Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Jer was the authority on all things Owl if I remember correctly.

Who takes his place, DIYSteve?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Are these shit-gophers? Maybe you should ask Mr Lahey.
    Shit birds Randy, shit birds.

We need to know what kind of neighborhood you live in. That will determine what kind of firearms or explosives we can work with.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Rural; 6 acre parcels. Nearest neighbor is 150 yards away; nobody can really see my yard . Whachoo recommend?

Walla Walla firm's gopher-eradication setup breaks new ground in pest control

Paul Zimmerman of Z Pest Control operates his Gopher X machine in a vineyard off Braden Road. The machine is a legal method to kill gophers and voles and works by venting carbon monoxide into gopher burrows. Depending on the size of the rodent, Zimmerman said it takes about three to six minutes of venting, which results in the animal falling asleep and dying underground.

Paul Zimmerman of Z Pest Control operates his Gopher X machine in a vineyard off Braden Road

Gopher X.

That name might conjure an image of a bucktooth rodent zooming in a bubble-topped flying saucer to save the world in a kid’s movie.

The real Gopher X, however, is not the least bit gopher friendly.

Gopher X is also the reason that on a rainy morning in June, Paul Zimmerman of Z Pest Control unloaded his gopher-eradication machine into a vineyard just off Braden Road.

Zimmerman explained that he can’t do much pest spraying on rainy days. But the precipitation didn’t keep him from cranking on the 6.5-horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine used to eradicate burrowing pests.

“It works very well on gophers and voles but not so much on moles,” Zimmerman said, noting that fortunately moles don’t cause as many problems in gardens. But gophers and voles do. And the latter seem to be on the upswing.

“The voles, they seem to follow peaks in cycles for their populations.” Zimmerman said. “And right now they seem to be nearing high numbers in their cycles.”

In the old days, Zimmerman would have set grip traps to catch the varmints. But in 2000, use of most grip traps — which clamp onto an animal’s body — became illegal for certain uses in Washington. And, Zimmerman noted, various poisons have also been eliminated over the years because of the threat they pose to humans.

But there is one odorless and colorless gas that is quite deadly, and as common as a combustion engine.

It turns out carbon monoxide, or common engine exhaust, is just as deadly to rodents as it is to humans. And the Gopher X engine is designed to pump the carbon monoxide it produces into a gopher hole via a tube attached to the exhaust pipe.

Once Zimmerman finds the gopher tunnel, he inserts the tube and cranks on the engine. After three to six minutes of exhaust, he is finished, as are the gophers.

Zimmerman adds color to the exhaust so he can spot it if it vents out through a tunnel opening.

It should be noted that gophers aren’t always considered pests.

According to the Department of Fish and Wildlife, gopher tunnels can keep the ground from getting compacted. And in the mountains, their tunnels help to collect rain and snow melt, thus reducing runoff and erosion.

In addition, some animals rely on gopher tunnels for shelter, while others rely on the gophers for food.

Some species, like the Mazama pocket gopher on the West Side, are endangered and protected, which means no Gopher X for them.

But the common pocket gopher predominates the East Side of the state. Problems they cause include the destruction of plant roots, damage to underground irrigation lines and unwanted holes in pastures.

Grip traps are still allowed to reduce their numbers. But land owners wanting to use a grip trap must first get a waiver from Fish and Wildlife officials.

Gopher X, however, is legal, and lethal.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Rural; 6 acre parcels. Nearest neighbor is 150 yards away; nobody can really see my yard . Whachoo recommend?
    Firearms and explosives, duh.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Firearms and explosives, duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by stayhighstaydry View Post

22 longs work great. Never tried dry ice but it sounds a lot better then poisons.
    Mags already answered your question.

Or really any other method described in this thread.

17 Mach 2. Possibly the best gopher round ever made, better than 22LR as it has less chance of ricochet and it blows them really good.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I think you can’t kill golfers. Go with pest control castle rock services to get rid of those irritating pests.
    Last edited by lonesrhia; 08-14-2022 at 10:04 PM.

At least you do not have giant spiders. Amirite?

watch out for snakes

A suppressed 300blk works wonders on the moles in my backyard.

Last edited by Bobby Stainless; 08-12-2022 at 05:05 AM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Moles ain't gophers, Voles ain't Moles.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"