Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    So, a 1 liter water bottle fits in the Medium Altitude..

I thought this would be useful.
    It took a little modifying of an Elite Cannibal water bottle cage (but there might be other cages with this capability).
    This was very well thought out by Rocky Mountain.
    33Oz. Is enough for *most* mid-week rides...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0894BF5D-8135-4871-8DBB-59DEBB99E53C.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	603.8 KB 
ID:	348513

Name:	B0827BF4-9FD4-44F1-B440-135E88EF4A7B.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	565.5 KB 
ID:	348511

Please excuse the messy holes, the drill bit was hard to control at first.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Hoffs!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Yup. I should have featured the decal more prominently. Tim has been very good to me.

Nicely done! What crank boots are those? Most of what I've found have been for RF and SRAM.

It’s one of those, I don’t remember. I had to ream out/cut the backsides of them to get the bolt hole to fit properly, though. I *think* they are for Sram.

EDIT: they are for SRAM carbon cranks.
    Last edited by rideit; 11-23-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    Nicely done! What crank boots are those? Most of what I've found have been for RF and SRAM.
    I'm running RaceFace Alloy boots on my XT cranks without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    That looks like a nice ride. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it after you've spent some time in the saddle.
    OK... here are some thoughts on the Druid after a couple weeks of solid riding. These rides were all on the CO Front Range trails, typically ~2-3k feet of climbing with steep, rowdy, rocky descents that I'm very familiar with, so I know how past bikes have felt. I'm definitely not a technical or overly analytical bike reviewer, it's all about feel to me. I made a few adjustments to tweak suspension (more air up front, lighter spring in back) but otherwise the bike was pretty dialed.

- It's super plush and planted on chunky descents and rails the corners... but to be honest, I think that's more the feeling of the coil shock than the suspension. It feels similar to the GG Smash I had earlier this year (which also had a coil). So maybe it punches a little above its 130mm travel? That said, I didn't feel like I was riding better or faster with the bike, and I rode some super rowdy stuff here to test it out. I was trying to get a feel for the suspension and find something different about it, but you really have to dig to find a difference. I think it feels very similar to the Revel suspension (which I like a lot) and a touch more plush than the GG suspension.
    - The STA is only 75* - compared to 78* on my Trail Pistol- so it feels sluggish on steep and/or sustained climbs. It just doesn't feel efficient like the Trail Pistol and the Ripley I rode a ton last year. On the trails I ride regularly the climbs are steep and sustained, so I personally want a bike that I can hammer on if needed. Maybe there's a bit of drag with the idler pulley?
    - That said, the bike absolutely floats up techy climbs... probably a touch better than the Trail Pistol and Ripley. It's hard to quantify obviously, but it just feels different up those sections and I'm sure it's because of the suspension design.
    - The bike feels heavy to me... I don't have a scale, but I bet it's a couple lbs heavier than my Trail Pistol (which is actually built up pretty light for a TP). Granted it has the CC Inline Coil shock on it, but otherwise it's a pretty pimp build. Compared to the Ripley or Ripmo, it's probably 3-4 lbs heavier for a similar build.

Overall, I really like the bike but personally I don't think it's groundbreaking for what it is... a 150/130 trail bike. It's not noticeably better than a bike like the Rascal or Trail Pistol on the descents, but it's noticeably slower pedaling and climbing than those bikes. I feel like the suspension design should be on slightly longer travel applications, where the focus is more on the descents and not as much on all-around riding so you don't care about the climbing deficiency or weight. Deviate is sending me their Highlander demo that's setup as a 160/140 bike, and I'm curious to see how that compares as I think that's more in line with what the bike should be.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

Overall, I really like the bike but personally I don't think it's groundbreaking for what it is... a 150/130 trail bike. It's not noticeably better than a bike like the Rascal or Trail Pistol on the descents, but it's noticeably slower pedaling and climbing than those bikes. I feel like the suspension design should be on slightly longer travel applications, where the focus is more on the descents and not as much on all-around riding so you don't care about the climbing deficiency or weight. Deviate is sending me their Highlander demo that's setup as a 160/140 bike, and I'm curious to see how that compares as I think that's more in line with what the bike should be.
    I think this is important to be said and it's probably a hard thing for a lot of people (whom spent serious coin on a bike) to say. So, thanks for that honest introspection.

Were you at White Ranch a weekend or two back? I drooled over a druid as it drove away.

Curious if you notice any weirdness in quick, tight corners?

On high pivot DH bikes I've ridden, cornering took some getting used to since the rear end gets so much longer when you push through a corner. That lengthening rear end made the bikes tend to run wide, at least compared to "regular" bikes that tend to get shorter as the suspension compresses. Once I got used to it it was fine, but there was a learning curve.

I've wondered if that's noticeable on the new breed of short travel high pivot bikes. Or maybe the rearward travel of the rear axle isn't so significant that it's noticeable in corners.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I think this is important to be said and it's probably a hard thing for a lot of people (whom spent serious coin on a bike) to say. So, thanks for that honest introspection.

Were you at White Ranch a weekend or two back? I drooled over a druid as it drove away.
    I was... I'm usually easy to spot since I have my white F150 with the Chasing Epic decals on the side.

Toast- I didn't really notice anything weird about cornering, and I definitely had the bike on some super tight, techy and steep terrain. That said, I wasn't specifically focusing on that so it's entirely possible.

Toast- I didn't really notice anything weird about cornering, and I definitely had the bike on some super tight, techy and steep terrain. That said, I wasn't specifically focusing on that so it's entirely possible.
    Right on. At least on the DH bikes, it was pretty noticeable until I got used to it. So I'm guessing that means it's not a big deal on the trail bikes, which is great.

smmokan, how's that fork feel? been on the previous version?
    bumps are for poor people

OK... here are some thoughts on the Druid after a couple weeks of solid riding. These rides were all on the CO Front Range trails, typically ~2-3k feet of climbing with steep, rowdy, rocky descents that I'm very familiar with, so I know how past bikes have felt. I'm definitely not a technical or overly analytical bike reviewer, it's all about feel to me. I made a few adjustments to tweak suspension (more air up front, lighter spring in back) but otherwise the bike was pretty dialed.

- It's super plush and planted on chunky descents and rails the corners... but to be honest, I think that's more the feeling of the coil shock than the suspension. It feels similar to the GG Smash I had earlier this year (which also had a coil). So maybe it punches a little above its 130mm travel? That said, I didn't feel like I was riding better or faster with the bike, and I rode some super rowdy stuff here to test it out. I was trying to get a feel for the suspension and find something different about it, but you really have to dig to find a difference. I think it feels very similar to the Revel suspension (which I like a lot) and a touch more plush than the GG suspension.
    - The STA is only 75* - compared to 78* on my Trail Pistol- so it feels sluggish on steep and/or sustained climbs. It just doesn't feel efficient like the Trail Pistol and the Ripley I rode a ton last year. On the trails I ride regularly the climbs are steep and sustained, so I personally want a bike that I can hammer on if needed. Maybe there's a bit of drag with the idler pulley?
    - That said, the bike absolutely floats up techy climbs... probably a touch better than the Trail Pistol and Ripley. It's hard to quantify obviously, but it just feels different up those sections and I'm sure it's because of the suspension design.
    - The bike feels heavy to me... I don't have a scale, but I bet it's a couple lbs heavier than my Trail Pistol (which is actually built up pretty light for a TP). Granted it has the CC Inline Coil shock on it, but otherwise it's a pretty pimp build. Compared to the Ripley or Ripmo, it's probably 3-4 lbs heavier for a similar build.

Thanks for the review. I've been interested in hearing more about these bikes but it's a bit disconcerting if it feels noticeably heavier than your Trail Pistol. The biggest complaint I have about my Pistola is how heavy it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Thanks for the review. I've been interested in hearing more about these bikes but it's a bit disconcerting if it feels noticeably heavier than your Trail Pistol. The biggest complaint I have about my Pistola is how heavy it is.
    I have my TP built up fairly light... carbon cranks, carbon handlebar, smaller XT 12-spd cassette (10-45), lighter saddle, 900g tires, etc. I bet it's not 30 lbs.

Westfox- so far the Helm II feels great- very similar to the Lyrik I've got on the TP. No experience on the previous version other than one ride last winter with it on a Reeb SqweebI need to play with the volume spacer and add a little more bottom out resistance, yesterday I took a pretty big hit and bottomed out hard. But that was the only time I noticed any issues. I apologize for the very non-technical review, I'm probably not the best guy to analyze things because I tend to set it and forget it once I have it dialed to my liking.

Edit to add: the Druid still kicks ass... it rips on the DHs and is super plush and playful. I'm just wondering if that suspension design isn't better served as a 140-150mm rear travel AM/Enduro bike vs trying to be a big hit trail bike.
    Last edited by smmokan; 11-23-2020 at 06:19 PM.

2 new Canfield 29er bikes being released tomorrow. Nice lines and geo looks really nice. Progressive but not overboard. Nice standover. The "tilt" would fill a empty slot for me. The "lithium" with ohlins shock and fork seems like a good deal. Looks like Canfield has made some big strides. Quite the line up now

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

And Lance and Michelle (and their boxers) are great peeps.
    I hope they really benefit from pandemic purchasing.

Coming off a Druid. The Transition Spur is a rocket in comparison and punches way higher than its 120/120. Digging the lighter, smaller travel bikes coming out with slacker head angles.

Name:	IoXtAzoSTDGPk2xs8N3afw.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	349524

Quote Originally Posted by roverdoc View Post
    Coming off a Druid. The Transition Spur is a rocket in comparison and punches way higher than its 120/120. Digging the lighter, smaller travel bikes coming out with slacker head angles.

Name:	IoXtAzoSTDGPk2xs8N3afw.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	349524
    Replacement for a trail bike? I’m thinking of this as my do it all rig for the PNW. Bikepacking to bike park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Replacement for a trail bike? I’m thinking of this as my do it all rig for the PNW. Bikepacking to bike park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bike park?

Here in New England I do feel the limits of the Spur in some rock gardens at speed, not sure how it would do in the park....not that I ride park tho.

Quote Originally Posted by snowday View Post
    Bike park?

Here in New England I do feel the limits of the Spur in some rock gardens at speed, not sure how it would do in the park....not that I ride park tho.

What do you think causes the limit? After reading everything i've seen on the bike, I've been thinking of getting one for New England riding, but building it up with a pike instead of the SID (same travel, but hoping stiffer stanchions and better damper would improve handling in rocks). I'm keeping a dedicated park bike, looking for something i can use for new england trail riding, and then swap a light weight wheelset on and ride cross country near boston.

Doesn’t the SID have 35mm stanchions now? I think it’s the lowers that are heavier and stiffer in the Pike. Maybe the CSU too ... but probably not the stanchions.

I actually really wanna try that fork out on a short travel trail bike, sounds awesome.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

There is a 35mm SID in addition to the 32mm SID, The 35mm SID is mostly lighter than the pike due to a much lighter damper (damper is much smaller and contains much less oil). It sounds like it is a much more limiting fork than the pike. For non-racing purposes i think i would rather carry the extra 3/4 lbs of the pike, but i'm only going off second hand knowledge, I haven't ridden the SID.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_B10 View Post
    What do you think causes the limit? After reading everything i've seen on the bike, I've been thinking of getting one for New England riding, but building it up with a pike instead of the SID (same travel, but hoping stiffer stanchions and better damper would improve handling in rocks). I'm keeping a dedicated park bike, looking for something i can use for new england trail riding, and then swap a light weight wheelset on and ride cross country near boston.
    First, I love this bike. I really like how the suspension is more firm/supportive for the riding I do in Western Mass/Vermont that the more plush 5010 v2 I had before. Even on xc/trail riding here I use almost all the travel in the suspension but it is not harsh feeling and I haven't slammed through the travel yet. I havent gone off more than a foot or two drops at most.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    2 new Canfield 29er bikes being released tomorrow. Nice lines and geo looks really nice. Progressive but not overboard. Nice standover. The "tilt" would fill a empty slot for me. The "lithium" with ohlins shock and fork seems like a good deal. Looks like Canfield has made some big strides. Quite the line up now

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    The Tilt has me re-thinking my laser focus on a sub 27# bike and leaving me with a grand towards building that puppy up. Am I really a carbon snob now?

https://canfieldbikes.com/collection...-trail-am-29er

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Doesn’t the SID have 35mm stanchions now? I think it’s the lowers that are heavier and stiffer in the Pike. Maybe the CSU too ... but probably not the stanchions.

I actually really wanna try that fork out on a short travel trail bike, sounds awesome.
    Yeah, I don't have first hand experience with the new SID, but a shop buddy has had to deal with a huge number of blown up ones already. Some corners of the internet believe it has to do with a bad batch of OEM ones with poor bushing tolerances. I've also heard the theory that it feels so solid and stiff out of the box, and is coming on bike with such fun geo that folks are hammering it way harder than anything built on an XC chassis should be able to take.

Either way, look through any Spur owners thread on PB or MTBR or Vital and they've all got a few people with blown up SIDs haha. Not sure what fork I'll end up with on mine when it shows up.