Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Skids for milesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20200804_185636.jpeg 
Views:	173 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	336368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200804_185623.jpeg 
Views:	165 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	336369

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Boom!!!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I saw 3 Segways on a green trail. Those are ebikes rights?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

E-bikes are for moto trails or people over 60. My opinion will not change until I get one, then I will act like I’ve always been a fan of them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Welcome to the future. Have an 11-year old ride a regular bike one day and an e-bike the next, and them give them a choice as to which one they want to ride. Kids are getting fatter and lazier, plus you can sync your e-bike to your smart phone. Most bike shops I talk to are approaching or have already passed the 50% e-bike to pedal sales threshold. You don't need to justify them, they will just become the norm in the very near future. They are currently poaching non-motorized trails everywhere. Pretty soon they will just be "bikes' and we'll be on "p-bikes," if we haven't all gotten old and switched over already.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    ebikes for commuting are great. e cargo bikes are amazing, I put 4000 miles commuting on my longtail with a daycare dropoff/pickup in the first year. I rode 18-19mph on the bike path the same speed I would on my road bike. We can debate speed all day, 25 is way too fast and I think 15 is too slow for actually getting places but I think an enforced 18mpg speed limit and no gas would make sense for urban applications and getting people out of cars while still being usable. New job/house is less bike friendly so it is not getting as much use but it is a car replacement not a bike replacement.
    on singletrack is a different story, let them run on the moto trails or build their own.
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I don’t see the issue with eBikes at super popular / established MTB zones. Those places were the parking lot is filled with Tacoma’s and bike racks every weekend, that have uphill and downhill designated trials, where hikers stay away because there’s better places to hike. How is there any difference... I think of the standard riding zones in the Seattle area that have EBike bans (Tiger, RR). There would be zero difference to my user experience if they allowed eBikes.

Places where trail access is more shared or more contentious - sure, ban eBikes and enforce it.

The real problem comes when battery and motor technology improves enough that you basically have the equivalent of 250cc moto in something that looks like a bicycle. That’s going to cause major problems both in the urban bike lane and on singletrack. Going 50MPH thru downtown traffic in the green lane.... Going so fast up the singletrack climb that it’s getting rutted out and whooped...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I’ll likely own one for commuting or when I’m old and need the help. Till then I’m tired of every-single-ebike user trying to get me to buy one. I never feel compelled to tell someone to buy the bike I’m riding. STOP making it so awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The real problem comes when battery and motor technology improves enough that you basically have the equivalent of 250cc moto in something that looks like a bicycle. That’s going to cause major problems both in the urban bike lane and on singletrack. Going 50MPH thru downtown traffic in the green lane.... Going so fast up the singletrack climb that it’s getting rutted out and whooped...
    That's already out there. You can build it, easily. Quiet too.

E-bikes are great for the business of cycling, but terrible for the sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I saw 3 Segways on a green trail. Those are ebikes rights?
    Just wait until you start seeing One Wheels out there...
    No kick turns
    No mercy

So does a downhill bike have to yield to an uphill ebiker?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Id say the uphill ebike yield. Its easier to grt going again on the eeb. I try and yield to the dh traffic on whatever bike im on despite the general rule being opposite

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Heh, there’s a guy here with an almost identical setup. Gets him around OK. The mounts connecting motor to frame are a trip
    I ride one of those to work quite a bit. It’s enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    E-bikes are great for the business of cycling, but terrible for the sport.

Just wait until you start seeing One Wheels out there...
    I saw a woman on a unicycle riding dirt sidewalk mtb trail last month.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

i was at the top of a climb all alone a couple nights ago puffing down on a splif I brought with me realizing how great the world was then suddenly this guy comes up the climb with a huge smile on his face his big fat gut hanging out of his too tight jersey and way more relaxed than I was, I was like what the fuck, harshing my mellow, then I realized the out of shape flat land turd hearder was on an ebike on a trail he wasn't suppose to be on and no I didn't share with the punter

1. Not flip phone compatible
    2. Heavy.
    3. Expensive.
    4. Addiction.

The only problem I have with ebikers is when they catch you on a climb where there is no room to pass, and pulling off to the side means a struggle to get going again, then they ride your back wheel while you are just trying to survive to the next flat(ish) spot. But that is just like some dick on the downhill who figures you should pull into a bush to let them by. So far I haven’t seen a lot in our riding areas, I suspect that most people who are buying them are going to different spots where the trails are more open, and smoother because they aren’t experienced mountain bikers, and don’t have the technical skills to ride advanced trails, motor assist or not.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    i was at the top of a climb all alone a couple nights ago puffing down on a splif I brought with me realizing how great the world was then suddenly this guy comes up the climb with a huge smile on his face his big fat gut hanging out of his too tight jersey and way more relaxed than I was, I was like what the fuck, harshing my mellow, then I realized the out of shape flat land turd hearder was on an ebike on a trail he wasn't suppose to be on and no I didn't share with the punter
    Did you call him out on the use of his ebike on a non ebike trail? They really enjoy it when you call them out, stutter and don't know what to say in reply. Just tell him you are a trail ranger and next time you see him you'll ticket him.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Did you call him out on the use of his ebike on a non ebike trail? They really enjoy it when you call them out, stutter and don't know what to say in reply. Just tell him you are a trail ranger and next time you see him you'll ticket him.
    Holy shit this is genius! Can we get a batch of “Trail Enforcement Officer” t-shirt’s?

SPLATTTTTTT

Like the OP, I've seen a ton of e-bikes this summer around Truckee / Tahoe on trails they aren't supposed to be on. But it doesn't really bother me... I take the personal satisfaction of earning my descents and getting in better shape and just not worrying about what someone else is doing. I have a few friends who are in great shape that have e-bikes now and it allows them to go on some pretty big rides, so I have to admit I can see the appeal there.

My only issue with e-bikes is the potential for them to cause regular mountain bikers to lose trail access, which is a legit concern in some places. That's not really going to happen around here, however.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Curious where people live that see lots of e-bikes. I assume closer to large towns/cities? I have seen 2 or 3 here in the last three years. I think the "I'll die before I ride that shit" mentality is still strong here. Regularly see 70 year olds crushing long rides the only fashioned way.....with their own leg power. Inspiring really.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I’m not interested in ebiking singletrack, and I’m also not commuting or near an urban area; here’s a counterpoint of some possible uses that aren’t (i think) evil, trail abusive, annoying to other users, or problematic for agencies; maybe.
    I live 4 miles out of a small town, i can run in for groceries etc on a nice little two lane road without firing up my truck.
    I have lots of spring skiing options that are 5-25 miles with 3-5k vert behind locked FS gates for a month in spring. I’d rather not walk, or pedal with pack, skis, etc for day or even multi day trips. Trying to save the legs a bit here.
    All summer i can shuttle myself between trailheads on two lane roads for backpacking and peak bagging trips. Again, saving the legs and thinking outside my personal patterns. Also, hitching is tough these days.
    Maybe these are still dislikable uses, just throwing them out there.
    I recently sold my dual purpose moto to give the silent alternative a try; maybe I’ll be over it in a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Good reason for e-bike on single track: Trail maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Anything that gets more people on bikes, is a good thing,
    B/c I'm all NIMBY and "Get Off My Lawn," I wish less people were on mtbs...maybe even none. Lately, especially with this COVID, you can swing a cat without running into groups of newbs clogging up the trails. I'd prefer they go back to happy hour, or watching TV, or whatever they used to do.

...but, I guess I'm getting old. <shrug>
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I like mine and I’m the only person out most of the winter. It gets me out the door, when I normally wouldn’t ride.

Attachment 336363

What’s the difference between shuttling, riding lifts or e-biking? E-biking has the smallest carbon footprint.

Parking can be difficult here and I’d much rather bike to the store, bank or post office, than drive.

I hope we’re all crushing the pass on a regular bike, when we’re in our 80’s. But I’m betting most of us will probably be on e-bikes, if we’re riding at all.

Anything that gets more people on bikes, is a good thing,
    Word

Quote Originally Posted by powcom View Post
    I never feel compelled to tell someone to buy the bike I’m riding.
    Obviously you don't ride a Yeti

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    My only issue with e-bikes is the potential for them to cause regular mountain bikers to lose trail access, which is a legit concern in some places.
    This.

Also my issue with them is the general ignorance of trail etiquette that most e-bike riders have (at least here in Tahoe).
    No kick turns
    No mercy