Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    I realized that Transition's projected wait times for the Spur line up perfectly with when I'll want to start building up a new bike for next spring, so I've got one on order. As much as I love my big bike, I'm stoked to get something that makes gobbling up miles of unremarkable trail fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I realized that Transition's projected wait times for the Spur line up perfectly with when I'll want to start building up a new bike for next spring, so I've got one on order. As much as I love my big bike, I'm stoked to get something that makes gobbling up miles of unremarkable trail fun.

Nice! What else was under consideration?

2021 Bikes That Make Your Shorts Tighter.

Is anyone looking at the Spur scared about Transition’s first time doing flex stays? Or is this not their first time doing them ...

Buddy of mine snapped his Giant Stance seatstay a month ago. Of course they replaced the rear triangle under warranty. A properly manufactured stay shouldn’t snap, as the forces and strain on them should be well within endurance limits for the material, but any tubular or welding defects could manifest as a critical crack propagation.

Carbon is a totally different material than aluminum, but defects can still manifest if the process is not not carefully controlled. Hopefully Transition has the line all dialed ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

[Is anyone looking at the Spur scared about Transition’s first time doing flex stays? Or is this not their first time doing them ...]

Eh, maybe I should be? IDK, I've heard nothing but good things about Transition's customer service, plenty of other brands (that I trust less) have done bikes with flex stays for years and years without major issues, and they really don't have to flex that much. If you watch the PB Huck to flat on the Spur those stays barely move. So I'm willing to risk it. Especially on a second bike that I'm going to put sketchy tires on and force myself to only ride on longer, less aggressive rides. I don't really plan on finding the sharp end of this bike very often.

[Nice! What else was under consideration?]

Eh, not much really. Epic Evo would be cool too, but Spur was easier to make happen, and the Spur timeline is sorta perfect for me. If a super good deal on a Highball or something had popped up I may have gone for it as well.

Basically, I've spent the last five years trying to figure out what bike works best for me in the Tetons, with plenty of big gravity rides, as well as really long but technical XC rides and some bike packing. Sold my hardtail and a fat bike, and figured instead of trying to compromise and coach NICA and maybe race some XC on my Enduro I may as well save for a pedally bike, and be able to put heavier, more durable parts on the big bike.

Flex seat stays are marketing hype. They move 1mm maybe. I wouldn't worry. That part of the frame rarely breaks.

Yeah, I think more than the flex stays, I'd worry that a bike that light, with that geo would tempt me to get way more rowdy on it than it's really meant for, and I'd end up exploding the bike (and/or myself.)

Cy, sounds like you have the right idea with putting scary tires on it and being serious about keeping it within the intended use.

2021 Rocky Mountain Instinct and Altitude? The insider news from Rocky was that they would do a product launch just after Labour Day. Keep your eyes peeled soon.

EDIT:
    Apparently its dropping tomorrow, based on Jesse Melamed's Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/jessemelamed/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 15.48.00.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	654.2 KB 
ID:	339347
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 09-08-2020 at 01:50 PM.

https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/altitude/2021-0

One thing I am not getting here, the Carbon 99 model is listed as 29#’s and change, and the XTR version is 32 #’s and change, with (I think?) all other things being equal besides ASX.
    I think XTR is actually a little lighter, can any of you eagle eyes spot the differences?
    Last edited by rideit; 09-09-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

One thing I am not getting here, the Carbon 99 model is listed as 29#’s and change, and the XTR version is 32 #’s and change, with (I think?) all other things being equal besides ASX.
    I think XTR is actually a little lighter, can any of you eagle eyes spot the differences?
    Lyrik is a lot lighter than a 38, EXO+ tires instead of DD, carbon wheels, etc.

Yup, I see the differences now. Going to build mine up from the frame with a Zeb, light carbon Wheelset, exo+, etc, so it will probably be around 30#’s.

Going to build mine up from the frame with a Zeb
    Mezzer is 250g lighter, just sayin'.

Well, so is the 36 I already have...

Except the Mezzer is as stiff as the Zeb and 38.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Except the Mezzer is as stiff as the Zeb and 38.
    I like the Mezzer a lot, but I've ridden it back to back against a Zeb and that's definitely not true.

Generally positive ride review. (Wish it was a little more in depth).

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...tude-2021.html

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I like the Mezzer a lot, but I've ridden it back to back against a Zeb and that's definitely not true.
    Fair enough. The specs say they're a wash but real world is what matters. Whether it's worth the weight penalty when your goal is a really light build (relative to other burly long-travel bikes) is still an open question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Fair enough. The specs say they're a wash but real world is what matters. Whether it's worth the weight penalty when your goal is a really light build (relative to other burly long-travel bikes) is still an open question.
    Yeah. The Mezzer is impressively stiff fork a fork that's more in the 36/Lyrik weight class, but the added beef on the Zeb does make a difference, albeit at a significant weight penalty. Can't speak to the 38 yet, but I'm hoping to change that soon.

Crazy, they had already shipped these to stores and embargoed all the info?

https://www.facebook.com/14181655596...1857832291324/

Jeff does a decent review on it. My thoughts on my meta seem to echo his in regard to the steep sa. Bit of a handful on slow tech/minimim speed limit. Great for climbing non tech though.I could use a ride 9. Love the meta at the park or any dh though

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

The embargo was super-duper tight this year. I normally have multiple sources, and no one was talking.

is there a thread of bikes that are like a cold shower? is it the dawn of the flex-stay? are they finally offering unique non-motor bikes for euros and not americans? big oof from the big S:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9361.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	339486
    bumps are for poor people

Double down tires, carbon wheels, and a few other spec choices.

Also... it might be like 29.9lbs vs 32.0...

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Spur was easier to make happen, and the Spur timeline is sorta perfect for me. If a super good deal on a Highball or something had popped up I may have gone for it as well.

Basically, I've spent the last five years trying to figure out what bike works best for me in the Tetons, with plenty of big gravity rides, as well as really long but technical XC rides and some bike packing.
    What timeline were you quoted on the Spur? A local shop said a couple weeks ago they ordered one in my size and it should arrive end of the month. Their communication is bad so I don't trust much of anything they say. I've heard much longer timelines elsewhere and the website looked to say 5 mos for one color and "call us" for the other. Interested in a shortish travel 29er for backcountry rides and some bikepacking. I won't be able to use much of a seat bag but the open front triangle would compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    What timeline were you quoted on the Spur? A local shop said a couple weeks ago they ordered one in my size and it should arrive end of the month. Their communication is bad so I don't trust much of anything they say. I've heard much longer timelines elsewhere and the website looked to say 5 mos for one color and "call us" for the other. Interested in a shortish travel 29er for backcountry rides and some bikepacking. I won't be able to use much of a seat bag but the open front triangle would compensate.
    Not actually sure. I said "before the snow melts in town in April" and my dealer said "cool, whatever." It sounds like the numbers on the website are for when there's an excess that aren't spoken for already by dealers. I know he said Transition is being flexible about bumping pre-ordered bikes that people flake on over to dealers who have orders ASAP so it sounds like dates are all very approximate.

Grim Donut part 2 was worth the wait.