Page 14 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    ^^^ My friend had one last year and liked the bike, but had major problems with the pivot hardware and getting Alchemy to take responsibility. He basically took a huge loss on the bike just to get rid of it, and said he knew of a few others doing the same thing. Personally I think they look ugly and cheap.
    Hunh. Yeah, passing fancy, most likely.

A poor-man’s SB 5.5 29”...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Stumpjumper Evo Comp S5 sitting in my shop right now. maiden voyage later today. this thing is light and long. shorts (rather pants) are quite tight at the moment.
    bumps are for poor people

2021 Bikes That Make Your Shorts Tighter.

Not that anyone cares about my non-dentist bike, but I finally made a decision and just ordered a 2021 Trance X 29er 2. May be a bit porky but the geometry looks dialed and its a killer deal for mostly SLX build with 4 piston brakes. Can't wait to have it in my hands!

New bike day is new bike day, congrats to Westoxified and snowaddict99
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Anyone ride a Propain? I haven't heard much about them, but damn do the Tyee and Hugene look sexy.

Anyone ride a Propain? I haven't heard much about them, but damn do the Tyee and Hugene look sexy.
    Nope. And not that I have any use for one, but that Spindrift looks BONKERS!!!!!

https://www.propain-bikes.com/us/bik...ide/spindrift/
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...ng-a-leap.html

Name:  Spin.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  219.2 KB

No use...but WANT!

Any update on the Druid?
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Any update on the Druid?
    Waiting for my i9 wheels and the rear shock to finish the build.... hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I should have a Deviate Highlander in November to test as well. Looking forward to seeing how they compare.

So, I haven't had a new bike in 12 years and don't know when I will be able to, but I have at least started daydreaming about it. And started looking at bikes, prices, specs, etc. And started compiling a list of companies, and was amazed at how many there are! Many of these I know nothing about other than seeing them mentioned here or on FB, and seeing they have a website (so maybe they are vaporbikes). And I am sure I am missing some/many. I put an asterisk next to the ones that I think are solely direct-to-consumer. When I finally do get the coin to buy, I have no idea how I will decide which one. This is what I have so far:

Alchemy
    Bianchi (no FS)
    Bird
    BMC
    Cannondale
    Canyon *
    Commencal *
    Cube
    Deviate
    Devinci
    Diamondback
    Evil
    Fezzari *
    Felt
    Foes
    Forbidden
    Fuji
    Giant
    GT
    Guerrilla Gravity *
    Haro
    Ibis
    Intense
    Jamis
    Juliana
    Knolly
    Kona
    Liv
    Lynskey (no FS)
    Marin
    Marin
    Mondrake
    Mongoose
    Moots (no FS)
    Niner
    Norco
    NS
    Nukeproof
    Orbea
    Pivot
    Privateer
    Propain
    Ragley (no bikes on website)
    Raleigh
    Reeb
    Revel
    Rocky Mountain
    Salsa
    Santa Cruz
    Scott
    Specialized
    Spot
    Surly
    Terry
    Transition
    Trek
    Vitus
    Yeti
    YT *
    Last edited by Danno; 12-15-2020 at 05:17 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Lol can you list all the brands?

Go demo a Spot Ryve. I can with 100% certainty say you will love it.

Transition is D2C.

First you should decide where you want to ride the bike; that will guide/narrow your choices...Then, don't buy a Specialized.

...or should I say: then: buy a Transition.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

First you should decide where you want to ride the bike; that will guide/narrow your choices...Then, don't buy a Specialized.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Transition is D2C.
    Not solely. There are plenty of transition dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Lol can you list all the brands?

Go demo a Spot Ryve. I can with 100% certainty say you will love it.
    Ha, I guess I wasn't clear. I actually am trying to list all the brands, just as an exercise, and this seemed a good thread to do it. I am not demoing anything and am not bike shopping. Just daydreaming of the day when my wife gets a job and we have money.

I already know where I ride and what type of bike I'll be looking for* (and it won't be a Specialized). But again, this was just a surveying exercise, for fun. Not shopping right now.

* A trail bike in the 120-140 travel range. I don't ride lifts, but do a lot of climbing (because I like a lot of descending) and want something that climbs really well. And I figure that any modern bike, even the less travel less burly ones like the category I mention, will be a VAST improvement over my 2008 Yeti when it comes to the descent.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    <snip>
    * A trail bike in the 120-140 travel range. I don't ride lifts, but do a lot of climbing and want something that climbs really well. And I figure that any modern bike, even the less travel less burly ones like the category I mention, will be a VAST improvement over my 2008 Yeti.
    I think you're def on the right track. Whatever it is will likely be a HUGE improvement over your '08. Just make sure you don't get one with a shitty Fox fork.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Just make sure you don't get one with a shitty Fox fork.
    What's the most recent Fox fork you've ridden?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Ha, I guess I wasn't clear. I actually am trying to list all the brands, just as an exercise, and this seemed a good thread to do it. I am not demoing anything and am not bike shopping. Just daydreaming of the day when my wife gets a job and we have money.

I already know where I ride and what type of bike I'll be looking for* (and it won't be a Specialized). But again, this was just a surveying exercise, for fun. Not shopping right now.

* A trail bike in the 120-140 travel range. I don't ride lifts, but do a lot of climbing (because I like a lot of descending) and want something that climbs really well. And I figure that any modern bike, even the less travel less burly ones like the category I mention, will be a VAST improvement over my 2008 Yeti when it comes to the descent.
    To be honest, you really can't go wrong with just about any new bike these days. I always tell my clients- find a bike that fits your riding style/preference, a bike that fits you, and one you can get a good deal on. I ride a lot of the same stuff you do, so with the trail bike category you should lean towards more travel (140'ish) if you favor the descents, or less travel if you like stuff like West Mag, Betasso, etc.

You're welcome to come check out any of the bikes I have in the next month or two, and I'm happy to talk bikes too. I'll have/had GG Trail Pistol, Revel Rascal, Forbidden Druid, and Deviate Highlander. Maybe a Canyon too, depending on timing.

I think you're def on the right track. Whatever it is will likely be a HUGE improvement over your '08. Just make sure you don't get one with a shitty Fox fork.
    yeah, I am already the slowest guy on the up, I don't need a new bike to make me an even slower climber. But I am not the slowest guy on the down, and a new modern trail bike will kill it compared to my current ride. Don't know squat about components but I guess I'll figure that out when the time comes. Will also have to make the decision of whether to buy new or used. Because I won't have gobs of money to spend, new probably means D2C. But maybe I win the lottery or my wife gets a very high paying job, we'll see. All speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    What's the most recent Fox fork you've ridden?
    2018 Fox 34

I’d guess that a newer endurbro bike climbs better than your 2008 FS, let alone a modern ~140mm bike

To be honest, you really can't go wrong with just about any new bike these days. I always tell my clients- find a bike that fits your riding style/preference, a bike that fits you, and one you can get a good deal on. I ride a lot of the same stuff you do, so with the trail bike category you should lean towards more travel (140'ish) if you favor the descents, or less travel if you like stuff like West Mag, Betasso, etc.

You're welcome to come check out any of the bikes I have in the next month or two, and I'm happy to talk bikes too. I'll have/had GG Trail Pistol, Revel Rascal, Forbidden Druid, and Deviate Highlander. Maybe a Canyon too, depending on timing.
    Hah, my brother in law is looking at bikes, and I pretty much told him just that, that he really couldn't go wrong with just about any new bike these days.

And thanks for the offer. I am getting WAY ahead of myself here, just playing around, but when the time comes that I have money I may give you a shout. And Forbidden and Deviate, those are 2 brands I never heard of and didn't have on that list. Gonna add them.

I just made/posted that list because I thought it was kind of funny and that someone might find it useful.

I found the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I found the problem.
    Yeah - no doubt there exist *non-shitty* Fox forks... I've just never had the opportunity to ride one. My advice to avoid *shitty* Fox forks stands, though.

I want your Yeti 575 to break so you have to buy a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I want your Yeti 575 to break so you have to buy a new bike.
    Being a Yeti, it's an absolute MIRACLE it hasn't already broken.