Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Beruit...wtf?

And just like that, Beruit had a deep-water port.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    I can't believe the death toll is as small as they've been reporting. The port must have been empty.
    A lot of bodies close to the blast no longer exist in "body" form.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    CNN has some before and after satellite shots now. Damn. I can't believe the death toll is as small as they've been reporting. The port must have been empty.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/world...rnd/index.html
    Believe the blast occurred after 6pm. Not sure how that port operates compared to other world ports, but normally the major ports are operational on a 3 shift set up. I suspect it will take some time to account for all the bodies. I'm sure cadaver dogs are going through the wreckage.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

it looks like if that warehouse was in the city instead of over the harbor the whole town would be gone.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    it looks like if that warehouse was in the city instead of over the harbor the whole town would be gone.
    That grain mill took one for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    That grain mill took 2750 for the team.

FIFY

Sent from my SM-G935P using TGR Forums mobile app

Is it wrong to be thinking that most of the deaths were either in the immediate blast radius or due to falling/flying debri?

The reason I say that is there was a video on twitter that was taken at street level with a direct line of sight to the blast that couldn’t have been more than a few hundred yards away. How the fuck did those guys make it out?

I imagine that it would depend on the pressure of the shock wave at that spot. High enough pressure will disintegrate a human body.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    That grain mill took one for the team.

along with 85% of their grain.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

This is what happens to us when things go BOOM. It was reported somewhere that the blast wave pressure from yesterday exceeded 20 kg/cm2.

Humans
    1. dP is > 26 kg/cm2. Instant death, full body disintegration.
    2. dP is > 8 kg/cm2. Instant death, body throw back, disintegration of body parts.
    3. dP is > 5 kg/cm2. Fatal damage, 99% chance of lethal outcome. Disintegration of body parts, massive damage to soft tissue and bone .
    4. dP > 3.8 kg/cm2. Heavy damage, 75% chance of lethal outcome. In lucky case hospitalization for at least 2-3 months.
    5. dP > 2.5 kg/cm2. Moderate damage, 10% risk of fatality or hospitalization for 1-2 months.
    6. dP > 2.1 kg/cm2. Light injuries, hospitalization for 7-15 days.
    7. dP > 1.6 kg/cm2. Disruption of neural system up to loss of consciousness.
    8. dP > 1.1 kg/cm2. Rupture of tympanic membranes for average human.
    9. dP > 0.5 kg/cm2. Minimal safe distance for artilleryman.
    10. dP > 0.35 kg/cm2. Minimal distance of possible rupture of tympanic membranes

Edit- here's what's left of someone who was protected inside a car (NSFW):

https://twitter.com/forreddit4/statu...29547550404608
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Human resilience is pretty impressive.

These photos show Armenia street, which is adjacent to the blast site, right after the blast and then the next day.
    https://twitter.com/BeirutCityGuide/...82269726314499

Turns out, they were just mostly disintegrated.

Chuck Norris has survived pretty much that whole list.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post

And just like that, Beruit had a deep-water port.
    Looks like a great development opportunity. Room for condo towers, a marina and an entertainment district.

https://v.redd.it/ic9l8kj1u6f51
    Build up to boom. She’s apparently begging the man to come inside.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Turns out, they were just mostly disintegrated.
    That will make it difficult to come up with an accurate death count.

From Myth Busters - 5,001 lbs of ANFO. I know, not the same as ammonium nitrate. But still, pretty cool vid.

https://go.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...uck-high-speed

Also - this commentary from NYT op-ed.

By all appearances the port disaster did not involve the usual suspects — Hezbollah, Israel, jihadist terrorism or the government of neighboring Syria. The truth seems to be both duller and more disturbing: Decades of rot at every level of Lebanon’s institutions destroyed Beirut’s port, much of the city, and far too many lives. It is precisely the banality behind the explosion that captures the particular punishment and humiliation heaped on Lebanon.

So far, Lebanese officials are in agreement about what happened, though it’s likely that more than one “official” account will emerge. After all, this is Lebanon, a country deeply divided by politics, religion and history. But here is what we know as of now, according to reporting by credible Lebanese media: Some 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate unloaded from a disabled vessel in 2014 had been stored in a port warehouse. Then yesterday, a welding accident ignited nearby fireworks — which caused the ammonium nitrate to explode.

Ports are prime real estate for political, criminal and militia factions. Multiple security agencies with different levels of competence (and different political allegiances) control various aspects of their operations. And recruitment in the civilian bureaucracy is dictated by political or sectarian quotas. There is a pervasive culture of negligence, petty corruption and blame-shifting endemic to the Lebanese bureaucracy, all overseen by a political class defined by its incompetence and contempt for the public good.

It’s unclear what combination of these elements let a bomb-in-waiting sit in a warehouse for almost six years, moved fireworks next to it and allowed irresponsible work practices to be carried out nearby. But the catastrophe, while exceptionally severe, is the result of business as usual in Lebanon. The country is familiar with explosions, and it is just as familiar with disasters caused by failures of public services: a garbage crisis that dates back to 2015, an environmental catastrophe in 2019 and power outages this year that last up to 20 hours a day.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

A welding accident near fireworks near 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate. Darwin award for the welder?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    A welding accident near fireworks near 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate. Darwin award for the welder?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Is it wrong to be thinking that most of the deaths were either in the immediate blast radius or due to falling/flying debri?

The reason I say that is there was a video on twitter that was taken at street level with a direct line of sight to the blast that couldn’t have been more than a few hundred yards away. How the fuck did those guys make it out?
    From my (very) limited understanding, blasts go up in a cone shape, with the shock waves going both up and out. I guess you could be relatively close to the explosion and survive if you were at ground level (or below)?

With that said, a lot of the video from the 2015 Tianjin explosion was from dead peoples' phones that had already made it to the cloud before the impact hit.

Wiki says 21.6 million tons were manufactured in 2017. 80% Ag use. That's enough to fill ~10,000 Beirut sized warehouses. Where do they keep this stuff? I hope we have strong regulations. What's in your warehouse?

Amazing moment of life suddenly upended.
    https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1291037496919261185

Edit: wait, here it is more direct.

Man I worried we were gonna see her bloody corpse, thank goodness not.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    https://v.redd.it/ic9l8kj1u6f51
    Build up to boom. She’s apparently begging the man to come inside.
    Wow.

Name:  2wvngga7k8f51.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  100.1 KB
    Daniel Ortega eats here.