Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Did you call him out on the use of his ebike on a non ebike trail? They really enjoy it when you call them out, stutter and don't know what to say in reply. Just tell him you are a trail ranger and next time you see him you'll ticket him.
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Holy shit this is genius! Can we get a batch of “Trail Enforcement Officer” t-shirt’s?

SPLATTTTTTT
    rather than lie about who you are and be confrontational about him breaking the rules, you can just tell him that you saw a ranger 10 minutes ago on the trail.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Curious where people live that see lots of e-bikes. I assume closer to large towns/cities? I have seen 2 or 3 here in the last three years. I think the "I'll die before I ride that shit" mentality is still strong here. Regularly see 70 year olds crushing long rides the only fashioned way.....with their own leg power. Inspiring really.
    If you dont think Bozeman isn't right behind some of these places as far as certain trends i.e. e-bikes among other things than you might be delusional. I dont disagree that among most "longer" term residents that a get after it mentality is there but they are being replaced by new residents who are coming from all these locations that currently dealing with access issues and bringing their bias or lack thereof. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I'm in I dont really give a shit what other people do as long as it doesn't affect current access. I ride bikes and have fun with motorized activities as well. At least montana is a big state and I'm all for access for multiple user groups.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    My only issue with e-bikes is the potential for them to cause regular mountain bikers to lose trail access, which is a legit concern in some places.
    This, X3.

Ride whatever bike you want. But the ebikers poaching non e-bike trails (whether through ignorance or because they're douchebags) is a problem that's going to affect e-bikers and mountain bikers alike.

I've been riding my wife's e-bike occasionally. It makes it possible to go for a quick evening ride in areas that would otherwise be an all day slog with a lot of hiking. I still ride my mountain bike far more often, but the e-bike is fun in a different sort of way. Honestly, it fills the spot in my garage that was previously occupied by a dirt bike moreso than it replaces my mountain bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    So does a downhill bike have to yield to an uphill ebiker?
    Did this with 2 guys coming up a backcountry trail (e bikes not allowed) near the top of a tough 3,000' climb up all singletrack... I was descending and rushed to brake and get out of their way. Then they just whizzed by on e-bikes and I was pissed I put in so much effort to yield to climbing riders.

I don't dislike E-bikes, just their owners and not even all of them. Just the assholes.

But since they are assholes I would probably dislike them if they were on a P-bike, a horse or afoot.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Did you call him out on the use of his ebike on a non ebike trail? They really enjoy it when you call them out, stutter and don't know what to say in reply. Just tell him you are a trail ranger and next time you see him you'll ticket him.
    I keep my mouth shut these days don't waste any time calling people out on there shit and I'm up to my eyeballs with my own personal bullshit
    every day for the past two months I've seen stupid in action all day long you either learn to live with it or bail
    the amount of stupid this summer is mind blowing, when I'm so high I can barely walk but still keep it together and act like intelligent, but then people sober as can be are just dumb what gives

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Obviously you don't ride a Yeti
    Check

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    but the e-bike helps provides sense of false accomplishment.
    I'm with you. Wouldn't want someone to have a feeling I disapprove of! How dare they!!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Why I dislike e-bikes

I see mopeds on every trail now. Today I was like 10mi from the trailhead and a family complete with grand parents was asking me for directions. I say these people need to have a map if your motor gets you places you don’t belong.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    I see mopeds on every trail now. Today I was like 10mi from the trailhead and a family complete with grand parents was asking me for directions. I say these people need to have a map if your motor gets you places you don’t belong.

Hahaha, let’s see them push that 45lb hunk of carbon out even with the motor disengaged when they break a hanger or chain.

If only we could all carry little EMP machines with us on rides. Find a moped where it doesn't belong and POOF.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I like e-bikes. Lots of friends who drop kids off, ride around town as family, my 70 year old parents who are biking daily as transport.

But fucking hell. My last trail run was just a clusterfuck of 60+ year olds, heads down, motoring up climbs, zero awareness, running me off trails. Ebikes aren't the problem. Assholes are.

It's just that ebikes enable assholes.

localy the builder, the club vp the trail maintenace guy and various cool kids are on ebikes and its not a problem

I don't see folks riding hub motored bikes with a throttle, made from chinesium doing stupid things, those are out on the roads,

people riding the trail system have come from riding acoustic bikes so they got the gear and they know the drill

Before buying one I asked the people who matter an they said E bikes are OK

so localy there is social license
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-22-2022 at 10:40 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    localy the builder, the club vp the trail maintenace guy and various cool kids are on ebikes and its not a problem

I don't see folks riding hub motored bikes made from chinesium, the people riding them have come from riding acoustic bikes so they know the drill
    You live a very sheltered experience then. Lots of folks on ebikes I encounter have very little experience on "acoustic" bikes.

I kinda realize that ^^ today I was talking to a guy whom i beleive was American at the p-lot with a brand new E-heckler and he said there are lots of places down south and state side with E-bike restrictions

but we don't have them here

the builder actualy said to me he thot riding an e-bike at a constant 110 BPM was way better for your heart than maxing out and having to stop

we gots 500 members + the hikers walking dogs and trail runners ... some of the curmudgenly old fuck hikers can be a pain and don't see why they should stay off very soggy trails but everybody mostly plays niceley in the sandbox

Today at mach snell on the down I had to school some uphill riders who stopped for me that the uphill rider has the right of way, fukcers eh
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-22-2022 at 10:43 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The ebike shitshow is just getting started. Glad our trails remain nonmotorized.

Heavy bikes suck. Especially if the weight is a goddamn battery.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    The ebike shitshow is just getting started. Glad our trails remain nonmotorized.
    Ha. A sign won't stop the invasion. Almost all of our trails are signed non-motorized as well, but mopeders clearly don't think the rules apply to them. The shitshow is in full swing here.

Americans are intitled. Canadians are polite, eh?

The discussion is starting on our rails to trails about ebikes. Right now about 10-20% of the traffic is electric and not legal.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Ha. A sign won't stop the invasion. Almost all of our trails are signed non-motorized as well, but mopeders clearly don't think the rules apply to them. The shitshow is in full swing here.
    Sounds like it's time for some vigilante justice.

Hot topic!

I bought one specifically to use on the moto trails around here and still use my pedal bike 9/10 times.... but do realize I am not the norm.

Personally I think its an education thing. As far as I can tell the people selling them don't inform the buyers the places they can use them are limited.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    It's just that ebikes enable assholes.
    This. End thread.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Ebikes do seem to trigger them, and enable them

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Why I dislike e-bikes

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Ha. A sign won't stop the invasion. Almost all of our trails are signed non-motorized as well.
    In Colorado, non-motorized doesn’t necessarily mean no E-bikes. Almost all MUT’s here are open to E-Bikes, but still have non-motorized signs.

I also think education is key. Overall, anything that gets more people on bikes and out of cars, is good!

On all USFS land, non-motorized means what it says, at least for now. Some BLM and State lands have different rules.

USFS might start allowing this scourge onto non-motorized trails by redesignating them as motorized in the near future, per its recent ruling. The same memo also clarifies the (obvious) definition of a bicycle as a "solely human powered" machine.