Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1425
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    XC bikes have shorter reaches. The seat angle is probably slacker than other bikes in the lineup, so when you raise your saddle up to your climbing height, you get the effective reach that way.
    Makes sense. The Spur still has a reach of 510 in the XL though. I think the Epic Evo is more of an XC bike than I want. Still riding for the downhills just want something that is more efficient on the way up.

I don’t think of the Spur as a full-blown XC race bike like a Scalpel, Epic, or the new Blur. It’s a short travel trail bike. You’d probably prefer the Spur.

Agreed, Spur is NOT an XC bike given the longer reach and overall longer feeling. Can feel it on tight switchbacks. That said when descending that geo is fucking dialed. The faster you push it the more nimble it becomes.

Took this demo out from Transition in Bellingham last week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8448.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	923.0 KB 
ID:	394538

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Spur looks a lot like the Trail 429 from pivot in terms of ht angle and travel… and I’d bet the 429 climbs better by they market the bikes super differently, so people don’t tend to compare them. The Spur is a “XC bike” compared to longer travel Transitions but not relative to XC race bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Agreed, Spur is NOT an XC bike given the longer reach and overall longer feeling. Can feel it on tight switchbacks. That said when descending that geo is fucking dialed. The faster you push it the more nimble it becomes.

Took this demo out from Transition in Bellingham last week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8448.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	923.0 KB 
ID:	394538

Hahaha right, of course when needing to put it in a category it’s a XC but I thought it’s part of the new fangled “DC” category.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    The Spur looks a lot like the Trail 429 from pivot in terms of ht angle and travel… and I’d bet the 429 climbs better by they market the bikes super differently, so people don’t tend to compare them. The Spur is a “XC bike” compared to longer travel Transitions but not relative to XC race bikes.
    I’d probably chose the Trail 429 but the Pivot is much heavier.

The frame and shock on the Pivot is about a half pound heavier… and some of that is the Sid shock being super light on the transition.

i think the light builds on the transition (Sid Fork and a few other XC parts) are probably 1-2 pounds lighter than the Trail 429… but most people seem to slowly make the Spur more burly to let it keep up with the geometry. I also think once we’re talking about a pound difference a DW link bike will pedal a bit better which will make more difference over a fast paced ride.

Both are sweet bikes. I think Pivot would sell more 429’s to some people if they classified it as an ‘aggressive down country bike” because it is in the same ballpark as the Spur.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I’d probably chose the Trail 429 but the Pivot is much heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    The frame and shock on the Pivot is about a half pound heavier… and some of that is the Sid shock being super light on the transition.

i think the light builds on the transition (Sid Fork and a few other XC parts) are probably 1-2 pounds lighter than the Trail 429… but most people seem to slowly make the Spur more burly to let it keep up with the geometry. I also think once we’re talking about a pound difference a DW link bike will pedal a bit better which will make more difference over a fast paced ride.

Both are sweet bikes. I think Pivot would sell more 429’s to some people if they classified it as an ‘aggressive down country bike” because it is in the same ballpark as the Spur.
    Any thoughts on how the Evil Following fits in this conversation? Not as light as the Spur but the Evils seem to pedal really well.

I had a following V1 and found that it felt much more plush vs the Spur I was on last week, I haven’t check the leverage curve but my guess is it was much more progressive. I also felt like it was more playful at slower speeds vs the Spur got more playful the faster you pushed it.

Can’t compare to the Pivot as I haven’t ridden one.

Sadly no insights… my main commentary is on how differently the Spur is marketed than other comparable bikes. I picked the Pivot as I’ve ridden one a little and it’s a very efficient 120mm bike that’s marketed as a trail bike… rather than an XC bike.

A hunch is that the Evil might be more like a Tallboy… short travel but trying to be fairly plush / solid.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Any thoughts on how the Evil Following fits in this conversation? Not as light as the Spur but the Evils seem to pedal really well.

All this Spur talk - if anyone is looking for a nicely built Medium Spur, hit me up.

Don't sleep on the GG Trail Pistol either. I've got one built up at 28 lbs with light wheels and fast tires, and it's a rocket. And with the geo and the burly frame, it's damn capable on rowdy descents too.

[FANBOIALERT]

Well, the Pinkbike dorks fully agree with my impressions on the new Element, so hey, confirmation bias has been achieved. Can’t recommend this bike highly enough. I already put on 4 pot brakes and bigger rims, just waiting on a FloatX and a Pike 140 to really uncork this thing!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-...n-element.html
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    [FANBOIALERT]

Well, the Pinkbike dorks fully agree with my impressions on the new Element, so hey, confirmation bias has been achieved. Can’t recommend this bike highly enough. I already put on 4 pot brakes and bigger rims, just waiting on a FloatX and a Pike 140 to really uncork this thing!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/field-...n-element.html
    Just trade it in for an Norco Optic instead

I get the joke, the Optic is a great choice...but just the frame is 1-1/2 pounds heavier...

Yep just joking. The Optic is definitely a more ‘rugged’ bike. My C1 with XTR, carbon cranks, but not light wheels was 31.5 lbs. when I got it. Not too heavy for a trail bike, but well outside XC bike range.

Based on my 10 or so rides, the Element can't be classified as an XC bike, but more of an 'enduro lite' or 'slack trail' bike. Category killer, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    All this Spur talk - if anyone is looking for a nicely built Medium Spur, hit me up.
    Possibly interested although not sure I can spare the moneys right now. Send me details?

Based on my 10 or so rides, the Element can't be classified as an XC bike, but more of an 'enduro lite' or 'slack trail' bike. Category killer, IMO.
    The word you’re avoiding using is downcountry

The PB guys called it "Down-DOWN-country"

The PB guys called it "Down-DOWN-country"
    Sounds like you should put some double downs on it

Yup, DD dissector out back, exo+ Assegai up front.

And just like that, it gains over a pound...
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

But still under 27 pounds, i'll take it for the grip. I might try some pinner tires next summer for some PR's, but I ride for the downs.

I'm on board. My Ripley is like 28#. What can I say, I like big knobs. (And reservoir shocks.)
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.