Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Ugh, this sucks. Sorry to all of you who knew him. Once upon a time he helped me out immensely with some boot fitting advice in that thread he started.

This confirms why road biking freaks me out and I don't do it - all it takes is one person falling asleep or not paying attention. :-(

Vibes to his family and all the Jackson Mags. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    So much thought going to Christy and the girls right now. Solid work mags.

I am stuck. I can't bear to dial his phone number. I don't have another. Want to talk with C. but don't know where to begin. Would like very much to help us help them.
    And my brain is just fried with the Loss of Stephen. Toughest week for me emotionally in a long time.

Thanks mags for the private vibes you've sent me. It helps.
    Vibes mang.

We forget just how hard such a loss is on the ever widening circle of influence. While we all concentrate on wife and kids, close friends are deeply affected by such a loss as well. Be strong, and reach out to his wife as soon as you can. Yes it will be hard for both of you, and there may not be much help wanted or needed, but just knowing that there is that support, and that people care and want to help goes an extremely long way.

I lost my mother a couple years ago, and the people that just called to offer help and support made a huge difference. Same was true after the fire. Just knowing that people are there for you gives one the emotional support needed to get through tough times.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Horrible. Rip in Powder, fellow mag.
    Old's Cool.

RIP Skiing-in-Jackson

Wow terrible.

Over the yrs I’ve exchanged PM’s with him. He was a writer who chose to raise his kids in the Mtns, and live a frugal life. He reached out earlier this yr and invited me to go stay in his VW Van in Jackson, told me about his business. I truly regret not making the trip now, guy obviously had a heart of gold. Very sad.

Vibes to his friends and family. Must be so hard to lose a good soul like that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This is terrible. A huge loss for his family, and the Jackson community.

So sad. Vibes to the family. He was amazingly generous in sharing his knowledge, he sent me some crazy detailed info when I posted a tough boot fitting question here, just out of the blue. The things he knew about slight changes year to year in boot models blew me away.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

rip
    very sorry to hear this
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Vibes mang.

We forget just how hard such a loss is on the ever widening circle of influence. While we all concentrate on wife and kids, close friends are deeply affected by such a loss as well. Be strong, and reach out to his wife as soon as you can. Yes it will be hard for both of you, and there may not be much help wanted or needed, but just knowing that there is that support, and that people care and want to help goes an extremely long way.

I lost my mother a couple years ago, and the people that just called to offer help and support made a huge difference. Same was true after the fire. Just knowing that people are there for you gives one the emotional support needed to get through tough times.
    yeah for real. you sent me a minty 91, never to be found again ball cap. organize.

we have electronic paper if they need help. werd.
    Last edited by byates1; 08-11-2020 at 02:44 PM. Reason: djongo org mssg.

always up and always down to get good people's family help.

RIP. horrible news.

McDonald Family info Update

I finally got in contact with Christy and Liberty, Stephen's widow and daughter.

I only had about 20 minutes with C. as they had family incoming right then. The conversation was brief but informative. And kind of a stiff one.
    I can handle a fair amount of shit, but death, and losing family and friends, is not my long suit.

First, She and the girls all seem to be doing Ok. They are not in a situation and haven't even considered a gofundme or needing anything.
    She's not high tech by choice, so she doesn't email. Text/calling seems best. I have her # and she said I could give it out to mags. Lemme know.
    Mostly, she asked me if I could get this thread printed out for her somehow. I'm sure we can get that for her, I dunno how though.

She told me about the accident, here goes:

He was riding to Illinois. In Iowa, he was already out at 8:30, riding down a country looking road from the pic. The car driver is a single mom who was moving from one residence to another that day. She had been packing late and was tired in the morning.
    While driving between places, she dozed off and went off the road, methinks to the right, then came to.

She overcorrected and veered back left; Over the center line and into Stephen who was pedaling down the opposite lane coming head on.
    It was sudden and over immediately, as I understand it. No pain or suffering on his part so far as C. knows.

The police/coroner's reports are supposed to be available shortly. Christy feels like it was an absolutely pure accident. She mentioned that they both felt like they had dodged a bullet or two in the last year so this wasn't completely unforeseen.

I think that family has embraced risk, like true wyoming locals. She was very collected while we talked, more than me. Hopefully I got all the facts right,

I'm gonna miss Stephen. He had so many of the attributes I value in a Ski Bum:
    He skied all the time. Probably every day, maybe 6 out 7.
    He was an expert/expert. He could get down anything he needed or wanted to.
    Bangin' the village for yeaaars.
    And Style. His Look, his technique, his coool vibe with anyone, his Hilarious sense of humor; Most especially doggin' the Man. So funny.
    Married for years with 3 daughters methinketh. A solid family man and successful skid couture entrepreneur.
    Yet he maintained a really low key vibe when skiing around. He was the jackson local with the ponytail, easy demeanor, long skis and vintage clothes in the Tram line. Always ready to crush a Big mtn. lap or pull over for a sesh.

Christy said she and the girls may take a stab at keeping the ski shop going this winter, still up in the air. She is doing the bike shop now in the HostelX.

I look forward to skiing them around next season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to skiJ, DJ2, and Self-Jupiter for the PMs. And all the Irie vibes and texts, etc.
    That's Gold.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 08-15-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: PMA

sigh.

thanks for the update, djongo. hang in there, man.

this is sad news, very sorry for those closest to sij.

Well that account is clear, it didn’t much matter what conveyance he chose that day, wrong place wrong time. RIP

Thanks for the update, it’s good to know the family is provided for. I’ll be sure to pop into the shop for sundries the next time I visit Jackson.

Thank you for the insight, Dj-

still, my sincere condolences...

Risk - it comes with adventure
    ( a bicycle is no match for even the smallest out of control car ) ;

I will work on printing the thread
    ( someone local with a home printer can do so easily... ) ;

as SFB wrote ( - I believe ),

' ski you on the other side '

( ski for You while we remain )

today, This hurts (again) .
    With love. tj
    Last edited by skiJ; 08-18-2020 at 05:49 AM.

Mostly, she asked me if I could get this thread printed out for her somehow. I'm sure we can get that for her, I dunno how though.
    Print view https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=335973&pp=40

Thanks, DU, very much.

Sounds like an awesome guy. I hope his friends and family find peace.

thanks dj. glad but not surprised that they are all dealing with it rationally.
    he has a son too, Blaze. i think he’s the 2nd in the sibling line after Eden.
    tragic to hear how it exactly happened but I guess ya...accidents do just happen. shiit

How about in the winter when everyone would be complaining about the crowds and lift lines etc and he would just post “Pow Day!” and a pic of one of the fam trenchtowning
    skid luxury

Thanks for the update dj. I don't think I could have made that call. It's really good to hear that they're OK.

Super bummered to read about Stephen. May Stephen ski the endless pow in heaven with other fallen brothers / sisters the ski community has lost all to soon. There is nothing I could add that hasn’t already been said about this incredible life that was cut all to short. Skiing with Stephen made you a better skier but I got the feel through the few times I was around him whether skiing, have a safety meeting or Just shooting the shit, he gave off a vibe that made you a better person. My heart goes out to his family and close friends.
    DJ you are a super caring individual with a heart of gold. May you find peace through this difficult time. Need to chat just call.
    always forward but never straight

DJ thanks for connecting us. That was informative and beautiful. Vibes to all you who were friends and to his family. He touched a lot of people in a positive way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I finally got in contact with Christy and Liberty, Stephen's widow and daughter.

I only had about 20 minutes with C. as they had family incoming right then. The conversation was brief but informative. And kind of a stiff one.
    I can handle a fair amount of shit, but death, and losing family and friends, is not my long suit.

First, She and the girls all seem to be doing Ok. They are not in a situation and haven't even considered a gofundme or needing anything.
    She's not high tech by choice, so she doesn't email. Text/calling seems best. I have her # and she said I could give it out to mags. Lemme know.

She told me about the accident, here goes:

He was riding to Illinois. In Iowa, he was already out at 8:30, riding down a country looking road from the pic. The car driver is a single mom who was moving from one residence to another that day. She had been packing late and was tired in the morning.
    While driving between places, she dozed off and went off the road, methinks to the right, then came to.

She overcorrected and veered back left; Over the center line and into Stephen who was pedaling down the opposite lane coming head on.
    It was sudden and over immediately, as I understand it. No pain or suffering on his part so far as C. knows.

The police/coroner's reports are supposed to be available shortly. Christy feels like it was an absolutely pure accident. She mentioned that they both felt like they had dodged a bullet or two in the last year so this wasn't completely unforeseen.

I think that family has embraced risk, like true wyoming locals. She was very collected while we talked, more than me. Hopefully I got all the facts right,

I'm gonna miss Stephen. He had so many of the attributes I value in a Ski Bum:
    He skied all the time. Probably every day, maybe 6 out 7.
    He was an expert/expert. He could get down anything he needed or wanted to.
    Bangin' the village for yeaaars.
    And Style. His Look, his technique, his coool vibe with anyone, his Hilarious sense of humor; Most especially doggin' the Man. So funny.
    Married for years with 3 daughters methinketh. A solid family man and successful skid couture entrepreneur.
    Yet he maintained a really low key vibe when skiing around. He was the jackson local with the ponytail, easy demeanor, long skis and vintage clothes in the Tram line. Always ready to crush a Big mtn. lap or pull over for a sesh.

Christy said she and the girls may take a stab at keeping the ski shop going this winter, still up in the air. She is doing the bike shop now in the HostelX.

I look forward to skiing them around next season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to skiJ, DJ2, and Self-Jupiter for the PMs. And all the Irie vibes and texts, etc.
    That's Gold.
    thanks i kinda felt in my heart this was a tragic accident not a malicious act of bad decisions
    i got no idea what this winters gonna hold
    but id sure love to donate some time and shop labor to C and the fam and hang w/you at some point
    or sell/donate some gear so they can make a run of it
    im pretty sure sij would approve
    stay strong and keep it goin on
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno