Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Meh

What they tout in their "Sine" suspension is exactly what I hated about the suspension on my Nomad 3 and Sentinel 1. Regressive to sag point makes it really really tricky to accurately set sag since it kinda hammocks around 30% for a variety of pressures. Then regressive at the end of stroke makes it super easy to bottom out.

The whole progressive / regressive thing on that sine suspension is 99% bullshit. The "curve" is effectively just flat. It's straight linear. They keep some *very* minor wiggles in it to dodge some patents.

That thing is basically a yeti sb5.5 with moderately updated geometry, and now with wheel size and travel options.

That’s pretty much what every PB comment said...

May not be groundbreaking, but I like this direction of multiple wheel size/travel options, like what GG, Rocky Mountain, and many others are starting to do.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Cross-post from the 2021 Supply thread:

It's time to put up or shut up for AC's new bike. A shop 1.5 hours away has a S2 Stumpy EVO Gloss Clay in stock and is holding it for me through the weekend. Jenson has some SB130s (C1 build) arriving in a week and I've reserved one. I have until Saturday to obsess about this decision. Any thoughts on StEVO vs. SB130? I'm leaning EVO because:

-$1000 cheaper for almost the exact same parts spec
    -Little to no weight difference for a more capable bike (the EVO might even be lighter after I replace the heavy Rhythm 36 with a Mezzer? I bought the Mezzer in the fall and it's ready and waiting)
    -The EVO has gobs of adjustability and the SWAT box
    -Pinkbike BOTY 2020 winner
    -She's way hot for the clay color

I'm slightly concerned that the EVO could be a little too much bike, but reviews all seem to say that the EVO climbs great despite blurring the line between Trail and Enduro. She parking lot tested another EVO that's her size but the wrong color at another, much closer shop earlier today. She said the sizing was perfect and it felt super light. I called around and no one nearby has a small SB130 to throw a leg over.

She'll be stoked to the moon with either bike. She bounced off some trees a few years ago, got a pretty good concussion and her confidence never fully recovered. If the extra margin for error with the EVO helps keep her upright it might be worth being a little slower than the SB130 would be on the ups.

"She said the sizing was perfect and it felt super light."

Done. Stop waffling. There will always be another bike that you think might be more perfect. Ignore them.

^^^That's the kind of swift kick to the nuts I come here for.

Despite being the evil empire, specialized makes some pretty nice bikes these days.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That’s pretty much what every PB comment said...

May not be groundbreaking, but I like this direction of multiple wheel size/travel options, like what GG, Rocky Mountain, and many others are starting to do.
    I'm kind of torn on this trend. On paper it makes a ton of sense, and it seems like a good way to keep costs down.

The flip side is that using some of the same frame bits across dramatically different travel bikes comes with some compromises. Aside from having to build the frame around the burliest iteration, I think the suspension designs suffer a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Despite being the evil empire, specialized makes some pretty nice bikes these days.
    Yeah, and the latest cycle of stumpy's and stumpy evos seem to be home runs. Just looking at some of the reported prototype counts they did a TON of R+D on these to make them right.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm kind of torn on this trend. On paper it makes a ton of sense, and it seems like a good way to keep costs down.

The flip side is that using some of the same frame bits across dramatically different travel bikes comes with some compromises. Aside from having to build the frame around the burliest iteration, I think the suspension designs suffer a bit.
    Since you rode 3 different GG bikes sharing the same main chassis, which model/size did you feel suffered most?
    I've ridden 3 myself, but they are a lot more similar in travel (Smash, Gnarvana, MegaTrail). To me, I feel like the suspension tends to match the intent fairly well, but the geometry starts getting a bit outside the ideal once you get to the extreme ends of the travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Since you rode 3 different GG bikes sharing the same main chassis, which model/size did you feel suffered most?
    I've ridden 3 myself, but they are a lot more similar in travel (Smash, Gnarvana, MegaTrail). To me, I feel like the suspension tends to match the intent fairly well, but the geometry starts getting a bit outside the ideal once you get to the extreme ends of the travel.
    I actually never got to try the Gnarvana iteration, but I agree with your take - the further you get from the "middle" bikes, the more there's a sacrifice. On the Gnarvana, as best as I can tell, the sacrifices are more in terms of the Geometry (seat angle gets a bit slacker, rear end gets pretty long). But between the Smash and the Trail Pistol that I rode, the differences were pretty noticeable. I thought the Smash was an awesome bike and did a good job with everything that that class of bike should do. The Trail Pistol, aside from being fairly overweight for what it is, felt a bit off - the suspension was kind of harsh, and didn't really match the otherwise "aggressive" geometry. Given that the TP is competing in a fairly stacked field of comparable bikes, I think there are quite a few that are better (although none that can be converted to a Smash).

Patiently waiting for the upcoming long travel 29er from Revel. My Rascal has been hands down the best pedaling /performing mid travel 29er owned to date. The CBF rear end is 100% Legit... have it currently overforked to 150mm up front / 130mm rear. A 160 front 140 or 150 rear would be bomb diggity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the flesh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210306_124429.jpeg 
Views:	131 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	366164

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    In the flesh

yes! gloss clay ftmfw. it’s ridiculously easy to ride. rims are a little soft ime but everything else is perfect. in love with the tires too.
    bumps are for poor people

What geo settings have you been running? Nice to hear on the tires, the tread pattern looks solid.

This bike deserves carbon wheels but it's going to be a while before I can swing it.

In the flesh

Dood! That thing looks sick!!!

What geo settings have you been running? Nice to hear on the tires, the tread pattern looks solid.

This bike deserves carbon wheels but it's going to be a while before I can swing it.
    stock settings High/Med. haven’t touched the adjust as i’m a little spooked by the headset cup and it’s feels great as is. did go with the bigger .86 spacer despite fox’s rec to get a little more progression.
    bumps are for poor people

The cat is out of the bag!
    New 2021 Rocky Mountain Instinct. 29er 140r 150f Trail bike.

Name:	C35273EE-06C8-4FD7-8E02-970500F2C579.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	366559
    I ordered one back in August when it was still under a media embargo, but let's see when this thing finally arrives.
    Rocky is weird in the marketing philosophy, they do not want to do a media release of new model until its available on the store floor for customers. This new bike left distributers last week and arrived at some shops yesterday.
    Rocky Mountain 2021 Instinct
    NSMB Review
    Pink Bike Review
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 03-09-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Sweet!
    Now I am intrigued by the to be released Element...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

that's the same as Santa Cruz's model, kinda makes sense to me. Heard those instincts are already sold out through 2022.

Damn that’s a nice looking bike.... and I can maybe actually see one in person and buy it??

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    that's the same as Santa Cruz's model, kinda makes sense to me. Heard those instincts are already sold out through 2022.
    Ya, my shop cannot add any 2022 models to their order currently. Booking for 2022 opened in August (2020) and by mid Sept the allotted bikes were spoken for.

That’s a nice looking bike. Will be very versatile I bet.

I don't need a 160/170 smash em bike, especially for the sanitized trails where I live in Colorado.
    With my current Intense T275 I lowered the fork to 150 and the rear suspension to 140, and only run 2.3/2.4 tires.