Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 1452
    Brown Santa!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    The Ranger came in at 25.46 lbs or 11.56kgs.
    That’s with Rekon 2.4WT 3CT/EXO+/TR with 3oz of Stans in each tire. (840g tire plus 90g for the sealant).
    A new Fox Transfer SL will shave some weight, and exploring some PRO cockpit parts for a few grams.
    Small frame?

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    asking for a friend... If someone coming from an xc weenie/hardtail heritage were looking for a "downcountry" bike that climbs really well, descends really well, is light, has minimum 2 bottle mounts... Is the shortlist RM Element, Revel Ranger and Transition Spur?
    Tons of bikes do what you want until minimum 2 bottle mounts. You can mount bottles to your handle bars or under your seat or put em in your pocket.

I know I'm all over the place, but I went to the local Giant store to check availability of:

Name:  Anthem.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  76.3 KB

Was told that they'll be arriving in "week 22," but I could check back in April to see if they can get one shipped from another store.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    The Ranger came in at 25.46 lbs or 11.56kgs in size Small.
    That’s with Rekon 2.4WT 3CT/EXO+/TR with 3oz of Stans in each tire. (840g tire plus 90g for the sealant).
    A new Fox Transfer SL will shave some weight, and exploring some PRO cockpit parts for a few grams.
    Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Small frame?
    I added size Small to my above post. Sorry forgot to mention that.
    She is 5'4" and 110lbs, so every gram I can cut helps the power to weight ratio.
    I tell her 3oz of Stans in each tire, which instills her confidence against flats, but I really only put 3oz in a new tire 2.4 and when I put on race tires they only get 2oz. Stans is about 30g per liquid oz.

Her new bike is 1.4 lbs, or 640 grams heavier. And she is sweating about it, even though she does not truly understand the impact of that weight (other than psychologically).
    If her target output on a long race was 4.85w/kg. I broke it down like this:
    110lb + 2 lbs of gear + 24 (old bike) = 136lbs total. At 300 watts thats 4.85w/kg.
    110lbs + 2 lbs of gear + 25.4 (new bike) = 137.4lbs total. In order to create 4.85w/kg with the heavier bike you would need to produce 302.5 watts.

I told he she could gain an extra 2.5 watts if she just regularly washed her bike, and lube her chain. I'm hoping that suggested stargity works.

Thanks. My medium came out around 27.5. #, I thought it would be lighter and not sure where I could drop any noticeable weight. XT drivetrain and 2 pot brakes. Next SL cranks, stoopid light nobl wheelset, rekon/dissector. One up dropper is probably a porker. Not sure how much sealant I put in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1100.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	403394

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

That 2022 Fox Stepcast is less than 1700g and those DT wheels are 1400g (also $3000!)
    Your medium is only 2.1 lbs or 950g heavier.
    The weight to dollar ratio starts to get stupid once you get that close to the end of the scale.

My wheels are close to that, I think I’ll get a new head unit for the van

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    asking for a friend... If someone coming from an xc weenie/hardtail heritage were looking for a "downcountry" bike that climbs really well, descends really well, is light, has minimum 2 bottle mounts... Is the shortlist RM Element, Revel Ranger and Transition Spur?
    Those three are the front runners and should be considered first.

But coming from a XC background, there are a few bikes that punch up from XC toward the "normal" downcountry group. They'll be less capable/confidence-inspiring on the descent, but might save a few lbs if that still matters: SC Blur TR, Scott Spark, Canyon Lux, CD Scalpel SE, Ibis Exie, Mondraker Raze (maybe?) are 120mm bikes with dual water bottle mounts in the triangle

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Those three are the front runners and should be considered first.

But coming from a XC background, there are a few bikes that punch up from XC toward the "normal" downcountry group. They'll be less capable/confidence-inspiring on the descent, but might save a few lbs if that still matters: SC Blur TR, Scott Spark, Canyon Lux, CD Scalpel SE, Ibis Exie, Mondraker Raze (maybe?) are 120mm bikes with dual water bottle mounts in the triangle
    Hei Hei CR/DL?

No love for the Following? A little heavier but I'm guessing really fun going down. Would like to know.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Hei Hei CR/DL?
    thanks everyone for chiming in. I'm much more educated on viable options now for the XC weenie to 'DC' transition phase.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    ...Mondraker Raze...
    If I've said it once...Mondraker makes the sexiest bikes; the Raze appears to be one more. I'd really like to test one of those things...just to learn I can't afford it!

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Hei Hei CR/DL?
    Yes yes indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    No love for the Following? A little heavier but I'm guessing really fun going down. Would like to know.
    Solo una botella de agua

Not a bike for me but I'm a CBF fanboi so this looks pretty sweet

https://www.revelbikes.com/our-bikes/rail29/

That bike looks dope.

I want to know if their 3 year old geometry is a product of stubbornness or just really slow design->market time. I hear good things about their suspension but the slack seats, steep head angles, and dogleg in the seat tube are major turn-offs to me.

Yes, 65 degrees is steep. It's a 160mm front enduro bike. There are <=120mm "downcountry" bikes with head angles like that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Yes, 65 degrees is steep. It's a 160mm front enduro bike. There are <=120mm "downcountry" bikes with head angles like that now.
    To be fair, there's a market for all kinds of bikes... and just because a bike has 160mm of travel doesn't mean it needs to be slack AF. I personally think something between 64-65* is perfect for an enduro bike, but what do I know. And yeah, I also wish the bike had a slightly steeper STA, but that's because my local climbs are steep as shit.

I get your overall point, but I also know that a large majority of my clients absolutely loved the Rascal last year despite its "dated" geo... because it was immediately comfortable and the suspension platform is so plush. In fact, they liked that bike better than everything else we carried in 2021, GG included.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    3 year old geometry
    Not only geo. The experts in the peanut gallery at MTBR have already ruled that the 29er is dead, and the only way forward is the mullet bike.

Flying a bit under the radar... but this is one of the cleanest looking bikes I've seen in a long time. Waiting to see more details, but I can see this bike in my near future.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/reeb-c...sion-bike.html

Not much love for Orbea in here. I bought a 2022 Rallon on my last day of work at the bike shop, until the snow melts I sits in frame of my web cam so my coworkers can appreciate it too.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Flying a bit under the radar... but this is one of the cleanest looking bikes I've seen in a long time. Waiting to see more details, but I can see this bike in my near future.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/reeb-c...sion-bike.html
    From the Pinkbike comments:

" The first bike that claims to have every single suspension buzz-word characteristic built into its kinematics. This is revolutionary."

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    From the Pinkbike comments:

" The first bike that claims to have every single suspension buzz-word characteristic built into its kinematics. This is revolutionary."
    Well yeah, that's what marketing is all about right?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Not much love for Orbea in here. I bought a 2022 Rallon on my last day of work at the bike shop, until the snow melts I sits in frame of my web cam so my coworkers can appreciate it too.
    I ride an Occam and love the shit out of it. The new Rallon was on my short list but availability was a big ?? so I ended up with a GG. Buddy of mine put money down on a Rallon in Nov and is hoping to get it in the spring. Dead sexy bike!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I've got an Occam I bought last spring and love it. I bought the Rallon because cost +$100 was to good to not take advantage of. I think I'll keep the Rallon in the Kootenays and keep the Occam at home in the Okanagan. The Rallon looks better suited for the much chunkier and steeper trails of the Nelson/Castlegar/Rossland area.