Page 49 of 59 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1452
    An old buddy/roomy had started a company, that fell through, in the late 90's. He was qualifying top n american at the wc at the time and tried a high pivot and was sold on it. Kid was a visionary on the bike and in design. He had some great ideas and backing from family until it fell through. He was sold on high pivot and ive always trusted his opinion. He had a bomb proof pivot design too. Really wished it wouldve worked out for him. Perhaps a bit too early though, like 25 years too early. Im going to remind him next time we speak though. Kid was raw talent. Caught Peaty's eye back in the day

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Is that the dreadnought?
    Im also very interested in that. Would love to know what you think in terms of pedalbility

I wish I lived somewhere where there were trails that could justify a bike like the Dreadnaught. As well as having the skills to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    They are in CAD on that link.
    That makes a lot more sense. Must have been a glitch in the matrix and US IPs were getting sent there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Thanks! Old habits die hard. Always been Shimano for MTB and Campy for road. Also demoed the switchblade with SRAM and it shifted like crap on the low end where I spend a lot of time during climbs. Probably not tuned well but it was from Pivots demo fleet so you’d think they’d have them dialed. The ripmo I demoed was XT and it shifted like a dream.
    That’s weird. Shimano literally sponsors the Pivot demo program. You sure the SRAM equipped bike you rode didn’t come from an LBS’s fleet?

My pants have been tight still waiting for my bike to arrive. Ordered in September, still waiting. Sounds like it will be here next week based on the arrival of their latest shipping container in their SLC warehouse.
    Fawk its been a long wait.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-lo...n-the-usa.html
    Looked pretty rad until I saw the frame price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    You sure the SRAM equipped bike you rode didn’t come from an LBS’s fleet?
    It was the Pivot demo fleet, at least I think so. Signed up through the pivot website.

Now you make me wonder if I misremembered which bike had sram. I remember having sram shifting issues while the xt was crisp and clean. The ripmo was from an LBS rental fleet so it could have been sram. I had so much fun on the ripmo that I rode until my legs seized. Might have made me overlook the shifting issues and think it was related to the Pivot and not the Ibis.

Anyway, got out for an inaugural ride the other night in 90 degrees and 90% humidity. Several PRs and I was at the front of the pack instead of the back. Heart rate was over 10% lower as well. The bike rips. Bummed I’m headed to the hospital tomorrow for an ablation to hopefully kick the off and on afib. No rides for a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Fully torqued to finally get this. Delivered at 6:30 this morning from a shop in the disputed zone of where the upstates starts. Unfortunately it’s hot, humid, and raining so it’ll be at least a few hours before I can get out on it. Attachment 378161
    The shop ordered a ton of bikes from Ibis in April 2020. I put a deposit on this in October with a planned March delivery. They finally started rolling in this month. He’s flush with Ripmos and Ripleys now. If anyone’s looking shoot me a PM.
    My wife got her Ripley a few weeks ago through Mountain Peddler over here in Eagle. Shop was awesome and the guys were great, but Ibis/market forces created a situation where she had to go SLX instead of GX and pay more (totaled $7000 w/carbon S28’s). We weren’t about to back out after the long road to get one, but it’s interesting to hear that a shop has a good inventory of Ripleys in stock.

The new Shimano drivetrains are damned good, I would prefer SLX over GX these days, IMO (from a diehard SRAM guy).
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

21/22 Bikes That Make Your Shorts Tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    The new Shimano drivetrains are damned good, I would prefer SLX over GX these days, IMO (from a diehard SRAM guy).
    I’d take SLX over GX for sure. Shimano is so smooth.

I think that frame only pricing is likely steep as Ibis tries to offset a huge investment. They make some margin on complete and can only produce so many frames. So why wouldn’t you put the frame a premium and earn a more consistent profit per frame compared to a complete?

The complete bike at $8000 with XT could be a pretty reasonable price if it includes some of their house brand carbon wheels. So I guess we’ll see what the final build kit looks like.

Either way. I think this looks like a sweet rig and made in USA carbon is sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    https://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-lo...n-the-usa.html
    Looked pretty rad until I saw the frame price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I think that frame only pricing is likely steep as Ibis tries to offset a huge investment. They make some margin on complete and can only produce so many frames. So why wouldn’t you put the frame a premium and earn a more consistent profit per frame compared to a complete?

The complete bike at $8000 with XT could be a pretty reasonable price if it includes some of their house brand carbon wheels. So I guess we’ll see what the final build kit looks like.

Either way. I think this looks like a sweet rig and made in USA carbon is sweet.
    I actually have no complaints with the price tag, more that I personally can’t let myself ever spend 4500 on a frame. Who knows maybe I’ll find a sweet used one way down the road. The older I get the more appeal the little rocket bikes have. Go figure.

Got it. I’m in the same camp for sure. I bough a used Pivot Mach 4SL last March for less than the frame price of the Exie. Maybe one day we’ll live in a world with bikes that depreciate and complete Exie’s will be $5000 on Pinkbike. We can dream at least.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    I actually have no complaints with the price tag, more that I personally can’t let myself ever spend 4500 on a frame. Who knows maybe I’ll find a sweet used one way down the road. The older I get the more appeal the little rocket bikes have. Go figure.

@Jamal, how are you liking the Hei Hei now that you have had it a bit? I am considering one to replace my Instinct. However, the last ‘trail/downcountry “ bike I had (SB100) I always felt like I was riding at the limits of it’s capabilities, partially due to the steep head angle.
    Thoughts?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Hard to say how that will work for you. To me it's lots of bike but I'm kind of a roadie coming from a 10 year old hardtail.

I don't love it as an xc race bike but it's pretty good otherwise. Just sluggish pedaling in comparison. Old bike has a 71 deg hta so 67.5 seems plenty slack and stable to me. Plus I'm on an XL, so it's a long bike. On our xc course this season I was giving up almost a minute on the road climb sections, about even on the flatter singletrack, and making up ~30s on the descent. So slower overall but I was actually omfortable and confident and fast on the way down vs just concentrating on staying upright.

When I get out of town on bigger rides and on rougher trails and steeper descents, I like it a lot more. we did alpine 7 last year and it was perfect all day. Going up to like carlton ridge and down mill creek it's also great. But then I do notice it's still a 120mm "XC" bike on some of the descents, and it's pretty hard to get into that last 10-20mm of travel.

I have the 2020, which comes with GX and guide R brakes and the world's heaviest cranks. The current CR has mostly slx instead. I went to rsc levers and carbon cranks so the brakes work better and it's lighter, and then just got some fancy wheels and an xo1 cassette but they're not installed yet. Hoping I'll like pedaling it a little more once that's all on. Kinda want a transfer SL too. Should be more like mid-low 26lb range instead of almost 29 out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I don't love it as an xc race bike but it's pretty good otherwise. Just sluggish pedaling in comparison....On our xc course this season I was giving up almost a minute on the road climb sections...
    Would you consider a lock out? Doesn't the Hei Hei have routing for a lock out? Or you think that wouldn't really solve the issue?
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

It doesn't have a remote (there is routing for one) but I can and do close the fork and shock. There's still a bit of give in the shock, and it doesn't have that snappyness and efficient power transfer feeling I get with the hardtail. I feel like I'm always in an easier gear, but working harder and going slower. I assume part of it is the extra weight, part is the bit of squish with the shock closed, and part is maybe all the rear end parts moving and flexing. I even have the same tires on both bikes.

I do wonder if different shocks would change things, like the sid/sidluxe combo on the DL. Shop owner had the same bike I do and then went to a 2021 DL and says it seems to pedal better but I haven't hopped on it to see. I am thinking about going to the fit damper in the fork because in trail it's a bit harsh but open seems too soft and like there's no low speed, so that dial would be nice and it's not that pricey.

Or maybe my new carbon wheels will make all the difference?

Overall I do like it a lot more than I did originally, now that the brakes don't suck, the suspension is set up better, it doesn't click and creak (I had to stick some little shims between the bearings and suspension rocker), and it's lighter, and has better tires.

Any of you Revel Ranger owners put a 130mm fork up front? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Did you get the green?

Haven't, yet. At some point I'm going to throw a Fox Rhythm on since I have one on another bike with the proper crown race already installed. Revel told me 51mm offset for a 130.

Can't imagine I'll die trying it
    Last edited by ticketchecker; 07-09-2021 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    My buddy is building his up this week with a Pike. Sounds like the previous owner ran both the SID then his 130 Pike and liked the Pike outcome better

If anyone else is eyeing the new Patrol, out of curiosity I sent them an email asking about silver frame availability. They replied saying they're expecting a batch in August, and can reserve them now. Even though they're stunning, I know that since I already gripe about my 34 lb Megatrail, I should really hold out for the inevitable carbon version of the Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Did you get the green?

Haven't, yet. At some point I'm going to throw a Fox Rhythm on since I have one on another bike with the proper crown race already installed. Revel told me 51mm offset for a 130.

Can't imagine I'll die trying it
    Originally ordered the green, but I think it was more delayed than the coal color, so I switched.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    It doesn't have a remote (there is routing for one) but I can and do close the fork and shock. There's still a bit of give in the shock, and it doesn't have that snappyness and efficient power transfer feeling I get with the hardtail. I feel like I'm always in an easier gear, but working harder and going slower. I assume part of it is the extra weight, part is the bit of squish with the shock closed, and part is maybe all the rear end parts moving and flexing. I even have the same tires on both bikes.

I do wonder if different shocks would change things, like the sid/sidluxe combo on the DL. Shop owner had the same bike I do and then went to a 2021 DL and says it seems to pedal better but I haven't hopped on it to see. I am thinking about going to the fit damper in the fork because in trail it's a bit harsh but open seems too soft and like there's no low speed, so that dial would be nice and it's not that pricey.

Or maybe my new carbon wheels will make all the difference?

Overall I do like it a lot more than I did originally, now that the brakes don't suck, the suspension is set up better, it doesn't click and creak (I had to stick some little shims between the bearings and suspension rocker), and it's lighter, and has better tires.
    I dont race any more, might some day. but when I raced I had either a SS hardtail and Giant Anthem X 29er 1. I found even with the maestro suspension I really like a very progressive rear spring that I could effectively run less air in. so I could get supple small hits and still have really good pedaling . This is before spacers in rear shocks was a thing so I just used greases in the air can to get the progression I wanted. I was

Another I suggest as is if you do not have a lock out on the shock is to try and dial in the suspension fully open. IE over airing the shock.

I know the Kona is different but a good full suspension will out climb a hardtail on slightly bumpy uphill all day long especially if you can sit and get generate power that way.

I have a smaller volume spacer in the shock (0.4 in2 vs 0.8) which let me have higher pressure and more support around sag while still using most of the travel. Don't think I've seen it use more than about 80-85% of the shock travel yet and the other day was still thinking about going up another couple of psi. When I bumped up pressure to get it to feel like this pedaling it was very harsh descending and barely used like 65%. Still rarely go into full open, but that has more to do with our trails.

Anyway, the new parts do seem to make a difference, and dropped a whole pound. Bit more responsive to pedaling with the lighter, stiffer wheels and the nicer cassette is quieter and seems to shift better. The old stuff wasn't very worn.

As for climbing, no, this does not out climb my old hardtail on any of the stuff I do on a regular basis according to strava. Out of the box this was close to 29lbs while the other bike is like 23-24.

But now, it comes in at 26.5. Thinking about a lighter seatpost. And I do have those really flimsy tires in the bin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210710_021411849.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	722.9 KB 
ID:	379104

Name:  PXL_20210708_210739077.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  255.4 KB
    Last edited by jamal; 07-10-2021 at 09:10 AM.