Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Risky Behaviour

Risky Behaviour

How do I get my girlfriend into skiing(and get her ripping like me)? Does it work? Or am I mad? How did you or people you know do it& what made it work?

Girlfriend’s family has a cabin in the woods at a small BC resort & we may get seasons passes. With school being online I figure this is a great time to spend a week at a time at the cabin & get her skiing again. She skied 5-10 days/year as a kid but stopped as an early teen. We are early 20’s now. I figure she needs a few trips this year of skiing at least 3/4 days in a row to see any progression & build a base. I know she’s gotta hit at least 20-30 days to make real progress& gain confidence for the following season. We agree that it’s not about trying it out for one day but an entire season to really give it a shot.

We are on the bike &doing legs/core workouts lots for crushing crowdless pow laps when she gets the skiing feeling back.

I have a pair of atomics for her with demo bindings that seem like an easy ski to ski-hopefully learning to. I don’t think she needs a 6 pair quiver quite yet

Any wisdom out there? Am I being a fool for trying?

My life is better than your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by GrantN View Post

I have a pair of atomics for her
    Are they the red ones?

How do I get my girlfriend into skiing(and get her ripping like me)? Does it work?

She skied 5-10 days/year as a kid but stopped as an early teen. We are early 20’s now.
    Uhhhh, tech talk?

Sounds to me like you need a new girlfriend.

Any wisdom out there? Am I being a fool for trying?
    Dump her ass. Yes you are.

Girlfriend pics or GTFO

Well, since we know nothing about her personality it's a dumb idea but that cabin sounds nice. Ski the morning alone, ski with her in the afternoon and go slow.

Man, you guys are slipping.

pending pics, you should probably just let me spend time with her at said cabin

It does work, but it takes at least a decade so I hope you plan to marry her. Put her in lessons as step 1 if you value the relationship.

My wife is from Taiwan, never skied, and couldn't even stand on skis the first day without falling over. She did about 2 years of lessons at Boreal starting in '99. By 2009 she could ski some double blacks. There were 2 ACL surgeries involved in getting there. By 2015 she could ski powder fairly well, so 16 years. A young person your age should progress a lot faster though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00376.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	336417
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Lol, never heard this one before. Good luck dude... you are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Edit to add: are you seriously gonna make her use your shitty old skis? I hope they are red, at least

they either rip or they don't, they either wana ski too much or they don't and that could go for men or women

but a free cabin, a family that skis, ditch her with the fam and go ripping sounds ideal setup to me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Pics or gtfo

Red ones

It is much easier if they already rip and are addicted. My attempts at conversion have been mostly futile, though there was an exception!
    Really though, ski technology has made it super easy to get to a decent level fast with a fairly athletic person. Your wife, she likes sports right. A sporty little thing, yes? Likes photos does she?....cue python skit.

Used to be I'd preach learning to snowboard over skis to get good fast, it's not like that now.

But really, photos would be very helpful here.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

It's a lot like alcohol and drug rehab. She has to want to do it and professional guidance is required. Don't teach her. Give advice only if asked. If you ski with her let her pick the runs. Let an instructor decide when she's ready for something harder. Skiing with you should be for fun, not instruction. What model and length are the Atomics. If they are your old skis they are almost certainly too stiff and too long.

Why did she quit if her family had a cabin at a ski area? Family pressure? Don't duplicate it. If she just isn't athletic enough or is very risk averse it's doubtful she'll enjoy it no matter what you do. My guess would be the former. If she comes from a skiing family she probably has the genes to do well at it. Number one reason for a teenager to quit a sport is family pressure to succeed.

Risky Behaviour

I’d echo most of what old goat said. Don’t make it a prerequisite to having fun with you... and don’t make her feel like she’s missing out by not skiing at your level.

I got my ex wife into it to the point where she could ski fairly well. Not ripping, but she could have fun about anywhere. Unfortunately, her weirdly aggressive personality carried over into this and she was not remotely fun to ski with, so what used to be an escape became just another couples activity.

My girlfriend is working on it. Slowly. She’s very athletic but we aren’t in our 20’s. Only one season under our belt that was shut down by COVID, and she’s still fairly timid after being overconfident and knocking herself on the head. We’ll see how it goes. I had big hopes for spring skiing in the sunshine.
    Last edited by Mustonen; 08-06-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    focus.

Also, think about whether or not you want your potential life partner/mother of your children to be your ski partner. It would be shitty to have to dig her blue, mangled corpse out of a bunch of avy debris, or for her to have to do the same for you.

Having a couple degrees of emotional separation from adventure partners makes a lot of sense, IMO.

Where does the "Risky Behaviour"(sic) come into play?

Skiing?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Lol at the thread title.

As others have already said: Conversion is very very difficult. Happens once in a blue moon. Men have tried for decades and most have failed.

Old goat said it well. She needs to want it. She needs to be bugging you to buy ski mags and watch ski movies and go to the cabin.

Either accept the fact that she probably will never be a big skier or get a new GF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Where does the "Risky Behaviour"(sic) come into play?

Skiing?
    That may be the act of posting to TGR for relationship advice...

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Also, think about whether or not you want your potential life partner/mother of your children to be your ski partner. It would be shitty to have to dig her blue, mangled corpse out of a bunch of avy debris, or for her to have to do the same for you.

Having a couple degrees of emotional separation from adventure partners makes a lot of sense, IMO.
    To put it another way--if you do wind up marrying this woman and having children with her--do you want to spend half of your ski day in the lodge with the babies and toddlers, half a day skiing greens with them when they're older while your wife is out slaying the gnar, or do you want the kids at home with their non-skiing mom? Do you want to have to take the kids with you o a family ski trip or do you want to do ski trips with your bros?

But, there is a ski cabin involved.

skiing is actualy a very small part of the whole life partner thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

To increase probability of success, prepare to sell at least one testicle and spend the proceeds on equipment and lessons (both of her choosing). It’s expensive, I’ve been through it.

Perhaps a different perspective is in order:
    How many marriage proposals occur due to skiing?
    How many divorces occur due to skiing?
    So ...... do ya feel lucky (punk)?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    skiing is actualy a very small part of the whole life partner thing
    Sure, but recreation isn’t. Figuring out how you guys spend free time, together and apart, is actually a really big deal.
    focus.