Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Altachic got a new knee and turned 40, so new bike is happening. Considering the following non-dentist new school 29ers:

-Meta TR 29
    -Trance X 29
    -Ripmo AF

Thoughts? Anything else in the $4k and under price point I should consider.
    If I were living out west again, the Meta for sure. I love mine out here in the east, and it's the 2019 model - not even the new 2020 version.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Altachic got a new knee and turned 40, so new bike is happening. Considering the following non-dentist new school 29ers:

-Meta TR 29
    -Trance X 29
    -Ripmo AF

Thoughts? Anything else in the $4k and under price point I should consider.
    You can do a guerrilla gravity smash for around $4k with their lower end build.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That's a really good bike, but the $4k build on the Meta TR is pretty crazy for the money. I'd have a hard time looking away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    That's a really good bike, but the $4k build on the Meta TR is pretty crazy for the money. I'd have a hard time looking away from that.
    Just looking at parts to parts comparison (not the frame) - why do you like that Meta TR Race parts pkg more than the Ripmo AF SLX?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Just looking at parts to parts comparison (not the frame) - why do you like that Meta TR Race parts pkg more than the Ripmo AF SLX?
    Well, I was talking about the Smash in my last post. Which is a great bike, but the the $4000 build isn't as nice as the other stuff we're talking about. The Ripmo AF sounds good on paper too. A lot of it comes down to the suspension though. I *know* the RS stuff on the Meta is really good. I haven't ridden anything recent from DVO, so I'm not saying it definitely is not good, but it's an unknown (to me), making the Commencal a much safer bet.

Yeah, I hadn't actually looked at the spec on the meta. That's a pretty sick build for $4k. And actually, the ripmo slx build is really good too. Tough to say which is a better call (although I'd probably lean commencal, as long as she's good with the coil shock / 35 lb bike).

Pretty crazy for the money ...

But does AC want a 35 lbs bike?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post

Yeah - porky bikes are one thing for us fat fuckers... but isn't she a tiny person? I'd go full bling to celebrate the new knee.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    The Meta would win easily for me out of those. It looks like it wants to party. Might not be the best daily driver around these parts though, depends on what she’s into riding.
    Yeah, the PB review makes me want one. It's not an accident I put it at the top of the list. She rides the usual--CC, Quarry, PC, Crest, So. Utah, so all buff to all rock and everything in between. Generally prefers a long up to a long down. She doesn't send jumps or drift corners but she's a solid descender.

I'd love to get her a Revved GG, but the NX Eagle drivetrain on the base build makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. I think she'd prefer Shimano 12 sp to SRAM anyway and all those bikes have it. I also have a spare set Dominions in the parts bin.

Well, I was talking about the Smash in my last post. Which is a great bike, but the the $4000 build isn't as nice as the other stuff we're talking about. The Ripmo AF sounds good on paper too. A lot of it comes down to the suspension though. I *know* the RS stuff on the Meta is really good. I haven't ridden anything recent from DVO, so I'm not saying it definitely is not good, but it's an unknown (to me), making the Commencal a much safer bet.
    Got it. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm looking at the Essential build, which is listed at 33 lbs. The Race build with the coil shock and 160 Lyrik is definitely way overkill. Her current bike weighs over 32 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - porky bikes are one thing for us fat fuckers... but isn't she a tiny person? I'd go full bling to celebrate the new knee.
    Short, but not tiny. Girl would make short work of the watermelon challenge. We aren't poor by any means, but a dentist bike isn't happening unless a crazy good used deal falls out of the sky and COVID seems to have made those disappear.

Sounds like you’d rather have a porky frame and better drivetrain - vs a nicer frame with NX build that can be replaced with GX stuff over time?

At $4k complete you are looking at one vs the other.

Two bikes in that price range I think about are the Marin Rift Zone Carbon 2 (SLX build, DPX2, 34 fork) and the Intense Primer 29 (NX build, DPX2/36 Performance).

Intense frames are very stiff and very fun to ride, although a bit too progressive for my taste. Hard to use the full travel stroke but it does catch you very nicely on flow trails and big drops.

I never tried that Marin Multitrac system but the geometry is dialed and the parts spec seem very intelligently chosen.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Ok, I just looked at that RipMo AF spec-
    Didn’t realize what you are getting for $4k. That’s such a solid all around build I dunno how you can beat it.

Yeah it’s $800 more than the Commencal Essential or Trance X 2, but it’s a dialed ride-ready spec with nothing to complain about and probably nothing you’d ever desire to upgrade. Even for lightweights, in-line shocks won’t feel nearly as good as a reservoir shock on descents longer than 500’ of vert.

You can forget I ever said anything about Marin now. That frame is probably not gonna be any lighter than the Ripmo AF frame, and I’d rather have the wider fork over the slightly better derailleur. Not to mention it’s supposed to be a so-so climber compared to the RipMo AF.

Now the only question is, can you wait until March/April? because that’s how backed up Ibis and Shimano are ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Sounds like you’d rather have a porky frame and better drivetrain - vs a nicer frame with NX build that can be replaced with GX stuff over time?
    The base GG build only saves maybe one pound over the alloy bikes and they seem like a way better deal straight out of the box. The guy with the black Pistola on PB has dropped his price a few hundo and it looks more tempting.

Now the only question is, can you wait until March/April? because that’s how backed up Ibis and Shimano are ...
    Jenson seems to be showing the Ripmo AF as in stock right now: https://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-Ripmo-AF-SLX-Bike-2021

Commencal is also saying March. Waiting isn't too big of a deal, she has a perfectly functional bike right now and there's only ~6 weeks of riding left.

Commencal is also saying March. Waiting isn't too big of a deal, she has a perfectly functional bike right now and there's only ~6 weeks of riding left.
    This is obviously speculation, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if companies that are currently saying March don't actually deliver until much later than that. It sounds like there are massive delays on quite a few components, and it only takes one piece of the puzzle to delay the whole bike.

Not sure if that affects your decision, but there might be some value in going with something that's actually available.

On a different note, lord help me but I want the new Stumpjumper Evo.

This is obviously speculation, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if companies that are currently saying March don't actually deliver until much later than that. It sounds like there are massive delays on quite a few components, and it only takes one piece of the puzzle to delay the whole bike.

Not sure if that affects your decision, but there might be some value in going with something that's actually available.
    I'm not unconcerned about this scenario. I don't like rushing into big purchases in general so waiting has some inherent attraction, maybe a killer used deal might pop up over the winter, and it gives me time to maybe save some more money and get her more bike. But, it would suck to be deep into spring and still be waiting.

Damn, the EVO Comp build is whole lot of bike for the money. Do you have any idea when they're shooting for them to be available?

early november.
    bumps are for poor people

Seriously. Evil empire status notwithstanding, Specialized has some nice bikes in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    early november.
    I may have to embrace the dark side.

im on that side with a comp S5 on order. bagged the devinci troy idea when I found out this wasn't going superboost.
    bumps are for poor people

About goddamn time! Hah!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

there's only ~6 weeks of riding left.
    There’s a lot more left than that if you scuttle local holiday plans and get down to Southern U for Turkey day or Christmas!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    im on that side with a comp S5 on order. bagged the devinci troy idea when I found out this wasn't going superboost.
    What the hell is the difference between "carbon chassis and rear-end" and "full carbon frame"? Are weights for these published anywhere?

What the hell is the difference between "carbon chassis and rear-end" and "full carbon frame"? Are weights for these published anywhere?
    I haven't checked this so I might be super wrong, but it's probably aluminum vs. carbon links.