incompetence went in my, or my friends' kids' favor, but I might be a little worried that their internal auditing would catch the mistake, and just charge my card for the extra computers.

Buy cocaine.

I like your style

...but I'd just give the extras back to Mr Box and hope for karmic alignment

4 then 3.

And thanks for reminding me to order my daughter a chromebook...

I heard the loaners were kinda beat.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    So it is best buy. I hate them as much as the next guy, and would sleep like a baby if their incompetence went in my, or my friends' kids' favor, but I might be a little worried that their internal auditing would catch the mistake, and just charge my card for the extra computers.
    Weird question, but are you English? Just curious.

edit: not a completely random question kiddies

Pay it forward with #3. Edjumakation is priceless.

In the unlikely event they wise up and come after ya, plead ignorance, 'cuz you have an e-paper trail that kinda sorta "proves" your innocence. In the even more unlikely event that some bored person at Big Box decides to come after you and they try to make ya pay, fight 'em. In the even more more more unlikely event that you lose and end up paying (maybe with a settlement that is less than $500) write it off as a good deed paid forward. Unless you can't afford the $500 in the very very very unlikely event they prosecute you and are successful.

But don't do it if you're Black or Brown or Muslim. Skoug will doxx and SWAT ya and they'll shoot your dog.