Page 36 of 59 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    With all due respect to that Lynskey (which is definitely a sweet frame), that thing is nowhere near awesome / classic enough to warrant a bunch of fuckery with welding on a new headtube. That's deep into "just buy a new frame" territory.

Prove me wrong. Email him

https://www.dekerf.com/frame-repairs-modifications/

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Prove me wrong. Email him

https://www.dekerf.com/frame-repairs-modifications/

You email him and get back to us. I bet the cost will be in the range of just get a new frame.

I'll go talk to my titanium bicycle welding friend about yet another dimwit who thinks that modifying an old bike is super easy. He gets people who want a modern bottom bracket or a different seat tube diameter beyond 27.2 all the time. His answer is to tell the customer to just deal with being out of date, get an adapter, or build a new frame. It is never let me chop the old tubes and Frankenstein in new tubes. These aren't Legos kid.

No way Dekerf would touch that Lynsky with a 50ft pole. Those twisted tubes would make it a nightmare to fixture to properly remove the current headtube. Sell the POS to any sucker that will take it, it's not a classic worth putting effort into.

Yes a builder could replace the headtube...no I don't think you'll find a competent builder that would take it on.

Haaa youre doing you again.

You aren't gonna win this one without talking to Dekerf. It would be humbling to learn you are wrong. It is part of becoming an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    With all due respect to that Lynskey (which is definitely a sweet frame), that thing is nowhere near awesome / classic enough to warrant a bunch of fuckery with welding on a new headtube. That's deep into "just buy a new frame" territory.
    To paraphrase Chris Rock, that it can be done doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    No way Dekerf would touch that Lynsky with a 50ft pole. Those twisted tubes would make it a nightmare to fixture to properly remove the current headtube. Sell the POS to any sucker that will take it, it's not a classic worth putting effort into.

Yes a builder could replace the headtube...no I don't think you'll find a competent builder that would take it on.
    Pffft, what would you know about frame building?

Got nothing eh? Copy that

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    To paraphrase Chris Rock, that it can be done doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Got nothing eh? Copy that

Make sure when you talk to Dekerf you mention it is a Lynsky twisted tube Ti frame. Use the phone so you can hear him laugh at you. Email they will politely decline.

Hmmm, isnt there some connection between litespeed and lynskey......

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/cracked...s-hope.361848/

Interesting. Youre welcome simpletonClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210506-124724_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg 
Views:	50 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	373679

Citing an mtbr thread as proof of something might be a new low for this forum.

Like this forum is any better. A distinct inability for most to admit theyre wrong. Emtb anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Citing an mtbr thread as proof of something might be a new low for this forum.
    Lol

The funny thing is that questions on why things arent done have created some really unique builders who then push the art of building. Then you have this guy suggesting things that builders don't want to do unless client brings a boatload of money and patience to the table.

Deeb level whataboutism from the last 5 or 6 posters.
    Find where i said it would be inexpensive. Ill wait.
    Lynsky/litespeed does it. If the frame has setimental value , as the op stated, i gave him a humble opinion. I said "i think" because i was fairly certain i had heard that people have it done. I didnt say he definitively should have it done. New ti frame is probably 3k. If op's unique frame, with sentimental value, could be modernized at the same time as having a ht size that extends the use its an option. Op has to decide the level of sentimental value. I think it'd add to the story along with the unique tubes, especially if it was modernized. A unique oppurtunity that you wont get from alu or xarbon.
    Simpleton than chimes in with it cant be done because welding dropoouts is totally different mumbo jumbo. Then the rest of the tint dick buthurt cliche gets there whataboutisms in . Just because you have a posse of condescending douches doesnt mean youre not wrong. Fyi

"I think you could get Lynsky..."

That is what you said. We say we doubt it. It isn't easy, they probably don't want to, and it is expensive.

Then you brought up some dropout nonsense that you never even explained.

So keep typing on your computer and getting heated. It is still shit advice. Don't keep doubling down on your opinion and expect to win.

I merely pointed out that the discussion was a new head tube and you posted a link to extend the head tube for $300 which doesn’t involve nearly the same amount of work. Carry on.

Youre both still not admitting that its something they do. They do it because people want it done/duh
    I only mentioned dropouts because that was my last memory of someone having their ti frame repaired/rewelded. Then simpleton spews out a bunch of nonsense on why that doesnt compare.
    You'd think at this point you'd be embarassed. But then more scholars chime in with whataboutisms and its a popularity contest. Please continue
    #bareassed

Just remembered. One of the last times shirk chimed in unexpectedly was to get some group slams in about emtb's, aimed at me. Now he's planning an emtb frame build.
    #imnotwrongyourewrong
    #shalligoon

Dumbass. A builder will build you most anything you are willing to throw money at. A builder will not make something unsafe so there are limits. Chopping out a headtube for a modern one with new geometry is not something any normal qualified builder is gonna do at the click of the button. Keep hashtagging your way towards the phone to call a builder to get that info 1st hand.

Your dropout comparison is still basic bitch nonsense. Plenty of builders will put on a SS dropout or weld disc brake tabs. Your gnarbro HT suggestion is not on that level.

It's still bad advice.

My point was when I looked on the website you posted to have a head tube replaced, that service was unavailable while adding stack height to an existing head tube was available. Kind of funny to me that you posted a website to prove something with a website that said it was unavailable.

If replacing a head tube, it is absolutely possible. It is absolutely going to be expensive and possibly not worth doing. But hey, I've spent money on stuff people think is dumb too. Personally, I wouldn't spend any money on that frame. But, it's not my frame so not my decision. Jeeze were taking this deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    My point was when I looked on the website you posted to have a head tube replaced, that service was unavailable while adding stack height to an existing head tube was available. Kind of funny to me that you posted a website to prove something with a website that said it was unavailable.

If replacing a head tube, it is absolutely possible. It is absolutely going to be expensive and possibly not worth doing. But hey, I've spent money on stuff people think is dumb too. Personally, I wouldn't spend any money on that frame. But, it's not my frame so not my decision. Jeeze were taking this deep.
    Fair enough. Appreciate the common sense opinion. I only posted that first link of the headtube extension because it showed it can be done. Similar load bearing on a ti weld. It popped up straight away on teh googles. Ti is the realm of the artisan for the most part. Companies come and go. People still crave a ti frame but not enough to keep all the artisans in business. Im guessing thats what happened with that builders options. Id also guess theyd have to put an extension top and bottom of the head tube but i didnt read to far into it. Anyways, turns out litespeed do indeed replace whole headtubes. Id imagine their process would be fairly straight forward. Mitering and welding is their thing and one small tube. What could go wrong/enter butthurt posse with whataboutisms

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Dumbass. A builder will build you most anything you are willing to throw money at. A builder will not make something unsafe so there are limits. Chopping out a headtube for a modern one with new geometry is not something any normal qualified builder is gonna do at the click of the button. Keep hashtagging your way towards the phone to call a builder to get that info 1st hand.

Your dropout comparison is still basic bitch nonsense. Plenty of builders will put on a SS dropout or weld disc brake tabs. Your gnarbro HT suggestion is not on that level.

It's still bad advice.
    Youre wrong simpleton. Just admit it. Man or pussy?

Just remembered. One of the last times shirk chimed in unexpectedly was to get some group slams in about emtb's, aimed at me. Now he's planning an emtb frame build.
    #imnotwrongyourewrong
    #shalligoon

I assume you mean my joke about DOT regs for Rec Site's trails?

Any idea to change the headtube on about 90% of the bikes ever build is still a stupid idea. ANY Lynsky isn't in that 10% where it's a good idea.

I'll take the pussy thanks. You can have the man. Anymore stupid questions or advice?

It's on you gnarbro. Call Dekerf or Lynsky and ask. I'm the one disagreeing with your bad advise for that twisted Ti frame.