Page 45 of 59 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1452
    Ok. Spur one ride review:

Yeah, this thing is sweet.

Setup as stock 120mm rear travel, slightly overforked with 130mm fox 34. Hodge podge build with some gx eagle, some X01 eagle, some xtr, raceface next r wheels, real tires (2.3 double down aggressor, 2.5 exo plus dhf). Weighs a bit over 28lbs with pedals.

It's not too far off of enduro-y geometry (I measure the HT angle to be around 65°, maybe slightly less), but obviously it's a short travel bike and pedals as such. Feels super snappy on the pedals, even with semi burly wheels and relatively heavy tires. Out of the saddle sprints are met with a satisfying promptness.

But on the way down, the geometry does its thing. It feels entirely comfortable at speed. My one ride consisted of a couple thousand vert of climbing mixed in with a couple lift served laps. And the bike felt surprisingly not stupid on the lift served bike park laps. It took one of the rootier tech trails before I felt like the bike was undergunned (although in that situation, where the trail calls for high speed root smashing, the spur was most definitely undergunned). And on the smoother bermier, jumpier stuff, the thing is awesome. Slap the berm, and pop off of literally anything. It's fun on real jumps, and it makes mellow flow trails with pseudo roller jumps a lot more fun too.

And it looks clean and sexy.

So far, the only downside is that I'm entirely skeptical the Sid Ultimate rear shock is going to last more than a week or two. That thing was getting nuclear hot.

Looks sweet. What size did you go with?

Am I just drunk, or do I remember that Transition said it's not compatible with a piggyback shock for some reason? Looks like it might make a water bottle tough, but I can't see why it categorically wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Youve never gone for a little gap to clear some roots then try it on a rainy day and come up short? Oh wait, nevermind

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    all the time that's the theory why I use a rear insert. I'm gona take out for a bit though when I change tyre for a comparison as I've forgot what it's like without them

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Looks sweet. What size did you go with?

Am I just drunk, or do I remember that Transition said it's not compatible with a piggyback shock for some reason? Looks like it might make a water bottle tough, but I can't see why it categorically wouldn't work.
    It's a medium. Initially I was a little worried it would feel small (5'9", reach listed as 455), but it actually feels spot on.

Transition has some vague statements about the frame not being tested for piggyback clearance. Fox makes a dpx2 in the appropriate size, and if I had to guess, I'd say it'd fit without interfering with the bottle cage. Worst case scenario is I'd need a cage that scoots the bottle forward.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It's a medium. Initially I was a little worried it would feel small (5'9", reach listed as 455), but it actually feels spot on.

Transition has some vague statements about the frame not being tested for piggyback clearance. Fox makes a dpx2 in the appropriate size, and if I had to guess, I'd say it'd fit without interfering with the bottle cage. Worst case scenario is I'd need a cage that scoots the bottle forward.
    I think Wolftooth also makes some goofy thing that moves your cage further forward too. Sweet looking bike. If I was in the market something like that is damn near exactly what I'm interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    all the time that's the theory why I use a rear insert. I'm gona take out for a bit though when I change tyre for a comparison as I've forgot what it's like without them

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    I just put them in to avoid problems for the most part. My pedalling/enduro wheels dont fail wherever i pedal(dh trails or xc). My dh/emtb wheels smash things everywhere and get me home or atleast to the bottom. If i raced and was serious about it id be more selective on how light i could go on individual courses. Ive probably had one or two flats in 7 or 8 years after i ditched exo weight tires. Then smashed a few rims until i used inserts. Now zero problems unless theres a breach of the tubeless system. Atleast tgen i can roll to tge bottom. They dont always have probldms but its the exo or non insert guy that always screws the ride plan. The 1st yr newb is tge prime offender, and he always has an excuse........
    When i raced it was a few different tires i had, regular tubes , dh tubes , and also some crazy thick dept store tubes. I tried a "snakecharmer" for a bit but that made todays insert install seem like installing a lock on grip in comparison. Major pain with limited dependability results. Tires werent great then either.

Yeah, this thing is sweet.

Setup as stock 120mm rear travel, slightly overforked with 130mm fox 34. Hodge podge build with some gx eagle, some X01 eagle, some xtr, raceface next r wheels, real tires (2.3 double down aggressor, 2.5 exo plus dhf). Weighs a bit over 28lbs with pedals.

It's not too far off of enduro-y geometry (I measure the HT angle to be around 65°, maybe slightly less), but obviously it's a short travel bike and pedals as such. Feels super snappy on the pedals, even with semi burly wheels and relatively heavy tires. Out of the saddle sprints are met with a satisfying promptness.

But on the way down, the geometry does its thing. It feels entirely comfortable at speed. My one ride consisted of a couple thousand vert of climbing mixed in with a couple lift served laps. And the bike felt surprisingly not stupid on the lift served bike park laps. It took one of the rootier tech trails before I felt like the bike was undergunned (although in that situation, where the trail calls for high speed root smashing, the spur was most definitely undergunned). And on the smoother bermier, jumpier stuff, the thing is awesome. Slap the berm, and pop off of literally anything. It's fun on real jumps, and it makes mellow flow trails with pseudo roller jumps a lot more fun too.

And it looks clean and sexy.

So far, the only downside is that I'm entirely skeptical the Sid Ultimate rear shock is going to last more than a week or two. That thing was getting nuclear hot.
    That's nice and all, but, what inserts are you running in it?

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    That's nice and all, but, what inserts are you running in it?
    If youre going to be shredding hardwood hills youll need to know

Great build. My only suggestion was going to be a dpx2.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    That Spur looks dope.

My SB115 arrives on Monday. Hope to squeeze in one ride Monday night or Tuesday AM before my mom gets to town for a week. I'm hoping the geo isn't too XC for me. Looks like it's the least "down country" of all the similar bikes geo wise. Then again there are NO bikes available. I wasn't about to order something and get it sometime next winter.

Slightly back on track. This thing finally showed up (ordered the frame in December).

That thing looks like a sexy beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    That Spur looks dope.

My SB115 arrives on Monday. Hope to squeeze in one ride Monday night or Tuesday AM before my mom gets to town for a week. I'm hoping the geo isn't too XC for me..
    SB 115 looks close to my Ranger in geo, it goes down in fine fashion. I’m not as much of a down rider as you probably are but I bet you’ll be impressed with it.

The Ranger seems to be an ‘ignore what you think the numbers say it’s going to be like’ ride

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Ended up with a pretty similar build and tires, but with a 120 Pike instead of the 34, and I feel bad for the terrible things I've done to that shock. It weeped oil like a mofo for a couple days, and then stopped, and doesn't feel bad now, but also doesn't feel great. Debating between rebuilding it or just going piggyback. Also feel like this bike really deserves good brakes.

My SID ultimate weeps like a little baby. Thinking about a DB in-line for the Ranger. Of course now cane creek is out of them until Nov

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Ended up with a pretty similar build and tires, but with a 120 Pike instead of the 34, and I feel bad for the terrible things I've done to that shock. It weeped oil like a mofo for a couple days, and then stopped, and doesn't feel bad now, but also doesn't feel great. Debating between rebuilding it or just going piggyback. Also feel like this bike really deserves good brakes.
    Yeah, my Sid is pretty weepy. My understanding is that's just lube working it's way out and not ther actual damping oil blowing past seals. But glad to hear yours hasn't completely shat the bed yet. Fingers crossed that mine lasts longer than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I felt the same about the Ripley, which seems like a twin to the Spur (but not as good looking).

Hope E4 brakes made a world of difference and saved a few grams compared with the 2 piston XTs.

A DVO Sapphire fork made the front end all smashy-smashy, and then I had to go and get a Topaz piggyback shock to balance it out. There is no out-riding either end anymore. On the burliest, rockiest trails more travel would be nice, of course, but there really is something to better suspension, and it's well worth the 200g or so of weight gain.

The side benefit of the DVO stuff is that it's really easy to rebuild and change damper oil, which I think most people don't do often enough.

These downcountry bikes are really impressive.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Did switching to DVO change the feel of the Ripley platform? The platform on my Spur is very firm, that's something I liked about it. DVO has always seemed very plush comparatively. Nice for descending but not as great for climbing.

If anything I think it bobs even less while climbing, so I mostly leave it wide open. The Topaz switch doesn't do a full lockout, which some people complain about. I like it though, since I seldom climb on roads and prefer a little bit of suspension even on smoother trails. I also climb seated about 98% of the time, and at a pretty high cadence.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

2021 Bikes That Make Your Shorts Tighter.

Moving to Spur Country and pics will be coming.

Run Cush Core in the back.

EDIT TO ADD: was chatting at a reputable shop in Salida this weekend regarding the Sid on the Spur. Apparently some were sent out dry? People riding them and causing failure. Just a heads up.

Last edited by the_flying_v; 06-20-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    beautiful!!
    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    That is a really clean looking bike. The lines just make sense to my brain. Can’t wait to hear how it rides
    Only one water bottle...meh. Is that low brow trash even ridable?!?!?!

(...of course I'm jealous)
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

There is a build on the 'nets that has a piggyback...but the reserve was shortened/modified so that it wouldn't hit the downtube on full compression. I couldn't find it just now, but I'll keep looking.

EDIT: Found it:
    https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/dream-bik...r-all-country/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spur.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	377575

Name:	Spur2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	950.8 KB 
ID:	377576

Pretty sure I wouldn't build it that way...but SUPER swanky, for sure!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    There is a build on the 'nets that has a piggyback...but the reserve was shortened/modified so that it wouldn't hit the downtube on full compression. I couldn't find it just now, but I'll keep looking.

EDIT: Found it:
    https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/dream-bik...r-all-country/

Name:	Spur.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	377575

Name:	Spur2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	950.8 KB 
ID:	377576

Pretty sure I wouldn't build it that way...but SUPER swanky, for sure!
    Huh, that's interesting. I hadn't really considered reservoir / downtube clearance, but I was also mostly thinking dpx2, which has a much shorter reservoir. I've seen some spur / dpx2 pics, so it seems like it fits.

Haven't found it online yet, but wonder if it's possible to run a DPX2 on an SB115 instead of the DPS. 190x45 is available in the DPX2. Can't see why it wouldn't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by the_flying_v View Post
    EDIT TO ADD: was chatting at a reputable shop in Salida this weekend regarding the Sid on the Spur. Apparently some were sent out dry? People riding them and causing failure. Just a heads up.
    The Sid forks were having issues early on with bushings. I started noticing some play in my fork last fall. Had it sent back to SRAM, fork was gone over a month before hearing back they couldn't replicate the issue and sent it back. Issue was gone, my shop said they'll sometimes claim they couldn't replicate but fix whatever was wrong.

FWIW, service kits for the SidLuxe have been out of stock everywhere. If you happen to find one, be sure to grab it. Presume SID kits are the same.