Page 33 of 59 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Ok, so quick update after a few hundred miles and about 100k of vert...the new altitude rocks. How much actually surprised me. But what rally surprised me was running it mullet today...it FUCKING rocked. Easier to wheelie, easier to turn in crazy tight switchbacks, and no ass-buzzing (which was happening all the time with the 29. I’ll write more impressions later, but that’s what I have for now.
    Super-stoked on this bike.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ok, so quick update after a few hundred miles and about 100k of vert...the new altitude rocks. How much actually surprised me. But what rally surprised me was running it mullet today...it FUCKING rocked. Easier to wheelie, easier to turn in crazy tight switchbacks, and no ass-buzzing (which was happening all the time with the 29. I’ll write more impressions later, but that’s what I have for now.
    Which geo position did you try for mulletage? I actually tried a mullet setup on one today too. Went with the middle setting (5, I think?) and that seemed about right.

That’s awesome!!! I’m uber jealous. I’ve started looking at some rockys lately. They greatly appeal to my eye.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hab, i tried 5, which also seemed perfect. Going to try some steeper settings for some longer climbs (only tried it on a DH)

This one - and it's brother, the Coal - is slowly growing on me

Name:  p4pb18890764.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  197.7 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4712.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	371507

My shorts were sufficiently tightened tonight. New bike day.

Sikgnar!

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post

Beautiful bike. How did it ride?

Oh dear
    36 or 38?

2021 Bikes That Make Your Shorts Tighter.

That’s a 38. I’ve got 1 ride on it earlier this week then it rained and snowed all week. Headed to Santa Cruz now for a week of riding so I’ll have better feedback in a week.

For that first ride I took it on a pretty rough natural trail. It’s really, really fast on the downs. It has that sensation that it’s accelerating and picking up speed even in chunky sections. It doesn’t feel like the back end gets hung up on square edges at all.

The rear suspension felt super supple but also plenty of mid stroke support. It came with the 60 rocker and I really need the 65 but even without the ideal rocker/shock setup it felt awesome. Much improvement over the Evil Offering with a custom built Avalanche rear shock that I’m coming from.

Climbing was a downgrade from the Evil. Some of this could be body position. The front end is really high right now and I’m probably going to tinker with that this week.

The 38 felt like a massive upgrade over the 36 grip2 that I’m coming off of.

Nice.
    What size frame, and how tall are you?

Drool

I’m 5’11 and it’s a L.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    You can say that again! It's just like skis...so much easier today...but also expands the possibilities.
    Thought of this yesterday as I rode w/ couple younger enduro-bros who I normally have little/no problem keeping up with on the down on my FS 100mm or 130mm trail bike (and I destroy the young'ins going up). But did get a very clear reminder yesterday of bike geo improvements getting dropped on the downs while riding my 10 y/o SS Ti 29er on the same trails. Had been contemplating a more modern HT/SS which yesterdays experience solidified the desire for.

Lots of good options, but not as many SS'able frames in the 68-65* HTA realm. Honzo and Chameleon are standouts, maybe the Spec Fuse 29. Pretty curious about some of the UK offerings, but don't think any have sliders.

Whenever I ride my older hardtail it feels really weird and bad riding downhill. Pedals real good though, not sure what I'm going to do when we start racing in a few weeks. I have some lighter parts and tires coming for the hei hei so we'll see if that makes it acceptable up the xc course. Might even do some back to back laps if I get a chance.
    Last edited by jamal; 04-25-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Still have my Pivot 429sl w PM if I decide I want to toe the line again, but may sell it if that desire passes, might even race my Stumpy ST w some low rolling resistance tires, not sure it’s that much slower than the pivot really.

I did a parking lot ride on a Specialized Fuse Expert 29 today. Felt like an overgrown dirt jumper, wheelied across lot and decided to put an order in for one. Plan is to run it SS for my local trails and maybe geared for winter snow duties (no need for real fat bike here).

Currently these are vapor ware like everything else, actually rode the shop owners who’s same size as me and well setup. My Ti Lynskey is going up for sale though for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have any of you actually ridden a new generation Niner?
    They look fairly well sorted, and the linkage design is interesting.
    Just curious.

https://ninerbikes.com/products/wfo-9-rdo

Have any of you actually ridden a new generation Niner?
    They look fairly well sorted, and the linkage design is interesting.
    Just curious.

https://ninerbikes.com/products/wfo-9-rdo
    Just for simply mentioning Niner in this otherwise glorious thread, you have received one demerit from Dwight Schrute.

Name:  EE8xjYnXUAAN4DG.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  52.3 KB

I haven't ridden any of the newer niners, but I am comfortable in saying that bike wins the ugliest bike of 2021 award.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I haven't ridden any of the newer niners, but I am comfortable in saying that bike wins the ugliest bike of the twenty-first century award.
    FIFY

Reminder: design frame THEN smoke crack.

2021 Bikes That Make Your Shorts Tighter.

I owned a RIP9 10 years ago. It was the same CVA (maestro/dw-ish) suspension layout then.... it was more active under pedaling and descending than other minilink designs of the same era... but not as active as the horstlinks of the day... I had to manage the CTD on the shock more than I do these days...

I see they are kinda dipping their toes into modern geometry but haven’t dove in headfirst.... that’s probably the right call given their typical customer.

But boy that frame looks terrible

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    FIFY

It's ugly AF, but I'm not sure it's uglier than Polygon.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    FIFY

I dunno. I don't think it beats the Redalp. But it's a solid ugly podium contender.

Nice, looking forward to hearing more about the mullet set up. I'm mullet curious.. Seems like it would suit the altitude well.

Ok, so after a few big descents in Perú, and a healthy 5 day adventure in Moab, here are my thoughts. The first thing I had to do was run the ride9 in the tallest position. Pedal strikes were a real issue. Changing to standard SPD’s from the Trail ones seemed to help. Otherwise, no real handling differences (and I mean that in a good way), but it was much easier to wheelie, especially in the short wheelbase position. It did everything well, and I only rubbed tire against ass once, whereas with 29 it happened way too frequently.
    If I can, I want to try the 27.5 version of the Altitude with a 29” fork and see if that helps the pedal strikes, but I doubt it will be a huge difference, TBH.
    I have two wheels set up, and will likely change them depending on the ride du jour.
    hope that helps!