Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Risky Behaviour

I just invited my future ex-wife to join us, usually she declined. She came from a similar background as yours. When she was along and the Thingz were younger I just called it a family ski day and spent the day differently than I would have solo or with homies. And I enjoyed the shit out of those days. And the Thingz turned out to be OK skiers.

Let her decide what she wants to do. If you have a woman who doesn't support your love of some activity, even if she's less interested than you, get a different partner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    If you have a woman who doesn't support your love of some activity, even if she's less interested than you, get a different partner.
    Oftpiste speaks the truth: this is the crux of it.

Having a spouse who supports you is the main thing

one of my ski buds who posts here is often skiing the local hill completely fucked out of his mind at midnight, he fucked up her skis so its a good thing she is not much of a skier and she seems fine with it all

another ski bud is a very hot pro skier always on the road doing ski weekends or hosting TV gigs and her hubby is fine with it, he is merely a pretty good skier

whatever you got now things will change and if you gotta change with them or else
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Does she really want to learn to ski for herself or is it just something she sees as a couples activity to do with you? If it isn't the latter, tread lightly.

If she does want to learn just for herself push her gently to take some lessons to relearn the basics. It sounds like she at least has some level of base knowledge from her childhood and a couple private lessons will make a huge difference. I've only ever seen one couple survive the, "I'm going to personally teach my girlfriend how to ski" thing... and she was super into learning the sport. So much so that she spent a year working as a liftie to make it happen.

Good luck, and be sure she is riding the red ones.
    Last edited by ASmileyFace; 08-07-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Where does the "Risky Behaviour"(sic) come into play?

Skiing?
    Poopenhausen

Other than lessons, get her hooked up with a chick ski group.

Wife was a great ice coast skier. Couldn’t hang out west.

Then she started skiing with the hot JH chicks.
    Her style and skills went big mountain ripper in a hurry
    . . .

Lessons not by you
    Women’s days and events
    Encourage but don’t have expectations
    Do not try to get a ripper
    If on bunny slopes be a beginner have fun and don’t try teach. See point 1
    Understand it may never happen and ski anyways.
    Don’t think you have the answers
    And skiing should be fun

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    It does work, but it takes at least a decade so I hope you plan to marry her. Put her in lessons as step 1 if you value the relationship.

My wife is from Taiwan, never skied, and couldn't even stand on skis the first day without falling over. She did about 2 years of lessons at Boreal starting in '99. By 2009 she could ski some double blacks. There were 2 ACL surgeries involved in getting there. By 2015 she could ski powder fairly well, so 16 years. A young person your age should progress a lot faster though.
    Attachment 336417
    You will also need to post pics.

BTW, guys, we're talking something a little more revealing that ski outfits.

I can answer your question for the tidy sum of one titty shot.

The very first line elicited a chuckle. And the Sig line at the end.

Roles were reversed in the Suit family. Based on the "don't do it" consensus in this thread, I'm glad Mrs. Suit didn't turn to TGR for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Roles were reversed in the Suit family. Based on the "don't do it" consensus in this thread, I'm glad Mrs. Suit didn't turn to TGR for advice.
    So. Mrs Suit needs to post pics of your titties?
    Role reversal
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    So. Mrs Suit needs to post pics of your titties?
    Role reversal
    I don't think she approves of this place

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I don't think she approves of this place
    What spouse in their right mind would?

Risky Behaviour

I’ve tried this multiple times with ladies who aren’t skiers / beginner skiers, and the novelty wears off really quick.

Usually, you’re just stuck waiting in the middle of green and blue runs while she snow plows and makes “ahhh!” noises.

I tried teaching one gal, got her onto blues and left her to her own devices for the afternoon. She got sauced at the mid mountain bar and blew out her ACL.

In spite of knowing better than to give ski lessons to an SO I gave my GF lessons and they worked pretty good

now she skis better technically, enjoys skiing more, even pretty good in pow but she is still just a self described slow skiing soccer mom so I have to wait for her but having to ski with her is a pretty small part of my skiing maybe 6 days out of a 70 day season,

I think rippers of either sex and any age are born not made

My wife grew up in New Jersey and didn't ski much before we met, although she did know how. She has certainly been game about skiing a lot as a family activity with our two kids, and I appreciate that. I used to try to take her down hard runs, but a couple times she got really scared and once she had an uncontrolled slide that I had to stop by essentially diving on top of her. Ever since then I just ski the blue runs or the occasional single black when she is along. The problem is that my kids are both double black skiers now, so my wife is definitely the weak link in our family, and the kids get bored. The solution to that is 1) the kids and I leave her for an hour or so and do a couple tram laps; 2) I get to ski a couple weekends a year with only my kids, which is soooo awesome; and 3) as XXX'er said, 75% of my ski days are solo anyway, so I don't mind the few days I have to ski blue runs and wait for her.

You can't turn somebody into what you want them to be. If you want skiing to be a significant part of your relationship with your SO, you gotta find an SO who loves to ski, independent of you. Otherwise be prepared to find workarounds like I have.

When I met my wife she was a casual skier, a few days a year. She could handle groomers and the occasional moderate bump run. I ski 40 days a year now, mostly at Mammoth, with her typically getting about 25 or so.

You will need to stick with it, but if she is athletic she should be able to progress. Mammoth is a good mountain for us, my wife can handle stuff like Climax, Dave's and Cornice/Scotty's pretty well, so I can hit Hangman's while she hits Climax or Cornice, I can hit the Paranoids/Philippe's while she hits Scotty's. She is improving in powder, but she will let me ski on my own if it is full-on bluebird, or she will negotiate Cornice while I ski the other stuff. We make it work, and the layout of Mammoth makes that much easier. I love that we are able to do this together.

This would have been more difficult if I still lived in Tahoe, but skiing is not my whole life anymore.

You are young, but I don't agree with the people who say to get a new girlfriend. You want a girl you can ski with who you would also like if she didn't ski. The women in Tahoe were pretty ugly compared to coastal southern California. I'm sorry to be the blunt, but that's the truth. Actually, that's a lie, I'm not sorry.

I would rather have a girl who is great all-around and get her into skiing than have a girl I'm not into in any way OTHER than the fact that she is a skier. When we had been dating for a few months she actually got out of the Mammoth gondola at the mid-station when they opened the top because she wanted me to get the fresh goods. That day cemented the fact that she was a keeper. Like I said, she has gotten a whole lot better, but she still will let me go by myself when the top pops on a pow day.

There are some sacrifices to be made, but for me it is worth it. I have accepted being a 40 day a year guy who spends most of his time on a computer, it is a choice I made. I'm very lucky to have found the right woman.

If she gets into it you will find the right partner. You just have to decide what your priorities are. I have an amazing wife who loves to ski and can follow me around pretty well. I would like to get her down Hangman's someday, but right now I'm content with her skiing Climax and me skiing Hangers, Mammoth works well for us. If there were not slightly easier ways off the top at Mammoth we might have some trouble, but luckily the mountain is well set-up for our interests. While she has trouble when it is really deep, she LOVES powder in the 6-8 inch range. She has progressed a whole lot in the 13 years we have been together and I feel very lucky.

In the end you have to decide what your priorities are. If you absolutely HAVE to have a girl who skis as well as you do then prioritize that. I would not want to be with a girl if the only thing I was into about her was the fact that she can ski, I need more than that. I would love my wife even if we didn't ski seriously. I look at our situation as having the best of both worlds. Will she go heliskiing with me when I finally go? Probably not. But I would rather have a great woman who can handle Climax and Dave's than someone I'm not into who can ski as well as I do. In the end she is not behind me by much on the groomers, and she has a great time on steeps that are Dave's/Climax/Scotty's level. I'm lucky to have that in my life. The weekends we spend in Mammoth are really great, despite being a beach girl she loves in when winter rolls around. I'm definitely the more motivated one as far as skiing goes, I do most of the driving to Mammoth, she wouldn't want to be on the road at 3 am on a Saturday, but she helps with the drive home on Sunday night.

If this girl is worth it I say try to turn her into a serious skier. I have an older cousin in Menlo Park who actually did exactly the same thing I did. They ended up having kids, which is what slowed them down in the end.

If you have a girl who insists on spending the whole day on groomers, does not want to go much and won't let you have the afternoon to ski for yourself.....Well that is a tough one. You would have to make the call. That would not work for me because getting in the skiing I want requires going to Mammoth at least a couple of weekends a month, which would mean weekends away from her.

If you live in a place like Seattle, where you can get good skiing AND be home in time to take your girlfriend out for dinner this becomes less of a problem. If you are in BC you might be able to get your ski fix AND have a great girl even if she doesn't ski.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    My wife grew up in New Jersey and didn't ski much before we met, although she did know how. She has certainly been game about skiing a lot as a family activity with our two kids, and I appreciate that. I used to try to take her down hard runs, but a couple times she got really scared and once she had an uncontrolled slide that I had to stop by essentially diving on top of her. Ever since then I just ski the blue runs or the occasional single black when she is along. The problem is that my kids are both double black skiers now, so my wife is definitely the weak link in our family, and the kids get bored. The solution to that is 1) the kids and I leave her for an hour or so and do a couple tram laps; 2) I get to ski a couple weekends a year with only my kids, which is soooo awesome; and 3) as XXX'er said, 75% of my ski days are solo anyway, so I don't mind the few days I have to ski blue runs and wait for her.

You can't turn somebody into what you want them to be. If you want skiing to be a significant part of your relationship with your SO, you gotta find an SO who loves to ski, independent of you. Otherwise be prepared to find workarounds like I have.
    How old are your kids? I would assume that if they can ski double blacks (not just survive them) they can get around the resort on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    How old are your kids? I would assume that if they can ski double blacks (not just survive them) they can get around the resort on their own.
    Fourteen and sixteen now. Sure they can get around on their own, but family weekends are for mostly family time, so we stick together as much as possible, within reason.

I keep thinking of the scene in Downhill Racer where Coach Mayo tells Johnnny Creech "Well it's not exactly a team sport, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    skiing is actualy a very small part of the whole life partner thing
    Totally and unequivocally disagree. I tried with non-skiers and it didn't work. My life is disproportionally weighted toward skiing, (it's a very large part of my life), ergo my partner must also have a large part of her life ski-oriented. It's huge Al. To each his own though.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Fourteen and sixteen now. Sure they can get around on their own, but family weekends are for mostly family time, so we stick together as much as possible, within reason.
    Matching suits?

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Matching suits?
    Natch

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Totally and unequivocally disagree. I tried with non-skiers and it didn't work. My life is disproportionally weighted toward skiing, (it's a very large part of my life), ergo my partner must also have a large part of her life ski-oriented. It's huge Al. To each his own though.
    well we are not most people ... we are special flowers

most people don't go skiing in july,

most people ski about 9 days a season not 70+

if I had ever managed to stay married I probably wouldnt be skiing 70+ either

so now I am asking myself which came first the chicken or the egg ?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Having a spouse who supports you is the main thing
    This is the key. My wife is not a big skier, she has her own pursuits and passions. But she knows that skiing is sacrosanct. She never complains or utters a negative word when i take off skiing.

As I get deeper into the family man scene, I find myself giving up more and more things. Biking, socializing, overnight trips etc. These things are all falling by the wayside and I'm actually ok with it. But skiing is not to be f*cked with and my wife knows it. And I don't mean that in any authoritative, patriarchal way. She just knows that skiing gives me the stoke I need to stay positive and inspired. And if i don't get my 100 or so ski sessions a year (I call them sessions because many of them are only 2 or 3 hours long)... look the f*ck out, I'm a god damn mess.

And if I can offer a slightly different perspective, DO NOT get your partner into skiing. I used to be kind of jealous of my buddies who had partners that were as enthusiastic as them about skiing. Not anymore. Kids and careers come along and those dudes now have to share skiing time with someone else. My life partner has her own stuff. Skiing is mine.